This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graindelavoix - Ossuaires
    Provided to YouTube by NAXOS of AmericaOffice for Saint Elizabeth of Hungary [Cambrai Ms 38] : Antifona I (Vesperae I) : Gaudeat Hungaria · GraindelavoixOssu...

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
      Trawling through my vinyl to search out some favourites to test my new stylus (Goldring E4 replacing E3), and came across the Maazel/Cleveland on Telarc. Extraordinary tempi, outrageous bass amplitude...very exciting, though not one to live with.
      One of the fiddles make a domino in the final sacrificial dance!

Comment

Sibelius. Violin Concerto. Prokofiev. Violin Concerto No.2 & Glazunov. Violin Concerto.

Mr. Jascha Heifetz, violin.

Absolutely incredible playing which no one has ever really surpassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

No, not at all, I have no knowledge about the original source of the tapes used for the mastering of the CDs...I'm just going on the fact that the original LP set was just the repackaged single discs - it was obviously not pressed as a set, and the original single LPs were available separately when they issued the box set and they bear the same serial numbers and not disc numbers, 1-6 as you would expect if it was designed as a set. The typography is appalling: the use of too many titles of tracks and main titles with the same pseudo-art nouveau typeface and of the same font point.

Still great set, with poor pressing quality - perhaps a reason why the CDs weren't mastered from a tape derived from the LPs....it would be obvious.
          If you do happen to be extremely curious I’d be happy to send you a rip of the CD for your diagnosing pleasure!

Stupendous playing though, goodness me.

(I suppose if they really were single discs that might make it less surprising for only one of the tapes to have gone AWOL?)

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
            If you do happen to be extremely curious I’d be happy to send you a rip of the CD for your diagnosing pleasure!

Stupendous playing though, goodness me.

(I suppose if they really were single discs that might make it less surprising for only one of the tapes to have gone AWOL?)
            Thank you Oliver, I'd be interested to hear it. Don't know how you go about it, French Frank has my personal email, and would be happy to share it with you. It's a shame that these valuable tapes are not taken better care of by their custodians.

BTW. When I first got the box it had two copies of the 3rd Lp plus all the rest...shows how sloppy they were in the warehouse!

Actually, when I ran my CD shop it was surprising how often a CD case, all wrapped up, came with no disc.....and several times with two discs in....a true twofer!

Comment

I'll pop up a wetransfer and send you a PM. It will have to wait a little bit though since at the moment the computer is busy playing me the Budapest Festival Orchestra's rendition of Mahler 6!

(And I'm busy getting my tax documents ready for an audit, oh dear.)

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                I'll pop up a wetransfer and send you a PM. It will have to wait a little bit though since at the moment the computer is busy playing me the Budapest Festival Orchestra's rendition of Mahler 6!

(And I'm busy getting my tax documents ready for an audit, oh dear.)
                Oh! Thanks Oliver. But don't let it get in the way of the tax return - the government needs as much as it can bleed out of us at the moment!

Comment

Verdi – Don Carlo
                  Opera in 5 acts, sung in Italian (Modena 1886 version)
                  Filippo II - Boris Christoff; Don Carlo - Flaviano Labò; Rodrigo - Ettore Bastianini;
                  Elisabetta di Valois - Antonietta Stella; La principessa Eboli - Fiorenza Cossotto;
                  Il Grande Inquisitore - Ivo Vinco; Un Frate - Alessandro Maddalena;
                  Tebaldo - Aurora Cattelani; Il Conte di Lerma - Franco Piva; Un Araldo Reale - Piero De Palma;
                  Una voce dal cielo - Giuliana Matteini
                  Coro e Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala / Gabriele Santini
                  Studio recording 1961, Teatro alla Scala, Milan
                  Deutsche Grammophon, 3 CD set

Comment

La Fonte Musica - Metamorfosi Trecento. Sparkling performances by this top-notch early music ensemble.
                    Provided to YouTube by IDOLSì dolce non sonò chol lir' Orfeo · La fonte musica · Michele PasottiMetamorfosi Trecento℗ Michele PasottiReleased on: 2017-01-27C...

Comment

Live stream from www.swr.de ​Kirill Gerstein, piano
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Mahler 5, Barbirolli.

No, not the EMI recording but a concert with the Houston Symphony from Carnegie Hall, 24 March 1966. First heard this on youtube but found it on a blog a little while ago in rather better sound, although hi-fi it ain't.

MAHLER Symphony no. 5 Houston Symphony SIR JOHN BARBIROLLI Live in New York, Carnegie Hall March 24, 1966 Lik...

Like his live Mahler 6s it lops a fair bit off the overall duration of his studio version, coming in at just on 66 minutes. Absolutely gripping for my money. Not that I had to spend any money but I cheerfully would have.

Comment

Ah, but does it include the missing horn phrase in the scherzo?

Solomon for me today , not my favourite Beecham, but a very impressive recording by the Gabrieli Consort and players directed by Paul McCreesh. It almosts sounds like a different work.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            Ah, but does it include the missing horn phrase in the scherzo?

Solomon for me today , not my favourite Beecham, but a very impressive recording by the Gabrieli Consort and players directed by Paul McCreesh. It almosts sounds like a different work.
                            I’ve never even checked that horn phrase, silly eh? I think the only CDs of the piece I’ve had were from after the patch-in.

Something that’s never been fixed in the EMI recording though, because it presumably can’t be: there’s a moment near the end of the Scherzo (just before figure 25 if you’re curious) where at least one of the flutes plays a downward semiquaver scale a bar early. Fits very nicely though.

My go-to Solomon is the Gardiner—the judgement scene is heartbreaking (and conveniently placed at the beginning of disc 2 if I remember right). I suppose his approach is probably about halfway between the two you mentioned!

Comment

Someone should write a book about things that are on the disc but not in the score. One of my favourites was at the very end of the LPO HMV Music for Strings (Bliss) where in the final reverberation Sir Adrian can just be heard saying ' well, I think...'. Sadly, it was edited out of the CD transfer.

Nothing went wrong for Geoffrey Toye in his pioneer recording of Summer Night on the River, which I've just heard. It's not well-known that he recorded five Delius orchestral works at around the asame time as Sir Thomas Beecham's earliest Columbia recordings. I had Brigg Fair and In a Summer Garden on 78s (the latter cracked, sadly). Mike Duttion did a splendid CD transfer of them , which I think is on Spotify.

Comment

Hearing Barenboim's BSO perfectly performed recording of the Tannhauser overture prompted me to listen to Solti VPO to remind myself how extraordinary the Solti/VPO/ Decca sound could be especially the sheer magnificence of the VPO brass section.

Comment

Working...
                                X