• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    J.S. Bach – ‘Revelation’ – Alto Arias – Zvi Emanuel-Marial
    Cantata Geist und Seele wird verwirret, BWV 35
    & arias from St. Matthew Passion, St. John Passion, Christmas Oratorio & Mass in B minor
    Zvi Emanuel-Marial (countertenor)
    Sebastian Breuninger (solo violin)
    Michaela Kuntz (solo oboe / oboe d'amore)
    Shalev Ad-El (direction / organ)
    Plus unnamed chamber ensemble
    Recorded 2020 Christuskirche, Berlin-Oberschöneweide
    Hänssler Classic, new release

Richard Strauss
    Ein Heldenleben
    Burleske, for piano and orchestra)
    Bertrand Chamayou (piano)
    Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia / Antonio Pappano
    Roberto González-Monjas (concertmaster: Ein Heldenleben),
    Recorded Live, 2018 (Heldenleben) & Studio, 2020 (Burleske), Auditorium Parco della Musica, Rome
    Warner Classics, recent release
    I would have played the Bach after the Strauss, in order to recover my sanity!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Proms Inspires, Sensuous Delights....

Brahms
      Symphony No.3.
      Tapiola Sinfonietta/Venzago. Sony CD.
      (​Simply one of the best on record, in whatsoever context).

Robin Holloway Sea-Surface Full of Clouds Op.28.
      Sols/Chor/CLS/Hickox. Chandos CD.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Dave Smith's 5th piano concert – "Alla reminiscenza" (1993–4)

Dave retired from lecturing at Hertfordshire University 5 days ago. Fond as I am of just about everything I know of his music, this is my favourite. A very evocative performance given by him at the old BMIC venue off Oxford Street, many moons ago. The cloudburst and thunder, clearly heard through the open window, at the end, just added to the occasion.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I would have played the Bach after the Strauss, in order to recover my sanity!

I'm so glad you felt the need to tell me that!
          Last edited by Stanfordian; 05-08-21, 15:04.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

I'm so glad you told me that!

Yesterday I found out that André Jolivet, whose music I am having a bit of a love affair with at the moment, composed two piano sonatas. A friend once suggested that I should try and get the score of the first, as I would enjoy playing the Debussian slow central movement. The work was in fact composed in 1945, either in tribute to or as a memorial to Bartok. Given that Bartok had only died that same year, it would have had to have been composed in rather quick time. I'm not sure if Jolivet composed with white heat speed - there is much intricate detailing in the rhythmic working of even his more conventional pieces from that period (1945) suggesting need for fastidious care - but, apart from the impression created by the opening movement that Dutilleux must have been inspired by it for his own sonata of 1948, this turned out for me to be one of the disappointments in this composer's somewhat chequered output (as I am discovering).

Far more to my liking - and for me a brilliant work crying out for performance, nay broadcast, was the altogether tougher Second Piano Sonata of 1957, which probably signalled the turn to the less saccharine, more radical forms of expression of his late period. Here it is:

Christopher Falzone _André Jolivet : Sonate pour piano n° 2[...] la musique pour piano de Jolivet, un corpus qui n’a plus (ou pas encore) tout la place qu’i...

This, together with the Third Symphony, to which I have linked on the Electronics etc. thread, are among my most thrilling discoveries of the year.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Yesterday I found out that André Jolivet, whose music I am having a bit of a love affair with at the moment, composed two piano sonatas. A friend once suggested that I should try and get the score of the first, as I would enjoy playing the Debussian slow central movement. The work was in fact composed in 1945, either in tribute to or as a memorial to Bartok. Given that Bartok had only died that same year, it would have had to have been composed in rather quick time. I'm not sure if Jolivet composed with white heat speed - there is much intricate detailing in the rhythmic working of even his more conventional pieces from that period (1945) suggesting need for fastidious care - but, apart from the impression created by the opening movement that Dutilleux must have been inspired by it for his own sonata of 1948, this turned out for me to be one of the disappointments in this composer's somewhat chequered output (as I am discovering).

Far more to my liking - and for me a brilliant work crying out for performance, nay broadcast, was the altogether tougher Second Piano Sonata of 1957, which probably signalled the turn to the less saccharine, more radical forms of expression of his late period. Here it is:

Christopher Falzone _André Jolivet : Sonate pour piano n° 2[...] la musique pour piano de Jolivet, un corpus qui n’a plus (ou pas encore) tout la place qu’i...

This, together with the Third Symphony, to which I have linked on the Electronics etc. thread, are among my most thrilling discoveries of the year.
              I have a large collection of French music including some Jolivet. I rather enjoy his 'Chant de Linos'.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Xenakis: "Orchestral Works" (Mode)

I do hope that Brian Brandt is able to get the necessary funds together to release the promised Bly-ray version at some point.

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

Dufourt’s L’origine du monde. Some mysteries about this piece:

1. How to make sense of the reference to the Courbet pic.

2. How to understand Dufourt’s comment on time

Time is treated in a paradoxical manner - it unfolds both slowly and quickly. Its evolution is unique, accountable to the law of internal distortion, with a contradictory character that is the source of the form. Time is dependent on variable dominants, its course is interrupted then reinstated, never ceasing to progress, sometimes oscillating, sometimes polarised, able to distend or contract in upon itself.
                  Kawka is conducting - he makes it sound very nice indeed, and that despite the heavy portentousness, which for me is often a problem with Dufourt! The music is a sublime force of nature, the aural equivalent of a forest fire or something.
                  Last edited by Mandryka; 05-08-21, 19:09.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Dufourt’s L’origine du monde. Some mysteries about this piece:

1. How to make sense of the reference to the Courbet pic.

2. How to understand Dufourt’s comment on time

Kawka is conducting - he makes it sound very nice indeed, and that despite the heavy portentousness, which for me is often a problem with Dufourt! The music is a sublime force of nature, the aural equivalent of a volcano or something.

The picture's quite something! Anyway, thanks for bringing this piece to our attention. I knew of Dufourt but had never searched out and listened to his music. I have it on via youtube, currently.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Messiaen
                      Le Tombeau resplendissant
                      Les Offrandes oubliées, méditation symphonique
                      Un sourire
                      L'Ascension - Quatre meditations symphoniques:
                      a) Majesté du Christ demandant sa gloire à son Père
                      b) Alléluias sereins d’une âme qui désire le ciel
                      c) Alléluia sur la trompette, alléluia sur la cymbale
                      d) Prière du Christ montant vers son Père
                      Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich / Paavo Järvi
                      Recorded Live & Studio 2019, Tonhalle, Zurich
                      Alpha Classics, CD

Sabine Devieilhe & Alexandre Tharaud – ‘Chanson d'Amour’
                      Mélodies by Fauré, Debussy, Ravel & Poulenc

Sabine Devieilhe (soprano),
                      Alexandre Tharaud (piano)
                      Recorded 2019 Siemens-Villa, Berlin
                      Erato CD, new release

Comment

• DoctorT

Mahler
                        Das Lied von der Erde
                        Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

André Jolivet, Symphony no.3, with the Orchestre National de France conducted by the composer... following upon a mention by Serial_Apologist of this work, whose existence I was unaware of. I'm thinking how fine it would be to hear this dense and multilayered music recorded digitally with better balance and accuracy (it's a live recording from 1966 and seems to be the only recording that exists), but even so it's possible to hear what a beautiful and original composition it is. Thanks S_A for mentioning it!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Moving on... Hugues Dufourt, Lucifer d'après Pollock for orchestra, with the Luxembourg Philharmonic and Pierre-André Valade. Well, this did nothing for me at all apart from fill half an hour with more or less anonymous "modern" orchestra stuff... if that's how Pollock's painting "sounds" to M Dufourt, he and I must be seeing something very different in it. The other piece on the CD, Voyage par-delà les fleuves et les monts, is, like many of HD's pieces, also a response to a painting, this time a landscape by the 10th century artist Fan Ku'an (whose name isn't attached to the title as it is in Lucifer and many other Dufourt pieces, I wonder why this is), and it's more attractive as an expression of slowly shifting "spectral" sonorities. On the other hand, so much contemporary music for orchestra similarly consists of slow-moving "landscapes", as if this were the path of least resistance when you have a stage full of instruments, and I didn't find this one more memorable than most.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                              Moving on... Hugues Dufourt, Lucifer d'après Pollock for orchestra, with the Luxembourg Philharmonic and Pierre-André Valade. Well, this did nothing for me at all apart from fill half an hour with more or less anonymous "modern" orchestra stuff...
                              I'm feeling the same way about his Saturne, which I'm currently 34 minutes through. Lukewarm...

Comment

• Mandryka
                                • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                Moving on... Hugues Dufourt, Lucifer d'après Pollock for orchestra, with the Luxembourg Philharmonic and Pierre-André Valade. Well, this did nothing for me at all apart from fill half an hour with more or less anonymous "modern" orchestra stuff... if that's how Pollock's painting "sounds" to M Dufourt, he and I must be seeing something very different in it. The other piece on the CD, Voyage par-delà les fleuves et les monts, is, like many of HD's pieces, also a response to a painting, this time a landscape by the 10th century artist Fan Ku'an (whose name isn't attached to the title as it is in Lucifer and many other Dufourt pieces, I wonder why this is), and it's more attractive as an expression of slowly shifting "spectral" sonorities. On the other hand, so much contemporary music for orchestra similarly consists of slow-moving "landscapes", as if this were the path of least resistance when you have a stage full of instruments, and I didn't find this one more memorable than most.
                                It’s got it’s own wiki!

Comment

Working...
                                X