X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    From "Copland conducts Copland."
    Old American Songs. CSO/ Warfield.

really lovely singing, to say the least.
    This prompted me to listen to them again: first the Warfield and then, à la Suffolkcoastal, with the score to Hampson.
    Warfield is very special, but Hampson is impressive too.
    What wonderful arrangements these are, so beautifully and atmospherically/evocatively orchestrated.

Comment

Coming up shortly...

Mahler: Symphony No 10 - Adagio

[interval]

Bartok: Duke Bluebeard's Castle
      Anne Sofie von Otter - Judith
      John Tomlinson - Bluebeard
      Sandor Eles - speaker

Berliner Philharmoniker
      Bernard Haitink
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Frank Martin. Violin concerto. Baibe Skride. BBCNOW. Thierry Fischer.

Interesting music.

Comment

This evening:

Listening to my scores 168:

Verdi:
          I Lombardi - vocal score

Comment

I won't post links to these ones and many people will be familiar with them:

Finzi - Eclogue, Clarinet Concerto
            Alwyn - Green Hills, Part of Preludes

Ives - Symphonies 1-4
            Hovhaness - Symphony No 4, Prayer of St Gregory

Comment

Tippett: String quartet 2 (the one I'm most familiar with)
              Heath Quartet, Wigmore Hall
              Gramophone Chamber Music winner

(Using Deezer and my Sonos system......it's gone straight into the third quartet!)

PS: so then SQ3, SQ4, SQ5 (had forgotten how much I like this one), and now back to SQ1.
              Very pleased that I bought my partner a subscription to Deezer for his birthday; nice to have a present that I can share too!
              Last edited by Pulcinella; 19-09-16, 15:36. Reason: PS added.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                This prompted me to listen to them again: first the Warfield and then, à la Suffolkcoastal, with the score to Hampson.
                Warfield is very special, but Hampson is impressive too.
                What wonderful arrangements these are, so beautifully and atmospherically/evocatively orchestrated.
                I listened to the Hampson ( good guess of yours that I have them about the place also ) and I'd agree with what I think you are suggesting, that the Warfield is perhaps the better of two excellent performances. I'd be very happy with either.
                Warfield's singing tone is just superb. Or perhaps better recorded ?

Right now, brushing up on DSCH 5 with various recordings including Bernstein/ NYP, and Barshai. Looking forward to hearing this at the Barbican this Thursday.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  I listened to the Hampson ( good guess of yours that I have them about the place also ) and I'd agree with what I think you are suggesting, that the Warfield is perhaps the better of two excellent performances. I'd be very happy with either.
                  Warfield's singing tone is just superb. Or perhaps better recorded ?

Right now, brushing up on DSCH 5 with various recordings including Bernstein/ NYP, and Barshai. Looking forward to hearing this at the Barbican this Thursday.
                  I think that Copland himself gets more out of the orchestra than Wolff does, but maybe that's the recording too: a bit more 'punchy' in its detail.
                  Hope it's a good DSCH 5.

Comment

I have always liked the Warfield recordings. Among other areas currently being considered, I am trying to obtain fuller access to Rubbra and will follow people's uggestions. Not wholly won over at the moment but COTW could/will help. Also Diamond which may be too big a challenge (although Ives gets better and better). Can't quite decide whether Hovhaness who I quite like is totally convincing. I understand that the Americans don't take him seriously. WAILTN? Dvorak - In Nature's Realm (because of today's R3 Breakfast).

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                      Among other areas currently being considered, I am trying to obtain fuller access to Rubbra and will follow people's suggestions. Not wholly won over at the moment but COTW could/will help.
                      I imagine that his son Adrian chose the recordings used in COTW (where there is a choice) so they are probably good starting points, as they will have his endorsement.

That said, I prefer the old Chandos version of the Farnaby Improvisations to the newer Naxos recording being played, which to me sounds too rushed.

Comment

I imagine that his son Adrian chose the recordings used in COTW (where there is a choice) so they are probably good starting points, as they will have his endorsement.

That said, I prefer the old Chandos version of the Farnaby Improvisations to the newer Naxos recording being played, which to me sounds too rushed.
                        Thank you very much.

I sometimes think we should have a questions and answers thread.

For example, are there recordings of anything by Browne other than "To Gratiana......."?

I realise he died when very young.

Also how prolific was Burgess? I only know "A Manchester Overture".

Comment

Also Diamond which may be too big a challenge.
                          It might be worth looking through the American Music thread, or posting there, asking for suggestions.
                          I have a couple of original Delos CDs and a couple of Naxos reissues; more rewarding than Hovhaness, I would venture to suggest.

Comment

For example, are there recordings of anything by Browne other than "To Gratiana......."?

I realise he died when very young.
                            Yes: try here.

Comment

Oh thank you. That's just what I wanted. I only knew about the Ian Bostridge and In Flanders Fields discs. Thanks too vis a vis Diamond.

Comment

Turnage: Drowned Out
                                Bartok: Piano Concerto No 3
                                Peter Donohoe (piano)

[interval]

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring

City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
                                Sir Simon Rattle
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X