This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I am really urging people to listen to her on this week's COTW - a much more major modernist figure than I'd realised.

I have it on currently.

Comment

Carrying on with my theme today, celebrating the the artistry of Eugen Jochum.

Eugen Jochum - The Choral Recordings on Philips
      J S Bach

Mass in B minor, BWV232
      Lois Marshall (soprano)
      Hertha Töpper (soprano)
      Peter Pears (tenor)
      Kim Borg (bass)
      Chor & Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
      Eugen Jochum.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

'Anima Aeterna' – Jakub Józef Orliński
        Eighteenth-century sacred arias and motets from
        Zelenka, Fux, de Almeida, Nucci, Manna & Händel

Orchestra and Chorus of Il Pomo d’Oro / Francesco Corti
        Jakub Józef Orliński (countertenor),
        with Fatima Siad (soprano)
        Recorded 2020 Villa San Fermo, Lonigo, Vicenza, Italy
        Erato, new CD

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          Beethoven op 10/3 marvellously played by Murray Perahia - the original CBS LP release.
          Such a marvellous sonata. A pity they never did a BAL on it.
          (Marvellous pianist too, of course: I recently enjoyed his Chopin Ballades)

Comment

Beethoven. Violin concerto.

Thomas Gould, violin. Sinfonietta Riga.

A 50p charity shop find. My 100th recording of Beethoven’s immortal masterpiece!

Very fine musicianship from all concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              Beethoven. Violin concerto.

Thomas Gould, violin. Sinfonietta Riga.

A 50p charity shop find. My 100th recording of Beethoven’s immortal masterpiece!

Very fine musicianship from all concerned.
              100 versions of the Beethoven Violin Concerto! Incredible. Dare I ask or is there any point in asking your favourite ?
              I know you are a Heifetz fan ? Oistrakh ? Milstein ? Kogan ?

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                I struggled with that. I really liked 'I Open I Close'.

Must try Dark Matter again.
                Wonder how you got on with this? I'm currently listening to the latter half of Dark Matter...

There are some of RB's works that I struggle to grasp - e.g. world-line, though fortunately I think he mentioned something about a new recording of that - but Dark Matter isn't one. I think it helps that there is a voice involved which helps provide a focal point in many movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  Wonder how you got on with this? I'm currently listening to the latter half of Dark Matter...

There are some of RB's works that I struggle to grasp - e.g. world-line, though fortunately I think he mentioned something about a new recording of that - but Dark Matter isn't one. I think it helps that there is a voice involved which helps provide a focal point in many movements.
                  Been too busy so far, and now it's football (sorry!), but I have the disc and will listen and report.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                    100 versions of the Beethoven Violin Concerto! Incredible. Dare I ask or is there any point in asking your favourite ?
                    I know you are a Heifetz fan ? Oistrakh ? Milstein ? Kogan ?
                    Thanks for asking.

I love them all but there’s something about Ida Haendel’s live Czech Philharmonic recording with Ancerl that really hits the spot for me. Even the recordings that have poor critical reception such as Vengarov/Rostropovich or Mintz/Sinopoli reveal something about this amazing piece.

Of course, Menuhin is unique, ( and I was lucky enough to hear him playing it in 1978 at the end of his playing career ), and Mutter who was recording it with Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic the same day as I was sitting my Associated Board Grade 8 and…. Oh so many associations.

And Ricci’s recording with the 18? Different cadenzas that Mrs. PG bought me for my birthday 3 years ago and Pat Kop who gave me a terrific fingering for a passage that had always defeated me and Oistrakh that my mother bought me for my 14th birthday and Ferras with Karajan that she bought me for my 16th birthday and Mr. Heifetz who is God and Campoli whose CfP re-issue had me almost wear it out and Igor Oistrakh who I had copied to cd from an Lp 4 years ago and Kreisler who is just incredible and Erich Rohn with Furtwangler in Berlin at the end of WW2 where, iirc, one can hear bombing and Perlman with Barenboim live which would probably be a Desert Island disc and Perlman with Guilini that I bought with a record token my violin teacher gave me for passing Grade 8 and so on…

Comment

Each night I take out the new Harnoncourt Box, but then I notice this is still in the player and........I can't escape. Utterly devastating, a thing of terror and beauty, one of the most significant releases of the year.
                      It speaks to us so directly of our own times in its own ruthlessly truthful voice....shows us things about ourselves we may prefer not to confront.....

"And that day we read no further..."

Sofia Gubaidulina – Dialog: Ich und Du; The Wrath of God; The Light of the End

Vadim Repin, Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Andris Nelsons

Comment

Thanks for asking.

I love them all but there’s something about Ida Haendel’s live Czech Philharmonic recording with Ancerl that really hits the spot for me. Even the recordings that have poor critical reception such as Vengarov/Rostropovich or Mintz/Sinopoli reveal something about this amazing piece.

Of course, Menuhin is unique, ( and I was lucky enough to hear him playing it in 1978 at the end of his playing career ), and Mutter who was recording it with Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic the same day as I was sitting my Associated Board Grade 8 and…. Oh so many associations.

And Ricci’s recording with the 18? Different cadenzas that Mrs. PG bought me for my birthday 3 years ago and Pat Kop who gave me a terrific fingering for a passage that had always defeated me and Oistrakh that my mother bought me for my 14th birthday and Ferras with Karajan that she bought me for my 16th birthday and Mr. Heifetz who is God and Campoli whose CfP re-issue had me almost wear it out and Igor Oistrakh who I had copied to cd from an Lp 4 years ago and Kreisler who is just incredible and Erich Rohn with Furtwangler in Berlin at the end of WW2 where, iirc, one can hear bombing and Perlman with Barenboim live which would probably be a Desert Island disc and Perlman with Guilini that I bought with a record token my violin teacher gave me for passing Grade 8 and so on…

Comment

Thanks for asking.

Wonderful …. just wonderful ……

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Wonderful …. just wonderful ……
                            Seconded! Thank you PG!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Thanks for asking.

Lovely memories - almost a life in a hundred performances . I wonder how many other forumites have such key works running through their lives? Mine would be Die Meistersinger - which does make for a somewhat slower and more protracted counting of the days …

Comment

'Anima Æterna' – Jakub Józef Orliński
                                Eighteenth-century sacred arias and motets from
                                Jan Dismas Zelenka, Johann Joseph Fux,
                                Francisco António de Almeida, Bartolomeo Nucci,
                                Gennaro Manna, Georg Friedrich Handel
                                Orchestra and Chorus of Il Pomo d’Oro / Francesco Corti
                                Jakub Józef Orliński (countertenor),
                                with Fatima Siad (soprano)
                                Recorded 2020 Villa San Fermo, Lonigo, Vicenza
                                Erato
                                A stunning new album!

Comment

Working...
                                X