X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brahms 4, with Carlos Kleiber. If Brahms's music always sounded like this I would have to get more interested in it. Kleiber is massively hyped of course, but the thing is he was that good. ("Discuss.")

Comment

Sorabji: Sequentia cyclica super Dies iræ (Theme and Variations i to xiii, preceded by introduction by Jonathan Powell), a performance of just that taster given at Schott Music (Bauer & Hieber) 18 December 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Brahms 4, with Carlos Kleiber. If Brahms's music always sounded like this I would have to get more interested in it. Kleiber is massively hyped of course, but the thing is he was that good. ("Discuss.")
        Brahms’ symphonies didn’t click for me until last year. Excellent performances make such a difference with Brahms, IMV.

I have this CD, with the VPO. Is this the same one you refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          I have this CD, with the VPO. Is this the same one you refer to?
          Yes indeed. From the first seconds you're aware that something special is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Sorabji: Sequentia cyclica super Dies iræ (Theme and Variations i to xiii, preceded by introduction by Jonathan Powell), a performance of just that taster given at Schott Music (Bauer & Hieber) 18 December 2008.
            ...which I wish that I could have attended, but at least I was able to get to the première of the entire work in 2010 in Glasgow. I do hope that release of his more recent recording of it on Toccata Classics will be SOON!
            Last edited by ahinton; 08-05-17, 17:47.

Comment

Yes indeed. From the first seconds you're aware that something special is going on.
              Appetite whetted! On this afternoon’s playlist.

Recently, in terms of Brahms symphonies, I’ve listened to the Barbirolli VPO and Thielemann Staatskapelle Dresden, both of which give me enormous pleasure. The Barbirolli recordings are from 1966-1967 and are quite pacey with beautifully clear and detailed sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                ...which I wish that i could have attended, but at least I was able to get to the première of the entire work in 2010 in Glasgow. I do hope that release of his more recent recording of it will be SOON!
                You are welcome to a copy of this audio DVD-R (48/24). I feel sure Jonathan would not mind. Given the date, I most probably used a pair of vertically coincident AT4033a mics fed through a Mackie mixer to the Alesis Masterlink 9600. I think it captures that Schott Music acoustic and piano sound fairly well (along with Jonathan's occasional vocal extemporisations). I'll capture, and upload to WeTransfer.com, Jonathan's introduction later, and post a link here (valid for 7 days) for those interested.

Comment

Appetite whetted! On this afternoon’s playlist.

Recently, in terms of Brahms symphonies, I’ve listened to the Barbirolli VPO and Thielemann Staatskapelle Dresden, both of which give me enormous pleasure. The Barbirolli recordings are from 1966-1967 and are quite pacey with beautifully clear and detailed sound.
                  Well worth getting the 96/24 Blu-ray remastering if you have not already done so.

Comment

That looks great Bryn. But where do we stop!?

I have the LvB & Brahms on CD, so I think I must leave it at that.

Comment

That looks great Bryn. But where do we stop!?

I have the LvB & Brahms on CD, so I think I must leave it at that.
                      Well I had the Beethoven (including the DVD Audio issue) and the Brahms, but not the Schubert, so used that as an excuse to get the remastered set. It can be had for as little as £12.99 plus p&p (minus the Beethoven CD) via the amazon.co.uk marketplace at the moment.

Comment

Well I had the Beethoven (including the DVD Audio issue) and the Brahms, but not the Schubert, so used that as an excuse to get the remastered set. It can be had for as little as £12.99 plus p&p (minus the Beethoven CD) via the amazon.co.uk marketplace at the moment.
                        I don’t have the Schubert. That price is very good. I expected it to be much more expensive.

Comment

Shostakovich
                          Symphony No.9 in Eb,Op.70
                          Symphony no.5 in D minor, Op.47
                          Suite from "Hamlet",Op.72a
                          Symphony No.8 in C minor, Op.65.
                          Boston Symphony, Andris Nelsons.

thank you Ferney and Spotify Premium!!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Now:

Kevin Volans: Kneeling Dance
                            David Lang: Face so pale
                            Steve Reich: Four Organs
                            Robert Moran: Three Dances

Piano Circus

Decca Argo 440 294-2ZH

Quite amazing...

Comment

You are welcome to a copy of this audio DVD-R (48/24). I feel sure Jonathan would not mind. Given the date, I most probably used a pair of vertically coincident AT4033a mics fed through a Mackie mixer to the Alesis Masterlink 9600. I think it captures that Schott Music acoustic and piano sound fairly well (along with Jonathan's occasional vocal extemporisations). I'll capture, and upload to WeTransfer.com, Jonathan's introduction later, and post a link here (valid for 7 days) for those interested.
                              Here's a link to an mp3 of Jonathan Powell's introduction to the performance referred to above. I will remain active for 7 days.

Comment

I guess our tastes don't often coincide, but did you try this one...? (24/96 Phi/Qobuz HiFi)...

From the New Releases thread...
                                "Exceptional recorded sound, open and spacious; incisive and transparent orchestral style with terrific momentum; andante very pure vibrato-less cantabile yet with sharply rhythmic attack; drama and power saved only for the true climaxes. Revelatory!"
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 08-05-17, 17:26.

Comment

Working...
                                X