X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Dunstaple - Salve Scema Sanctitatis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6giWShdxi4

Comment

Jennifer Larmore - ‘Where Shall I Fly’ - Handel and Mozart Arias
      Arias from Handel: Serse (Xerxes), Hercules, Ariodante, Semele & Rinaldo - Mozart: Mitridate, La finta giardiniera, Le nozze di Figaro, La clemenza di Tito & Così fan tutte
      Jennifer Larmore (mezzo-soprano)
      Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne/Jesus Lopez-Cobos
      Recorded 1994 Auditorium Stravinski, Montreux
      Teldec

Wu Han Live II - Highlights from Music@Menlo, Chamber Music Festival
      Dohnányi

Piano Quintet No. 1, Op. 1
      Wu Han (piano), Alexander Sitkovetsky (violin), Nicolas Dautricourt (violin), Paul Neubauer (viola), David Finckel (cello)
      Taneyev
      Piano Quintet, Op. 30
      Wu Han (piano), Arnaud Sussmann (violin), Sean Lee (violin), Paul Neuberger (viola), David Finckel (cello)
      Recorded Live 2014 & 2016 Music@Menlo Chamber Music Festival, Menlo-Atherton, California
      Music@Menlo Live

Comment

Following on from the revelatory first instalment in this series:

Masaaki Suzuki plays Bach: Volume 2
        Prelude and Fugue in G major, BWV541
        Chorale prelude ‘Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier’, BWV730
        Concerto in D minor, BWV596, after Antonio Vivaldi (RV565)
        Chorale partita on ‘Sei gegrüßet, Jesu gütig’ or ‘O Jesu, du edle Gabe’, BWV768
        Concerto in C major, BWV594, after Antonio Vivaldi (RV208)
        Chorale prelude ‘Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier’, BWV731
        Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV547
        Masaaki Suzuki (organ)
        Rec. January 2016, Shoin Women’s University Chapel, Kobe, Japan
        BIS BIS-2241

Even if this isn't your normal fare - it's not mine - I urge you to hear this. Organ recordings don't come much better than this (thanks to Take5's Hans Kipfer).

Core repertoire from eClassical - Beefy, please note - http://www.eclassical.com/performers...rks-vol-2.html

Comment

Oh this is my normal fare! I really am a fan of Maasaki Su\uki as well. I will have to play some of his music this weekend!

Richard Wagner - Leopold Stokowski Transcriptions.
          BBC PO, Mathias bamert.

I have said that Stokowski's arrangements can be rather overblown in some circumstances, but then in this recording, this is certainly not the case.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
            Following on from the revelatory first instalment in this series:

Masaaki Suzuki plays Bach: Volume 2
            Prelude and Fugue in G major, BWV541
            Chorale prelude ‘Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier’, BWV730
            Concerto in D minor, BWV596, after Antonio Vivaldi (RV565)
            Chorale partita on ‘Sei gegrüßet, Jesu gütig’ or ‘O Jesu, du edle Gabe’, BWV768
            Concerto in C major, BWV594, after Antonio Vivaldi (RV208)
            Chorale prelude ‘Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier’, BWV731
            Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV547
            Masaaki Suzuki (organ)
            Rec. January 2016, Shoin Women’s University Chapel, Kobe, Japan
            BIS BIS-2241

Even if this isn't your normal fare - it's not mine - I urge you to hear this. Organ recordings don't come much better than this (thanks to Take5's Hans Kipfer).

Core repertoire from eClassical - Beefy, please note - http://www.eclassical.com/performers...rks-vol-2.html
            Thanks Mahlerei. I don’t know why I said 'core repertoire' - what I meant was 'things I’m looking for that I’d expect them to have'!!

Earlier this afternoon, I searched for 'Skrowaczewski' in both Qobuz and eClassical. The results were 78 and 25 respectively.

By the way, I’m still not there with the Morlot Ives and American in Paris. I can’t put my finger on it (yet), but it doesn’t grab me. I much prefer MTT & Previn, respectively.

I will continue to listen to it and maybe it will click down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Thanks Mahlerei. I don’t know why I said 'core repertoire' - what I meant was 'things I’m looking for that I’d expect them to have'!!

Earlier this afternoon, I searched for 'Skrowaczewski' in both Qobuz and eClassical. The results were 78 and 25 respectively.

By the way, I’m still not there with the Morlot Ives and American in Paris. I can’t put my finger on it (yet), but it doesn’t grab me. I much prefer MTT & Previn, respectively.

I will continue to listen to it and maybe it will click down the line.
              Beefy

Sorry about the Ives Maybe you'll have better luck with the Bach.

As for eClassical, it just isn't as comprehensive as Qobuz. Nevertheless, I usually find something there each week that I want to review.

Comment

Dvorak 8 NYPhil Symphony Orchestra / Walter 1948 .

Comment

Beefy

As for eClassical, it just isn't as comprehensive as Qobuz. Nevertheless, I usually find something there each week that I want to review.
                  No need for sorry - when we listen to music, getting to grips with things that are not expected, being challenged, trying to get what others hear, wrestling with performances, is all part of the enjoyment!

Comment

Johann Sebastian Bach my alpha & Omega.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Britten's Serenade for Tenor Horn and Strings....the Britten/Pears/Brain/BBCSO version. Hard to beat.

Comment

Beefy

eClassical - Qobuz.... not comparing like with like.....

eClassical - i.e. BIS online, put a great deal of time and resources into their own recordings of new and unfamiliar music, and the encouragement and recording of young artists. The BIS label also has to budget for the production of physical discs, SACD/CD.

Qobuz are purely a Music Service, the most ambitious and comprehensive one extant, especially for classical repertoire.. Their business is entirely about deals with record labels, marketing, selling and streaming - and the sound quality offered. And as a devoted user of Qobuz HIFi AND a regular purchaser of downloads, I can confirm how excellent it is.
                        But it isn't really fair to mark eClassical down for offering fewer recordings or labels. Their aims & their business model are quite different. In many ways braver and bolder even, than Qobuz itself.

Comment

It is comparing like with like. They are both companies that sell downloads of music. In eClassical’s case, they stick to classical music. Qobuz also do Rock, Pop, Jazz etc. So it’s even worse that they don’t have as much choice in classical music as Qobuz.

eClassical don’t think of themselves as BIS on-line, this is what they say ...

"Worlds Brightest Classical FLAC and MP3 Music Store
                          We are a Swedish company founded in 1999 with the vision to satisfy the listening needs of classical music lovers as well as to promote the music of world-class musicians to a larger audience.
                          eClassical.com is a secure online store open 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Customers and visitors can download classical music in popular downloadable formats like FLAC and MP3 at the highest quality, as well as find out more about classical music.
                          Our support is fast, personal and always near-by!'

Comment

Robert Von Bahr is CEO of BIS records and eClassical, they are closely affiliated. Most, if not all, eClassical newsletters highlight new, often very unusual & enterprising, BIS releases. So I can't imagine that the pool of resources to fund and develop such recording projects is anything but the same one.

Many BIS recordings are available on Qobuz. Are any Qobuz recordings available on eClassical...?
                            So - go figure....
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 29-04-17, 02:12.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Robert Von Bahr is CEO of BIS records and eClassical, they are closely affiliated. Most, if not all, eClassical newsletters highlight new, often very unusual & enterprising, BIS releases. So I can't imagine that the pool of resources to fund and develop such recording projects is anything but the same one.

Many BIS recordings are available on Qobuz. Are any Qobuz recordings available on eClassical...?
                              So - go figure....
                              Well they need to get their finger out if they want to deliver on their mission statement!

("Worlds Brightest Classical FLAC and MP3 Music Store")

Comment

I have Spotify Premium. They have all kinds of music genres, and Qobuz looks rather expensive for their top of the range output.

J S Bach
                                Goldberg Variations. Beatrice Rana(piano).
                                Last edited by BBMmk2; 29-04-17, 08:46.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X