This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    I know nothing about this! What have I missed?

Gustav Mahler
    Symphony No.1 in D major, “Titan”
    (Hamburg-Weimar 1893-94 version)
    Les Siècles
    François-Xavier Roth

Bruckner
    Symphony No.4 in Eb major, “Romantic”(1886 version)
    Berliner Philharmoniker
    Sir Simon Rattle.
    Re: Mahler
    I’ve never seen it referred to as “Hamburg-Weimar....version”
    What exactly does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      Re: Mahler
      I’ve never seen it referred to as “Hamburg-Weimar....version”
      What exactly does that mean?
      It's one of the earlier versions of the work, when it was still a five-movement Symphonic Poem (different orchestrations throughout, too) - definitely a recording I want to get.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Beethoven
        Complete piano trios
        Stuttgart Trio
        (Naxos)

Absolutely untarnished enjoyment throughout. Such great playing, sounding as fresh, and yet confident as ever. I don't recall if this version was mentioned on the recent BaL; I think I would have noticed.

Certainly more than cuts the mustard, for me.
        Last edited by visualnickmos; 15-05-19, 12:24. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          It's one of the earlier versions of the work, when it was still a five-movement Symphonic Poem (different orchestrations throughout, too) - definitely a recording I want to get.
          If I'm not mistaken, at that point it didn't have the title "Symphony no.1 in D Major".

I've been listening again to the 10th in the López-Cobos recording of Mazzetti's 1997 version. Of course no version of this piece should ever be considered definitive, but if like me you regard Deryck Cooke's version as unsatisfactory to listen to on account of its threadbareness (for good reasons of course), and most of the others (especially Barshai, though that does have some interestingly eyebrow-raising moments) overdone, I think this should be the one to keep coming back to. I'm surprised it hasn't been taken up by more conductors rather than Cooke, which was is a musicological exercise first and foremost.

Comment

Schubert Piano Trio no. 1

Online purchase or streaming (Spotify, iTunes, Amazon Music, Deezer, Google Play and more): https://brilliant-classics.lnk.to/SchubertPianoTriosSocial Media:...

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
              Beethoven
              Complete piano trios
              Stuttgart Trio
              (Naxos)

Absolutely untarnished enjoyment throughout. Such great playing, sounding as fresh, and yet confident as ever. I don't recall if this version was mentioned on the recent BaL; I think I would have noticed.

Certainly more than cuts the mustard, for me.
              Yes, the are some real gems amongst the massive Naxos output which I believe is often overlooked by BAL reviewers. Some people I know look down their noses at Naxos discs often quoting Jenő Jandó's over productivity. The stand out recording for me that springs to mind is the Schumann and Brahms Piano Quintets on 8.550406.
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 15-05-19, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                If I'm not mistaken, at that point it didn't have the title "Symphony no.1 in D Major".
                Heh, heh. Don't get me started. I had a recent friendly critical exchange with Robert von Bahr on this very issue. Though Harmonia Mundi rightly names the work on the front cover of this new recording, eClassical had it down as Symphony No. 1 'Titan'. At first, RvB though I was having an aggressive go at his company, but I soon clarified that and described how Mahler has dropped the "Titan" when he further reorchestrated four of the symphonic poem and dropped "Blumine" (though quoting from it in the final movement) to create his Symphony No.1 (with no soubriquet), and that as Roth has previously recorded the 4-movent 1st Symphony, describing the Symphonic Poem as the 1st Symphony could surely lead to confusion. He conceded the point.

Of the Budapest version, only three movements remain extant, the scores of Blumine and the Funeral March are missing from what has been found of that version. A performance of that Budapest version, with the missing movement, interpolated from the Hamburg score and played by the students of the NEC Philharmonia, conducted by Hugo Wolff, can be found on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  The stand out recording for me that springs to mind is the Schumann and Brahms Piano Quintets on 8.550406.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Bartok. Sonata for 2 Pianos & Percussion.

Martha Argerich and Stephen Bishop Kovacevich, pianos.

Willy Goudswaard and Michael De Roo, percussion.

PHILIPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Yes, the are some real gems amongst the massive Naxos output which I believe is often overlooked by BAL reviewers. The stand out recording for me that springs to mind is the Schumann and Brahms Piano Quintets on 8.550406.
                      ... ah, with the Kodaly and Jenő Jandó

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        ... ah, with the Kodaly and Jenő Jandó

Best Naxos discs would make a good thread.

Have to say I think they undersell themselves sometime in their covers, but I suppose it is( generally) their look.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Best Naxos discs would make a good thread.

Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Go for it!
                            Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              I remember that, around the time he recorded the Rachmaninoff Second with the LAPO, Rattle mentioned in interview that he wasn't a great admirer of Tchaikovsky's Music, and that he much preferred Rachmaninoff. (IIRC, and this is by no means a "given" - I think he suggested that he thought Rachmaninoff made Tchaikovsky "redundant" for him, in that everything Tchaikovsky achieved was done better by Rachmaninoff.) I don't know how accurately this represents Rattle's views on Tchaikovsky these days.
                              Ah, very interesting! Especially as, for me, as regards Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, it's rather the other way around (orchestrally anyway)!

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                                Ah, very interesting! Especially as, for me, as regards Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, it's rather the other way around (orchestrally anyway)!
                                Why choose, I wonder? Just enjoy both!

Comment

Working...
                                X