• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Score following - Days 316-319

W Schuman:
    String Quartet No 4
    New England Tryptch
    Violin Concerto (final revised version of 1959)
    A Song of Orpheus for Cello & Orchestra
    Symphony No 3
    Symphony No 4
    Symphony No 5 (Symphony for Strings)
    Symphony No 6
    Symphony No 7
    Symphony No 8
    Symphony No 9 'Le fosse ardeatine'

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Which, like any comment upon a recording here, is a review itself, however brief.

Reviewing the Reviewers, "To Criticise the Critic", Quarterly Retrospects and other second looks or alternative views have a long tradition in music journalism, in the Gramophone, MusicWeb and elsewhere.... always absorbing and a lot of fun.
      Exactly. I have just finished listening to his [Currentzis] Beethoven symphony no. 5; unfortunately things do not get any better. In due course I will write a little more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        I'd seen and heard about this new(?) release, and wonder how it compares in what is a very strong field....
        It was Presto's record of the week last Friday.
        Excellent performances, I found the sound a bit echoey in parts of No 6 (listened via Naxos Library).
        The 6th was recorded on the cusp of the first lockdown which adds to the sense of impending doom I think
        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
          It was Presto's record of the week last Friday.
          Excellent performances, I found the sound a bit echoey in parts of No 6 (listened via Naxos Library).
          The 6th was recorded on the cusp of the first lockdown which adds to the sense of impending doom I think
          Thank you. On my 'good to sample' list, being a bit of a RVW symphonies collector.

Comment

Greetings Everyone

I'd like to thank everyone for their insightful posts. I quite enjoy reading the different views and opinions being espoused here. My second post only, and judging from quality of the knowledge I have seen so far by various members, I must resign myself to admit that I do not have much to contribute, if any.

The Early Recordings by Robert Casadesus are currently on my listening rotation. What a wonderful pianist, especially in the music of Mozart. The first album (I think) that I had of him was a four sonata collection of Beethoven and his Appassionata was terrific, especially the last movement. His early stuff finds him playing Debussy, Ravel, Mozart and Chopin, and none are below excellent.

Robert Casadesus - The Early Recordings On Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
              Thank you. On my 'good to sample' list, being a bit of a RVW symphonies collector.
              'I really DON'T need yet another Vaughan Williams 6th', he said, desperately trying to convince himself .....

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorales View Post
                Greetings Everyone

I'd like to thank everyone for their insightful posts. I quite enjoy reading the different views and opinions being espoused here. My second post only, and judging from quality of the knowledge I have seen so far by various members, I must resign myself to admit that I do not have much to contribute, if any.

The Early Recordings by Robert Casadesus are currently on my listening rotation. What a wonderful pianist, especially in the music of Mozart. The first album (I think) that I had of him was a four sonata collection of Beethoven and his Appassionata was terrific, especially the last movement. His early stuff finds him playing Debussy, Ravel, Mozart and Chopin, and none are below excellent.

Robert Casadesus - The Early Recordings On Spotify
                Welcome, Pastorales; don't let other posts here put you off making your own contributions.
                It's always good to read what others are listening to; such posts can prompt all sorts of discussion.
                Of course, it's often interesting to know what attracted you to the music you're listening to, and what you think of the performance, but that's by no means obligatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
                  Currently listening to King FM, a radio station based in Seattle, picked up on that amazing Radio Garden website.

Ther’re currently playing

JOACHIM RAFF

S No 03 in F Maj “In the Forest” Op 153

Milton Keynes City O / Hilary Davan Wetton

I’ve got Wetton performing Beethoven’s Der glorreiche Augenblick Op 136.

But Raff’s work is absolutely delightful! Never heard of this composer, so really must explore further as I know nothing about him.

Mario
                  Mario, glad you've discovered Raff, have a look at the Raff website for more information on him and his huge amount of music. The 6 volumes of his piano music on Grand Piano with Try Nguyen are superb and there are plenty of fine recordings of various chamber works. Symphony wise, those on the Tudor label are mostly better than the Marco-Polo ones. His 5th Symphony, "Lenore" is superb too.
                  Best regards,
                  Jonathan

Comment

Ekaterina Siurina – ‘Amour Eternel’
                    French & Italian arias/duets by Bizet, G. Charpentier, Gounod, Puccini & Verdi

Ekaterina Siurina (soprano),
                    Kaunas City Symphony Orchestra / Constantine Orbelian
                    Duets with Charles Castronovo (tenor)
                    Recorded 2019 Philharmonic Hall, Kaunas, Lithuania
                    Delos

Godard & Boëllmann – Cello Sonatas
                    Godard

Cello sonata, Op. 104
                    Two pieces for cello & piano, Op. 61
                    Boëllmann
                    Cello sonata, Op. 31
                    Two pieces for cello & piano, Op. 40
                    Mats Lidström (cello), Bengt Forsberg (piano)
                    Recorded 1995, St. George’s, Brandon Hill, Bristol
                    Hyperion

Comment

'Mercury' from The Planets - but that's only because I forgot to switch off the moment SK took over from Petroc - now remedied!

Comment

In celebration of the power of the little man…

BEETHOVEN

S No 05 in C min Op 67

NBC S O – Toscanini A (1939)

Mario

Comment

Alun Hoddinott Symphony No. 6 BBC NOW/Thomson

Comment

In celebration of the power of the little man…

BEETHOVEN

S No 05 in C min Op 67
                            ... I thought it was Beethoven's Third Symphony which celebrated Napoleon

Comment

Fair enough vinteuil!

I was thinking of the 4th of the 5th, which I haven't heard in years, and which certainly lifted this fan of that passé club!

Did you get my PM, v?

Best wishes,

Mario

Comment

Fair enough vinteuil!

I was thinking of the 4th of the 5th, which I haven't heard in years, and which certainly lifted this fan of that passé club!
                                The finale quotes from a French revolutionary anthem of one Claude-Joseph Rouget de Lisle.

Comment

Working...
                                X