• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    OCL?

That's it, in a nutshell.

Comment

Arthur Honegger - Symphony #2
      Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Herbert von Karajan.

(this is one of those recordings where HvK annually took himself off with the crème de la crème (favoured members?) of the BPO to St Moritz for an informal 'reward' where they would play repertoire that they (HvK?) wanted to play, rather than what their record company wanted)

Limited Edition, SHM-CD, Import. Deutsche Grammophon. I also have the 20th Century Classics DG release of this recording, but I haven’t played it in ages so I can’t give the comparison.

I must say this CD sounds fantastic. I ripped it to my Astell & Kern AK70 and I’m listening through AKG K702 headphones, which are hard to drive, but the A&K isn’t doing a bad job.

I have the Michel Plasson and Charles Dutoit complete symphony sets, but this recording is in a different league. I guess 1969, when this was recorded, the BPO and HvK were still at the top of their game.

I know the Mariss Jansons recording has its fans, but I don’t think I’ve heard it.

EDIT: I went on to listen ti #3. Fabulous!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

(this is one of those recordings where HvK annually took himself off with the crème de la crème (favoured members?) of the BPO to St Moritz for an informal 'reward' where they would play repertoire that they (HvK?) wanted to play, rather than what their record company wanted)

Limited Edition, SHM-CD, Import. Deutsche Grammophon. I also have the 20th Century Classics DG release of this recording, but I haven’t played it in ages so I can’t give the comparison.

I must say this CD sounds fantastic. I ripped it to my Astell & Kern AK70 and I’m listening through AKG K702 headphones, which are hard to drive, but the A&K isn’t doing a bad job.

I have the Michel Plasson and Charles Dutoit complete symphony sets, but this recording is in a different league. I guess 1969, when this was recorded, the BPO and HvK were still at the top of their game.

I know the Mariss Jansons recording has its fans, but I don’t think I’ve heard it.

One of the best things HvK ever did. Even I (not exactly a Karafan) take my hat off to him re. his and the BP's illumination of these two symphonies.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          ... But this....is on another level, rarely glimpsed or visited; it seems to have come from somewhere else...
          Beethoven Symphony No.1. NBCSO/Toscanini. Live recording 11/1939, Music & Arts CD 2013.
          Is that definitely November 1939, and not the Rockerfeller Centre broadcast of 28 October 1939 which used to be available on Naxos, replete with announcements?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Stunning album, yes... but wouldn't be top of my list now.
            In No.2 I'd go for the sharper cross-rhythms and clearer solo trumpet of either Munch (BMG, Boston SO 1952 or EMI, O.de Paris 1969) or Baudo (Supraphon, Czech PO 1960). I do find the HvK too string-drenched in that final presto, and those very tricky finale rhythms aren't quite clear.
            The 1952 Munch finale truly widens your ears - the trumpet almost too pronounced but thrillingly, war-defyingly exultant! The Paris/Munch isn't quite so intense but the trumpet/strings balance sounds perfect to my ears.
            (Plasson I never heard, but IIRC he omits the trumpet solo from No.2; it is optional, yes, but still...)

HvK had the field to himself for years in No.3... I recall admiring Jansons (finest since Karajan, according to RL back in the day) but finding Dutoit somewhat safe-MOR, but the only recording to really have something new to say about the Honegger Symphonies, (with some controversially slow tempi at times, but compelling you (or me, at least) to listen anew) was the Suisse Romande/Luisi (Cascavelle, 2000). The 3rd goes beyond even Karajan in its subtlety of mood, pace and colour, the hauntingly poetic quality of the slow movement & finale codas, and the truly scarifying impact of that shattering final climax. Your ears will be praying ​Dona Nobis Pacem, after that...

Yet even that cycle appeared 17 years ago... we could do with some younger conductor taking up the works afresh.... Nézet-Séguin could be just the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Is that definitely November 1939, and not the Rockerfeller Centre broadcast of 28 October 1939 which used to be available on Naxos, replete with announcements?
              ...it is the same 28/10/39 one - thanks, Bryn, wine-affected typo duly corrected....
              ....the Naxos issues were restored by Richard Caniell of Immortal Performances, who is also behind the newest version from that very selfnamed label reviewed in G, 4/2017 (RC). My initial comment a few weeks back that IP have bought extra clarity, insight and intimacy at the expense of a little extra noise has held generally true, though hand-on-heart I did find the noise, and a degree of more audible pitch instability, a little intrusive sometimes, compared to the remarkable warmth, fullness & often surprisingly quiet backgrounds of the (self-evidently more interventionist) Music & Arts 2013 transfer.
              But the IPRMS box, running to 10 CDs, is a great, handsomely-produced set, preserving all the concerts in their original format with announcements, with several extras including "True Stereo" Leonore 3 and Egmont overtures. How these were arrived at is fascinating but too long a story to tell right now...

(I adore both restorations, preferring sometimes one then the other (the acetate for the 6th Symphony seems to be the only truly problematic one - this was one example of where I had a clear preference for the M&A version), but you can only get the new set as a direct online order from the remote settlement in BC Canada where IP are stationed, ....and you'll pay customs charges...
              so I'd say grab the M&A one first - with its excellent, lengthy & insightful essay from Christopher Dyment - then if you get really obsessed.... too much to say too little time!)
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-05-17, 04:32.

Comment

Mozart
                Symphony No. 40
                Haydn
                Symphony No. 76
                Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin/Günter Wand
                Recorded live 1988 (Mozart) 1995 (Haydn) Philharmonie, Berlin
                from set Edition Günter Wand - Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

Mozart - Pavol Breslik - Arias from Idomeneo, Don Giovanni, Così fan tutte, Die Entführung aus dem Serail, Die Zauberflöte, Concert Aria: Misero! O sogno - Aura che intorni spiri
                Pavol Breslik (tenor)
                Münchner Rundfunkorchester/Patrick Lange
                guest on one aria José van Dam (bass-baritone)
                Recorded 2015 Studio 1, BR Klassik, Munich
                Orfeo

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Hiya Stan. The Koechlin interests me somewhat. I only know his Jungle Book. So, be interested to hear about the comparisons.

I thought I would have a session of hearing some Russian orchestral showstoppers today.

Rimsky-Korsakov
                  Stephen Bryant(violin), London PO, Takuo Yuasa.
                  Borodin
                  Polovstian Dances from "Prince Igor"
                  Beecham Choral Society, Royal PO, Beecham
                  Khatchaturian
                  Spartacus, Adagio of Spartacus & Phrygia
                  Gayaneh: Sabre Dance.
                  LSO composer.

Tchaikovsky
                  Symphopnies: No.4 in F minor, Op.36; Francesca da Rimini, Op.32;
                  No.5 in E minor, Op.64; Borodin: Prince Igor;
                  Tchaikovsky: Slavonic March,Op.31 Eugene Onegen Valse & Polonaise;
                  Symphony No.6 in B minor, op.74; Romeo and Juliet, Fantasy Overture.
                  LSO, Antal Dorati.
                  I wasn't able to hear all of this yesterday. I managed to hear most of Tchaik's No.4. had to go out unfortunately!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Meyerbeer – Grand Opera – Diana Damrau
                    Arias from: Le prophète, Robert le diable, Alimelek, oder die beiden Kalifen, L'étoile du nord, L'Africaine, Il crociato in Egitto, Le pardon de Ploërmel (Dinorah), Ein Feldlager in Schlesien, Emma di Resburgo, Les Huguenots
                    Diana Damrau (soprano)
                    Orchestre et Choeur de l’Opéra National de Lyon/Emmanuel Villaume
                    Recorded 2015 Opéra National de Lyon
                    Erato

As a Meyerbeer admirer I never thought I’d see the day when a singer as excellent as Diana Damrau would bring out a collection entirely devoted to his opera arias. Damrau is in sparkling form here. I’m loving it!

Walton
                    Cello Concerto
                    Gregor Piatigorsky (cello)
                    Boston Symphony Orchestra/Charles Münch
                    Recorded 1957 Boston
                    RCA Living Stereo

Comment

IIR, I think Rob Cowan rather liked Dorati's Tchaik 4 with the Detroit orchestra?
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

The new disc from SOMM entitled Elgar Rediscovered.

Fascinating documents that shine new light on the genius of our greatest composer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          IIR, I think Rob Cowan rather liked Dorati's Tchaik 4 with the Detroit orchestra?
                          LSO

Comment

Thanks,, Cloughie, Yes, LSO!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Jórunn Viðar - Slátta, A Piano Concerto - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8svCap5PU

Comment

Handel
                                Chandos anthems. Various soloists, The Sixteen Choir & Orchestra, Harry Christophers.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X