X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite the splendid and painstaking presentation displayed in Georg Tintner's Naxos recording of the 1873 version, running to over 77 minutes, my favourite Bruckner 3 remains SXL 6505, VPO/ Bohm, with an essay by Novak himself and a lovely landscape by Kandinsky on the cover.

In the 8th, however, I've always preferred Haas to Novak.

My early listening today was the 1954 DG Zauberflote conducted by Ferenc Fricsay, which substantially increased my respect for this conductor. I can understand why he is a cult figure for many. The clarity which infuses this performance is refreshing in such a problematic work.
    Last edited by smittims; 15-12-23, 12:49.

Comment

One of my most rewarding new-release purchases of the year has been Compositrices: New Light on French Romantic Women Composers from Bru Zane.

Disc 7 has one of my favourite tenors of the moment, Cyrille Dubois, singing mélodies by various composers, accompanied by Tristan Raës on the piano. A striking example for me is 'Les Étoiles mortelles' by Madeleine Jaeger which starts off gently and builds to a thrilling high-note climax.

Comment

Ernst von Dohnányi ‘Being Earnest’
        Piano Quintet No. 2, Op. 26
        Sextet for piano, violin, viola, cello, clarinet and horn, Op. 37
        Ensemble Raro
        Recorded 2016 Studio 2, BR-Rundfunk, Munich
        Solo Musica

Glazunov
        Symphony No. 1 in E major, Op. 5 ‘Slavyanskaya’ (1881)
        Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra of Moscow Radio/ Vladimir Fedoseyev
        Recorded Live, 1981 Grand Hall, Moscow Conservatory
        Brilliant Classics (originally Melodiya)

Comment

The recent BAL on Dvorak NWS made me realize that my recording by Ancerl and the Czech PO has gone missing so I reordered it. My memory was confirmed in that Ancerl takes a somewhat darker view of the work than we normally hear. I had streamed the Vienna Symphony version that Decca just released and the two differ significantly.
          I picked up a few lps recently. One is Malcolm Sargent in the LSOn Prokofiev Fifth Symphony onEverest. The lp is in good shape and the performance is very strong, with swift tempos. The second is a 5 disc set put out by the Philadelphia Orchestra in 1977. There are actually 5 different 5 lp sets, I just purchased one of the sets, which features Ormandy and the Orchestra accompanying so,it’s. The lps have a dark red wine color. I’ve only listened to a Beethoven PC3 from 1950 with Arrau. The sound quality is excellent; I’m used to digital remastering but this was probably released originally on lp and apparently reissued on this special vinyl

Comment

Peter Maxwell Davies: Worldes Blis (motet for orchestra)
            RPO/PMD

Mentioned in Classical Associations

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Peter Maxwell Davies: Worldes Blis (motet for orchestra)
              RPO/PMD

Mentioned in Classical Associations
              'Classical Associations'? What be that?

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post

'Classical Associations'? What be that?

Comment

I'm listening to the 1955 Glyndebourne Figaro which has a wonderful cast: Jurinac, Sciutti, Sinclair, Stevens, and even our old friend Ian Wallace as Bartolo. It must have been one of the first stereo recordings of a complete opera, and sounds splendid .

Comment

The splendid 4 CD set of Andrew Parrott's compendium of Christmas carols throughout the ages - so much unfamiliar material, very welcome fare from the usual offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      Disc 7 has one of my favourite tenors of the moment, Cyrille Dubois, singing mélodies by various composers, accompanied by Tristan Raës on the piano. A striking example for me is 'Les Étoiles mortelles' by Madeleine Jaeger which starts off gently and builds to a thrilling high-note climax.
                      Have you heard Dubois' recent recording of Winterreise, accompanied by Anne Le Bozek on a 1905 Bechstein? I'd only heard, and admired, him in French repertoire, but I think this new Winterreise is really excellent.

Comment

Idomeneo, the wonderful 1956 EMI recording with Richard Lewis , Leopold Simoneau, and Sena Jurinac, conducted by John Pritchard. superb early stereo.

Comment

Chicago Symphony on Saturday night. Semyon Bychkov conducted. Dvorak Carnival Overture, Brahms Fourth Symphony, and Saint-Saens VC3 (Benjamin Beilman replaced indisposed Renault Capucon. An unfamiliar name for me, despite the fact that he grew up 5 miles from where we live). A very enjoyable concert. Another highlight was the pre concert lecture given by principal violist Max Raimi, who is a fantastic speaker.
                          The Saint-Saens used to be a frequent repertoire piece that seems to be less prevalent now. Personally I would like to see a concert of his shorter works, such as the Introduction and Rondo and Havanaise

Comment

J.S. Bach
                            6 Sonatas for harpsichord & violin in B minor, BWV 1014-19
                            Giuliano Carmagnola (baroque violin) & Andrea Marcon (harpsichord)
                            Recorded 2000 Sala del Conclave, Isola di San Giorgio, Venice
                            Sony Classical, CD

Véronique Gens – 'Visions'
                            ​​
                            Romantic Opera arias from Saint-Saëns, Niedermeyer, Halévy, Godard & Février. Opéra-Comique arias from Félicien
                            David, Oratorio arias by Franck & Massenet. Cantata arias from Bizet & Bruneau
                            Véronique Gens (soprano)
                            Münchner Rundfunkorchester / Hervé Niquet
                            Recorded 2017, Studio 1, Bayerischer Rundfunk, Munich
                            Alpha Classics, CD

Comment

More 'early stereo' for me, played by the Philharmonia Orchestra.

Les Sylphides, conducted by Robert Irving (HMV CSD 1271). Roy Douglas' orchestration makes me think of Elgar, showing that Chopin and Elgar are closer than many may think; and the Nutcracker suite and Waltz, conducted, perhaps surprisingly , by Wolfgang Sawallisch (Columbia SAX 2285). In the '70s it had a successful reissue on Classics for Pleasure.

Both these over-sixty-years-old Lps sound quite brilliant after a good clean. They have the pale green (and gold) early stereo labels EMI used, to warn cusomers that they weren't mono, while the sleeves have those gold 'stereophonic' medallions stuck on , which older collectors will recall,were impossible to peel off without making an awful mess.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                                The Saint-Saens used to be a frequent repertoire piece that seems to be less prevalent now. Personally I would like to see a concert of his shorter works, such as the Introduction and Rondo and Havanaise
                                Kyung-Wha Chung’s recording of the Saint-Saens violin concerto No.1 is a great favourite of mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X