This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I think…I enjoy listening to what I think I like and among many composers including Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky and Respighi. We all have thoughts! One of mine is that most minimalist music is monotonous, miserable and meaningless (I also like alliteration!), and it is probably the product of lazy composing.

I’m currently downsizing my CD collection and I’m frequently surprised by some of the things I find I like on a re-listen but also those which I thought good in the past now on the Charity Shop pile!
    If I wish to listen for mind numbing repetition, any pop song can fit the bill

Comment

Bruckner
      Symphony No. 9
      Original Version 1894 (edited by Leopold Nowak)
      Gürzenich-Orchester Köln/François-Xavier Roth
      Recorded Live, June 2022 Philharmonie, Kölner, Germany
      Myrios Classics, new CD

Comment

John Field: Nocturnes - Florent Albrecht (pianoforte de Meglio). Excellent performances on a superb instrument.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Back to old favourites for a while:

Delius: On the Heights (Paa Vidderne)
          Bax: The Garden of Fand
          Bantock: Fifine at the Fair.

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Sir Thomas Beecham.

It;s funny how the very sound of these old recordings takes me back to the time I first heard them, reminding me of what I was doing at the time, whom I was seeing,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

If I wish to listen for mind numbing repetition, any pop song can fit the bill
            The problem with the best pop lyrics is that you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Comment

Brahms
              Serenade No. 1 in D major, Op. 11
              Serenade No. 2 in A major, Op. 16
              Gewandhausorchester Leipzig / Riccardo Chailly
              Recorded 2014 Gewandhaus, Leipzig, Germany
              Decca, CD

Bryan Hymel – 'Héroïque' – French Opera Arias
              Arias from Rossini, Berlioz, Verdi, Gounod, Meyerbeer, Massenet, Reyer, Bruneau & Rabaud
              Bryan Hymel (tenor)
              Czech Philharmonic Choir of Brno,
              PKF-Prague Philharmonia / Emmanuel Villaume
              Recorded 2014, Smetana Hall, Prague, Czech Republic
              Warner Classics, CD

Comment

RVW, Sixth Symphony , Flos Campi , Abravanel/Utah, on a DVD Audio.
                I am wondering if Abravanel recorded more Vaughn Williams

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  RVW, Sixth Symphony , Flos Campi , Abravanel/Utah, on a DVD Audio.
                  I am wondering if Abravanel recorded more Vaughn Williams
                  Discogs suggests two Vanguard LPs:

Dona nobis pacem c/w Symphony 6
                  Tallis fantasia/Dives and Lazarus/Flos campi/Fantasia on Greensleeves

I'm pretty sure I had his Dona nobis, but I think coupled with Flos campi!
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 24-04-24, 14:58. Reason: slash instead of apostrophe!

Comment

Yes, the Dona nobis pacem was the work's first recording and the Flos Campi its first stereo recording, and a very fine performance too from violist Sally Peck Lentz, one of many fine artists who seem famous for only one recording. I'd like to have heard her in the Hindemith concerto.

I've just revisited Alexander Goehr's early Piano Sonata . I don't suppose it gets played much these days. It hs a fine sympathetic performance by John Ogdon who recorded a number of little-known solo piano works by Max Davies, Richard Hall and Harry Birtwistle, all of whom he knew personaly.

Comment

Elizabeth Maconchy. Piano concerto.

Martin Jones, piano. The BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by John Andrews.

A friend gave me a copy of this cd and insisted that I listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Discogs suggests two Vanguard LPs:

Dona nobis pacem c/w Symphony 6
                        Tallis fantasia/Dives and Lazarus/Flos campi/Fantasia on Greensleeves

I'm pretty sure I had his Dona nobis, but I think coupled with Flos campi!
                        I omitted the Dona and Divers and Lazarus from what seems to be a generously filled DVD. Yours and Smittems comments that some of these Abravanel recordings were at least stereo premieres is interesting, as I would have surely thought that a UK ensemble would have had that honor. Pity there isn’t more from Abravanel

Comment

Elgar: ​​The Dream of Gerontius
                          Philip Langridge (tenor), Catherine Wyn Rogers (contralto)
                          Alastair Miles (bass)
                          BBC Symphony Chorus
                          BBC Symphony Orchestra
                          Sir Andrew Davis

Recorded live in St Paul's Cathedral, London on November 26 1997.

I was present at this performance, way down the nave, but could hear very little of it. The acoustics are so bad that the soloists were mostly inaudible and the Chorus just one big mush.

The DVD, though, is excellent and I'm still glad I went. I've not seen it for years and it was so perfect to do so now.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

El Amor Brujo (abridged 1945 recording): the National Symphony Orchestra, Enrique Jorda. Quite an outing for the 22-year old Dennis Brain as principal horn, with some lovely solos.

It occurred to me for the first time today that this work was quite possibly an influence on Constant Lambert's early masterpiece The Rio Grande.

Comment

Bruckner
                              Mass No. 3 in F minor for soloists, four-part mixed choir, organ & orchestra (1867/68),
                              WAB 28 (Nowak edition)
                              Sally Matthews (soprano), Karen Cargill (mezzo-soprano), Ilker Arcayürek (tenor) & Stanislav Trofimov (bass)
                              Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks (Howard Arman, chorus master)
                              Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks / Mariss Jansons
                              Recorded Live 2019, Herkulesaal, Munich
                              BR Klassik, CD, new release

Comment

Verdi 'Don Carlo'
                                (five act Italian version of 1867)

Plácido Domingo (Don Carlo), Montserrat Caballé (Elizabetta), Shirley Verrett (Princess Eboli),
                                Sherrill Milnes (Rodrigo),
                                Ruggero Raimondi (Philip II), Giovanni Foiani (Grand Inquisitor),
                                Simon Estes (Monk)
                                Ambrosian Opera Chorus,
                                Orchestra of the Royal Opera House / Carlo Maria Giulini
                                Studio recording 1970, Walthamstow Town Hall, London
                                EMI (HMV), remastered on Warner Classics, 3 CD set

My plan is to play this tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X