This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last few days - an eclectic mix:
    Nobel laureate B. Dylan: Tempest, Time out of Mind. Getting in the mood for concert Thursday week in Bournemouth (must be a pensioners' special down there - we're ridin' the midnight train.)
    Palestrina First Book of Madrigals - Rinaldo Alessandrini, Concerto Italiano (new acquisition on Brilliant Classics)
    Randy Newman, Songbook Vol 3 - piano only accompaniment - also new
    John Cage - Sonatas and Interludes - John Tilbury
    Hindemith, Kammermusik - Chailly/Concertgebouw
    Emmylou Harris - Luxury Liner, which includes her version of the late (great) Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell.

Comment

Kalevi Aho: Sieidi (Martin Grubinger, Finnish Radio SO, Gustavo Gimeno)

Comment

Dvořák
        Stabat mater, for four soloists, chorus and orchestra
        Erin Wall (soprano); Mihoko Fujimura (mezzo); Christian Elsner (tenor); Liang Li (bass)
        Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks
        Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Mariss Jansons
        Recorded live 2015 Herkulessaal, Munich
        BR Klassik

Menahem Pressler - A 90th Birthday Celebration - Live in Paris
        Dvorak

Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 81, B.155
        Schubert
        Piano Quintet ‘The Trout’
        Menahem Pressler (piano)
        Quatuor Ebène (Pierre Colombet (violin); Gabriel Le Magadure (violin); Mathieu Herzog (viola); Raphaël Merlin (cello))
        Benjamin Berlioz (double bass)
        Recorded live 2013, Salle Pleyel, Paris
        Erato
        A quite wonderful performance of the Trout Quintet with Menahem Pressler showing remarkable artistry!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Great programme (but I don’t know the recordings).
          Strongly recommended Beefy. Edward Gardner has become quite a conductor in this field, imo.

Hiya Stan. That recording of the Dvorak Stabat Mater, is absolutely wonderful!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
            Kalevi Aho: Sieidi (Martin Grubinger, Finnish Radio SO, Gustavo Gimeno)

What great music - how I would have loved to have been at that gig!

And excellent sound quality on this YouTube video.

Thanks for posting Demetrius

Comment

Soft Machine - Live In The 70s: only purchased to get free postage on the putative Strauss box.

BUT - what a bargain! This is my fifth consecutive listening within a fortnight.

Best £8.40 ever spent!

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Last few days - an eclectic mix:
                Nobel laureate B. Dylan: Tempest, Time out of Mind. Getting in the mood for concert Thursday week in Bournemouth (must be a pensioners' special down there - we're ridin' the midnight train.)
                Palestrina First Book of Madrigals - Rinaldo Alessandrini, Concerto Italiano (new acquisition on Brilliant Classics)
                Randy Newman, Songbook Vol 3 - piano only accompaniment - also new
                John Cage - Sonatas and Interludes - John Tilbury
                Hindemith, Kammermusik - Chailly/Concertgebouw
                Emmylou Harris - Luxury Liner, which includes her version of the late (great) Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell.
                I picked up Fallen Angels last week and was surprised by how good it is. Dylan does more interesting things with the Great American Songbook than certain other people I could name.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  One of my very favourite works, but......

I've never found the voice/singer for the role of l'enfant to sound young enough (I have the classic Maazel, Ansermet, and Previn EMI recordings), and would be interested to hear how Mrs Rattle III copes with the role.
                  Looking forward to the Opera North production in October.
                  Didn't know this work at all, so picked up a dirt cheap used copy of the Maazel.

Loving it.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Janacek: Orchestral Music Vol.3
                    Glagolitic Mass; Adagio;
                    Hail Mary(David Stewart, violin, Karstein Askeland, organ);
                    Our Father.(Johannes Wik, harp, Karstein Askeland,organ)
                    Sara Jakubiak(soprano), Susan Bickley(mezzo-soprano),
                    Stuart Skelton(tenor), Gabor Bretz(bass), Thomas Trotter(organ),
                    Edvard Greig Kor, Bergen Cathedral Choir,
                    Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Edward Gardner.
                    Enjoyed playing this yesterday quite a lot. Good to hear the other works on here as well. I'll be playing the Glagolitic Mass.

Berlioz Overture Les Francs Juges.
                    Dresden Staatskapelle, Sir Colin Davis.

Debussy La Mer
                    Lucerne Festivsl Orchesrtra, Claudio Abbado.

Henri Duttileaux: l'Abres des songes.
                    Olivier charlier(violin), BBCPO,Yan pascal Tortelier.

Saint-Saens Symphony No.3 in C major, "Organ".
                    Simon Preston, Berliner Philharmoniker, James Levine.

I've had the CD below for sometime and not played it, for some reason!

Vaughan Williams
                    The Lark Ascending(David Nolan); Fantasia on Greensleeves; Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis;
                    Elgar
                    Serenade in E minor, Op.20; Variations on an original, "Enigma", Op.36.
                    Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra,
                    Vernon Handley.
                    Last edited by BBMmk2; 27-04-17, 14:19.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

So far today:

Bowie - Heathen
                      Reich - WTC 9/11
                      Lutoslawski - Concerto For Orchestra (x2 Skrowazewski & Urbanski. The latter has the edge at the moment, both new recordings to me)
                      Berg, Webern, Schoenberg - James Levine DG (3 pieces, 6 pieces & 5 pieces respectively. This is IMV, the best 2VS recording out there)
                      Bartok - String Quartet #4 - Belcea Quartet (currently my go-to Bartok Quartets)
                      Petrassi - Fourth Concerto For Orchestra

Now - Laibach - Spectre (IMV, their best album and one of the top ten rock/whatever albums of all time)

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Didn't know this work at all, so picked up a dirt cheap used copy of the Maazel.

Loving it.

Bits of the writing/orchestration are sheer magic.

Single CD issue in slip case, or the later 2CD release with L'heure espagnole and other fillers?

Comment

Now:

Seiber, Mátyás - String Quartet #2
                          Amedeus Quartet. EMI

I’m toying with the idea of getting a download of all three of his string quartets by the Edinburgh Quartet. It’s available quite reasonably from Qobuz at £7.99.

I also have a Decca CD that contains Seiber’s Three Portraits from "A portrait of the Artist as a yougn man". I have not played it more than once or twice and I’m unfamiliar with it.
                          Last edited by Beef Oven!; 27-04-17, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Bits of the writing/orchestration are sheer magic.

Single CD issue in slip case, or the later 2CD release with L'heure espagnole and other fillers?
                            The rather space consuming slipcase, with a very decent booklet.
                            I see I could have upgraded to the double for another £2.98 !
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Now:

Seiber, Mátyás - String Quartet #2
                              Amedeus Quartet. EMI

I’m toying with the idea of getting a download of all three of his string quartets by the Edinburgh Quartet. It’s available quite reasonably from Qobuz at £7.99.

I also have a Decca CD that contains Seiber’s Three Portraits from "A portrait of the Artist as a yougn man". I have not played it more than once or twice and I’m unfamiliar with it.
                              Well that performance of the second string quartet by the Amedeus Quartet was utterly lacklustre. A real disappointment. I’ve had the CD for years, I bought it for the Tippett (the Seiber is a single filler), and haven’t played it in quite a while.

This is not an excuse to buy a new recording, it is a genuinely boring performance. I think I’m going to get a download of 1-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                                I picked up Fallen Angels last week and was surprised by how good it is. Dylan does more interesting things with the Great American Songbook than certain other people I could name.
                                ...and he does a lot worse than many others!

Comment

Working...
                                X