• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saint-Saëns
    Violin Concerto No. 3 in B minor, Op. 61
    La Muse et le Poète for violin, cello and orchestra, Op. 132
    Cello Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op. 33
    Renaud Capuçon (violin) & Gautier Capuçon (cello)
    Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France/Lionel Bringuier
    Recorded 2013: Salle Pleyel, Paris (Op. 132; Op. 33); Théâtre du Châtelet, Paris (Op. 61)
    Erato

‘Espoir’ - Michael Spyres
    Opera arias from Rossini, Donizetti, Halévy, Verdi, Auber, Berlioz

Michael Spyres (tenor)
    Hallé / Carlo Rizzi
    with Joyce El-Khoury (soprano)
    Recorded 2017 Chetham’s School of Music, Manchester
    Opera Rara

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      So, in other words, if you have the recordings already, there’s no need to buy these ones?
      As the 1st was released in 2013 by the Lucerne Festival/Accentus (and is in the DG Abbado Symphony Edition box) - and you already have it, I can't see any compelling reason to buy the 2CD reissue, other than to look at the pictures and read the notes in the booklet (but see the link I included in my earlier post). I doubt very much if any re-mastering of the sound has taken place. I'm slightly surprised that they didn't add Abbado's Lucerne 4th, which was released in 2007 (and is a very fine performance).

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        I'm 99.9% certain that the DG 9th ("A production of Accentus Music - Recorded live at the Concert Hall of the Lucerne KKL, 21 - 26 August 2013") is exactly the same as the recent Accentus Music (re)issue - "recorded in the Lucerne KKL, August 2013". If this link works, the booklet for the latter is at:

When, on 26th August 2013 in the KKL Concert Hall, Claudio Abbado conducted a performance of Bruckner’s Ninth with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra, there was present in the room an inescapable sense of an ending. To this day, those present recall the conductor’s gesture of gratitude and ...

I too was a bit taken aback at the general fanfare about this re-release which seemed to have airbrushed out of existence the fact that the performance had been in the DG catalogue for the last 5 years. I also have somewhere a recording from a Radio 3 Afternoon Concert of one of those August performances.
        In fact, I did go into some detail about this back in the thread, scrutinising booklet notes/dates, pondering whether it was the same performance as the DG, or another from the same week/month etc...were there other performances around the same time...?.....it wasn't easy to be completely sure.

The Listening thread does rush on by!
        I wish others would post new (re)release specials, but.... there you go....

But a uniquely intense and beautiful, end-of-life performance anyway....

Comment

Gustav Mahler. Symphony No. 4

Barbera Bonney, soprano.

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra conducted by Riccardo Chailly.

Comment

"VIRTUOSISSIMO"

Violin Concertos by JEAN-MARIE LECLAIR/PIETRO ANTONIO LOCATELLI/ JOHANN GEORG PISENDEL / GIUSEPPE TARTINI/ GEORG PHILIPP TELEMANN

dmitry sinkovsky VIOLIN AND CONDUCTOR/il pomo d’oro

NAIVE New Release 24/88.2, Qobuz.
            Far more than a vanity-show-vehicle, very attractive lesser-known violin concertante works ....
            High Baroque entertainment!

Comment

Beethoven Piano Concertos 1&2.
              Vogt/CBSO/Rattle. EMI CD 1996.

Wonderful performances..... I usually listen to this rep on HIPPs/Chamber Orchestras now, but with such deft, sensitive, infinitely subtle readings and lovely sound, preferential disbeliefs are, like time itself, suspended....

And what a fiery orchestral response in the finale of No.1!
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 31-10-19, 05:21.

Comment

‘French Opera Arias’ - Samuel Ramey
                Opera arias by Bizet, Gounod, Rossini, Meyerbeer, Offenbach, Thomas, Massenet

Samuel Ramey (bass)
                Ambrosian Opera Chorus,
                LPO / Julius Rudel
                Recorded 1989 London
                Philips

Mozart - Clara Haskil
                Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor, K466
                RIAS Symphony Orchestra Berlin / Ferenc Fricsay
                Recorded 1954 RIAS studio, Berlin
                Piano Concerto No. 13 in C minor, K415
                Festival Strings Lucerne/Rudolf Baumgartner
                Piano Sonata in F major, K280
                12 Variations on ‘Ah, vous dirai-je Maman’, K.265
                Recorded 1960 Gemeindesaal der Lukaskirche, Lucerne
                Clara Haskil (piano)
                Deutsche Grammophon

Comment

Birtwistle - Panic. On Radio 3 currently. I have this on CD (twice) - one of my favourite Birtwistle pieces.

Comment

Beethoven. Symphony No. 9.

Herbert Von Karajan conducting Die Berliner Philharmoniker.

1977 vintage.

This is my celebration of ‘non Brexit day’! I have a, soon to be shredded, picture of one N. Farage, which I will turn my back on when Ludwig gets to his ‘Ode to Joy’ moment!

Comment

Bruckner 8.
                      Karajan/ VPO on dvd from 1978.

Watching on my new smart TV,( I know, very 21st century ) audio run through my trusty stereo.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        Beethoven. Symphony No. 9.

Herbert Von Karajan conducting Die Berliner Philharmoniker.

1977 vintage.

This is my celebration of ‘non Brexit day’! I have a, soon to be shredded, picture of one N. Farage, which I will turn my back on when Ludwig gets to his ‘Ode to Joy’ moment!
                        Why wait that long?

Comment

PG beat me to it and JosephK gave me the coupling.

Birtwistle: Panic
                          John Harle (saxophone), Paul Clarvis (drum kit)
                          BBC Symphony Orchestra
                          Sir Andrew Davis

[interval]

Beethoven: Symphony No 9 (Choral)
                          Heather Harper (soprano), Helen Watts (contralto)
                          Alexander Young (tenor), Donald McIntyre (bass)
                          London Symphony Chorus
                          London Symphony Orchestra
                          Leopold Stokowski
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Into the night and into this.......

Hector Berlioz Messe Solennelle h20 (1824).
                            Le Concert Spirituel/Hervé Niquet
                            Alpha New Release, Qobuz-S 24/88.2

Hardly know the work...instruments d'époque, smallish chorus..... sounds pretty wonderful....
                            ....well whaddya know.... the ​Gratias begins with the same string-cantilena melody as the later ​Scène aux Champs from the Fantastique.. ... now the chorus develop it....

I never knew this....just gorgeous..... astonishing really...
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-11-19, 05:59.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Into the night
                              into this.......

Hector Berlioz Messe Solennelle h20 (1824).
                              Le Concert Spirituel/Hervé Niquet
                              Alpha New Release, Qobuz-S 24/88.2

Hardly know the work...instruments d'époque, smallish chorus..... sounds pretty wonderful....
                              ....well whaddya know.... the ​Gratias begins with the same string-cantilena melody as the later ​Scène aux Champs from the Fantastique.. ... now the chorus develop it....

I never knew this....just gorgeous..... astonishing really...
                              Shock horror! Halloween was yesterday! How can you have missed all the hype (juatified, for once) re, the JEG audio and video releases of the then newly discocered work, back in 1994? Looking forward to hearig this Niquet recording. I doubt Tony will have criticisms re. brass/horn tuning he had re. their Handel.
                              Last edited by Bryn; 01-11-19, 10:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Shich horror! Halloween was yesterday! How can you have missed all the hype (juatified, for once) re, the JEG audio and video releases of the then newly discocered work, back in 1994? Looking forward to hearig this Niquet recording. I doubt Tony will have criticisms re. brass/horn tuning he had re. their Handel.
                                Likewise, as am I!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X