X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bartok: The Wooden Prince
    LSO/Dorati

Despite a few glitches (listening via Deezer/Sonos), MUCH more exciting than the Sony NYPO/Boulez version that I listened to last night.
    Mind you, I have cranked the volume up a bit too!

Comment

Started with the intention of an all-Respighi "programme" consisting of Metamorphoseon (Philharmonia/Simon; incredible work, should be up there with the great orchestral variations sets) and the Roman trilogy (various), but on the spur of the moment I've decided to insert Suk's symphonic poem Praga (Czech PO/Pesek) into proceedings. Maybe it was the dramatic organ-infused ending to Metamorphoseon...

Comment

Beethoven - Symphony #3
        Kammerorchester Basel, Giovanni Antonini.

Comment

Inspired by another thread...

Bartok:

Dance Suite
          Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste

[interval]

Concerto for Orchestra
          Chicago Symphony Orchestra
          Sir Georg Solti
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Great programme there Pet!

Radio 3 in Concert
            Debussy: Preludea l'apre midi d'un faune
            Bartok: Violin Concerto no.2
            Bruckner: Symphony no.4
            Antoine Tamstitt(violin), LSO, Francois-Xavier Roth.

My favourite orchestra.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Mahler 4 for me too today, BBCSSO/Runnicles.

Much to enjoy here. A truly wonderful symphony.

Comment

Schönberg, 6 songs, Op. 8, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7io8UqcQjg . Vier Letzte Lieder waiting to happen more than 40 years in advance? All too rarely performed, methinks...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Schönberg, 6 songs, Op. 8, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7io8UqcQjg . Vier Letzte Lieder waiting to happen more than 40 years in advance? All too rarely performed, methinks...
                  I have that recording in the Sinopoli box that many of us got cheap following an Amazon pricing error but inadvertently gave away the single Elatus disc which included the texts (which the box doesn't) so thanks to this post I not only now have the texts but the score as well!

Thanks!
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Rachmaninov Symphony #1.

Maazel/BPO.

I'd really like another recording of this, recommendations welcome please .

The Ashkenazy/RC Double Decca is top of my list ATM.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

DSCH 5
                      Boston Symphony Orchestra, Nelsons. DG H-Res download.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Rachmaninov Symphony #1.

Maazel/BPO.

There are several good ones you really need a good old Russian - Svetlanov, Rozhdestvensky, Sanderling or the old Ormandy is good.

Comment

Well, I hope others here revelled in that Bruckner Symphony No.4 (1878-80) with the LSO and Xavier-Roth as much as I did tonight!

A performance full of interpretative interest with light transparent textures & keenly-profiled rhythms giving onto superbly weighty climaxes underpinned with terrific timpani playing. Xavier-Roth showing - as Knappertsbusch and Furtwängler knew so well - that a rubato-rich shaping of the finale (1878-80 tonight) does it no harm at all, may indeed be key to a successful interpretation.... hearing it played like it was tonight, somehow both wilful and intuitive, one's doubts about the movement simply fall away.

On the Radio 3 Flac lossless stream, the sound was just magnificent. Smooth, spacious, full and expansive, with remarkable low-level resolution of some extremely quiet string playing just as breathtaking as the thunderous, expansive climaxes. And all so easy-on-the-ears. Did the Barbican ever sound as wonderful as this over the air? Maybe back in the 1990s somewhere on flywheel-tuned FM...
                          I'd forgotten what a lovely slow movement the Bartok Viola Concerto has - and Antoine Tamestit's Viola was effortlessly revealed in all its husky, smoky beauty.
                          Oh, it will be hard to return to lossy codecs after treats like this - roll on Friday (terrific Bridgewater Gubaidulina/VW program, dnm!) then a coupla months of patience and anticipation...

Comment

Rachmaninov Symphony #1.

Maazel/BPO.

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            There are several good ones you really need a good old Russian - Svetlanov, Rozhdestvensky, Sanderling or the old Ormandy is good.
                            Or a good new Russian one perhaps?
                            RLPO/Petrenko gets good reports here:
                            Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 1. Warner Classics: 4095962. Buy download online. Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Vasily Petrenko

(I've got the old LSO/Previn set on EMI.)

Comment

Rachmaninov Symphony #1.

Maazel/BPO.

Not a lot wrong with St Petersburg/Jansons IMV

Plus all this for under £9 (used like new) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...condition=used

Comment

Miloslav Kabeláč - Symphony #1
                                Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra, Marko Ivanovic. Supraphon. 16 bit Download.

Working my way through these in order, 1-8

Comment

Working...
                                X