X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messiaen: Des canyons aux étoiles (Yvonne Loriod, Ensemble Ars Nova, Marius Constant). Might try the Inon Barnatan/Santa Fe/Gilbert live recording later.

Comment

I must try to have a listen to those Paul Kim Messiaen discs. Indeed that reminds me - there's another disc on the same label with a recording of something of mine on it that I've never heard, I guess I should order that too.

Comment

I saw the Gilbert recording on Spotify. Any recommendation?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Hiya Pet. I haven't listened to this particular recording for a long time. May have to now!(Re the Mahler! )
          I hadn't played Rattle's CBSO recording of Mahler 7 for many years but was pleasantly surprised to find it was a lot better than I remembered. The key, I think, is to listen at a higher volume setting than normal. Heard at a usual setting it sounds uninvolving but bump that volume control up and it really opens out and comes to life.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I saw the Gilbert recording on Spotify. Any recommendation?
            Not as yet. I am planning on streaming from QOBUZ at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              I hadn't played Rattle's CBSO recording of Mahler 7 for many years but was pleasantly surprised to find it was a lot better than I remembered. The key, I think, is to listen at a higher volume setting than normal. Heard at a usual setting it sounds uninvolving but bump that volume control up and it really opens out and comes to life.
              You know, Pet, I found that a lot of EMI CDs from that period are, imho, under-recorded. The worst offender was Nigel's cd of the Sibelius with Sir Simon and his Tchaikovsky with Okku Kamu which are so dim as to be almost unlistenable. I'm not sure why this should be but I don't think the 80's were a good time for EMI's CDs.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                You know, Pet, I found that a lot of EMI CDs from that period are, imho, under-recorded. The worst offender was Nigel's cd of the Sibelius with Sir Simon and his Tchaikovsky with Okku Kamu which are so dim as to be almost unlistenable. I'm not sure why this should be but I don't think the 80's were a good time for EMI's CDs.
                I didn't find that Nigel's Sibelius VC was a problem in this respect but do agree with your first sentence. With most of Rattle's CDs for EMI a considerable bumping up of the volume control works wonders and I'm not sure that the critics picked up on this. Listened to Rattle's Miraculous Mandarin the other night and it sounds terrific at a higher listening level.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  I must try to have a listen to those Paul Kim Messiaen discs. Indeed that reminds me - there's another disc on the same label with a recording of something of mine on it that I've never heard, I guess I should order that too.
                  I tried Googling you name, along with that of the label, but no hits were returned. Can you offer a clue or two?

Ah, found it using a different approach, Dark Ages for cello with two bows.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 02-04-17, 01:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    I tried Googling you name, along with that of the label, but no hits were returned. Can you offer a clue or two?
                    Shop classical & jazz new releases on CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, and more, featuring today's top labels & artists!

this maybe ?

top billing too.

Yours for £10.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Hope you have no neighbours!!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Hope you have no neighbours!!
                        I'm very fortunate in that my listening room backs on to my neighbour's driveway as their detached house is set further back than mine. The neighbours on the other side have my whole house between us so don't matter. In a residential area like this it's a considerable piece of good fortune.

Comment

Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre Du Printemps
                          Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati. 1959 recording (CD)

Comment

Beefy, I bet that's a self recommending recording?

Schubert

Mass no.6 in Eb, D950.
                            Soloists, Collegium Musicum 90, Richard Hickox.

Haydn

Mass no.12, in Bb, "Theresienmesse".
                            Soloists, The Monteverdi Choir,
                            English Baroque Soloists, Sir John Eliot Gardiner
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I'm in a French song phase and have been listening again to the superb Gram-award-winning Néère from Véronique Gens. She's at Wigmore for a lunchtime concert in May. I'm very tempted to make a excursion there.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre Du Printemps
                                Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati. 1959 recording (CD)

The Varèse items there can be found, along with all the other Varèse recordings Craft made with CBS, on this double album licenced from Sony to the Wounded Bird label in 2007 (cheaper across the Pond, of course. It was $16.58 including p&p to the UK when I got it in 2008).

Comment

Working...
                                X