X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though via QOBUZ, not a disc purchased from JPC. Brexit has ruled them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

These are well-crafted and entirely agreeable works by La Tombelle but thankfully I wasn't expecting anything of the elevated quality of Saint-Saëns, Franck, Chausson, d'indy and Massenet. There is much to enjoy on this Bru Zane set which is ideal for those wanting to explore the byways of French Romantic music.
      I've only recently discovered the Bru Zane radio stream based in Venice. Devoted to French music, uninterrupted in good sound. It has become one of the favourite presets on my tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        Parry
        Judith
        Sarah Fox (soprano)
        Kathryn Rudge (mezzo-soprano)
        Toby Spence (tenor)
        Henry Waddington (bass)
        Crouch End Festival Chorus
        London Mozart Players
        William Vann
        What did you think of it, BBMmk2? I thought it had some "good moments" in its genre but times have moved on, and I wonder if it will be performed much after this inititiative to bring it to wider attention again.........

But one for Parry enthusiasts - aren't we lucky with extending the availability of repertoire of such composers.

I have to say William Vann was extremely committed to the project (and BTW he is a super accompanist, I have noticed). Perhaps we will hear more of Wm Vann in the future than performances of "Judith"?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
          What did you think of it, BBMmk2? I thought it had some "good moments" in its genre but times have moved on, and I wonder if it will be performed much after this inititiative to bring it to wider attention again.........

But one for Parry enthusiasts - aren't we lucky with extending the availability of repertoire of such composers.

I have to say William Vann was extremely committed to the project (and BTW he is a super accompanist, I have noticed). Perhaps we will hear more of Wm Vann in the future than performances of "Judith"?
          I think I got put off him a bit by repeatedly singing "I Was Glad" with our choir but have become a recent enthusiast via a 3CD Somm set of his songs

Now in a mélodie phase:
          Early Fauré songs: Elly Ameling, Gérard Souzay with Dalton Baldwin
          More Fauré: Bernard Kruysen with Noël Lee
          Enesco, Hahn, Chausson, Debussy recital CD on Naive: Marie-Nicole Lemieux with Daniel Blumenthal

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            He didn't have the luxury of saying "thanks but no thanks, Your Whatever, I don't much feel like providing this particular content for you, I'd rather be thinking about my next masterpiece."
            Yup, that's fair Richard. I accept your explanation.

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            I think they’re delightful, but not in Matousek’s performance. I got to know them through Chorzempa’s recording and it is still a favourite - and very different from the one you were listening to.
            Yup, this too is fair. Unfair and unjust of me to judge them on one performance only. Thanks M.

Mario

Comment

Frederic Rzewski:

Pocket Symphony, for ensemble

Les Moutons de Panurge, for any number of instruments

Coming Together for speaker, bass instruments & ensemble

Performd by Eighth Blackbird

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                ... not a disc purchased from JPC. Brexit has ruled them out.
                does this mean that jpc.de are no longer sending to the UK? - or just that the service is not reliable?

I have to say that I am receiving deliveries from amazon.de and amazon.it and other overseas sellers with no problem (much to my post-brexit surprise)

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  does this mean that jpc.de are no longer sending to the UK? - or just that the service is not reliable?

I have to say that I am receiving deliveries from amazon.de and amazon.it and other overseas sellers with no problem (much to my post-brexit surprise)

Brexit has simply made the postal and C&E charges too high, in most cases. I also note that even before the actual Brexit deadline, many German vendors were excuding the UK from the destinations they were prepared to send to.

Comment

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post

Yup, this too is fair. Unfair and unjust of me to judge them on one performance only. Thanks M.

Mario

I played it this morning while doing the hoovering. It is the perfect music for domestic chores.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

I used to buy quite often from jpc, but now hardly ever. They can be good for cpo discs which they own. I do keep an eye out for good offers. It obviously saves postage to get more than one item. My only purchase in the last couple of years was March this year Mendelssohn male choruses and Boris Blacher Lieder (was only 3.35 when I bought it but now 17,99 - Success! Niche repertoire but up my street and only 9.10 Euros inc postage for two discs.

Comment

[BAlbert Roussell [/B]
                        Suite in F, Op.13 (1926)
                        Pour une feête de Printemps, Op.22 (1920)
                        Evocations, Op.15 (1910-11)
                        Katherine Rudge (mezzo-soprano)
                        Alessandro Fisher (tenor
                        François Le Roux(tenor)
                        CBSO Chorus
                        BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
                        Yan Pascal Tortelier

Bacchus et Ariadne Op.43
                        Le Festin de l’arignée, Op.17
                        BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
                        Yan Pascal Tortelier Tortelier.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
                          Richard, thanks for the clarification.

I might start another thread along the lines of, “Mozart is currently going through a bad phase”. Wasn’t there another thread recently which questioned Mozart’s legendary status?

I really didn’t mean to sound so critical of him apropos the Church Sonatas – I was merely disappointed in their quality.

Mario
                          Well, if you should ever fancy giving them another go, this is a very nice complete recording by some good names in early music:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                              I played it this morning while doing the hoovering. It is the perfect music for domestic chores.
                              The 7.00 p.m. Mixtape provides as a pleasant background while I'm washing up the supper things.

Comment

Beethoven
                                ‘Fidelio’, opera in two acts
                                Egmont Overture
                                Christa Ludwig (mezzo-soprano) Leonore; Jon Vickers (tenor) Florestan; Walter Berry (bass) Don Pizarro; Gottlob Frick (bass) Rocco; Ingeborg Hallstein (soprano) Marzelline; Gerhard Unger (tenor) Jaquino; Franz Crass (bass) Don Fernando; Kurt Wehofschitz (tenor) First Prisoner; Raymond Wolansky (baritone) Second Prisoner
                                Philharmonia Chorus (chorus master: Wilhelm Pitz)
                                Philharmonia Orchestra / Otto Klemperer
                                Recorded 1962 Kingsway Hall, London (opera) & 1958 No. 1 Studio, Abbey Road (Egmont)
                                Originally EMI – Remastered & reissued on Alto CD

Comment

Working...
                                X