This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honegger. Cris du Monde

Heard this continuous, hour-long oratorio for the first time yesterday.
    Unearthed a libretto online; have become obsessed by this searing piece, and did a quick Amazon review:

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Avison: Concertos in Seven Parts Done from the Lessons of Domenico Scarlatti Nos. 6, 5. 11. 3. 9 and 12 (Café Zimmermann)
      That's a great CD, I wish they'd completed the set (and that of Vivaldi's op.3, and CPE Bach's string symphonies...)

Comment

Feldman: "For Bunita Marcus" (Hamelin).

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Feldman: "For Bunita Marcus" (Hamelin).
          Hamelin's repertoire has covered quite a variety of music over the years but I have to admit to some surprise on discovering that he would record this...

Comment

Gustav Mahler Das Lied von der Erde.
            Christa Ludwig, Fritz Wunderlich
            New Philarmonia & Philharmonia Orcgestra
            Otto Klemperer.

Richard Strauss
            Also Sprach Zarathustra; Dance of the Seven Veils
            Ein Heldenleben.
            Chicago SO, Fritz Reiner.
            Last edited by BBMmk2; 12-03-19, 13:05.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Johann Hermann Schein - Cymbalum Sionium, sacred music performed by the excellent Capella Ducale and Musica Fiata ensembles.

Previously I'd only really taken much notice of Schein's instrumental ensemble music (particularly on a disc by Hespèrion XX that's been around for many years) but the music on this collection is also highly valuable, in a similar kind of polychoral vein to Schütz's more fully scored works, and indeed setting some of the same biblical texts. On the other hand, comparing Schein's setting of the psalm text "Ist nicht Ephraim mein teurer Sohn?" with Schütz's (and with Samuel Scheidt's, which I listened to yesterday on a disc featuring the same performers as today's) does emphasise the unique profundity of Schütz's way with words. I don't think it's just a matter of greater familiarity; it's the same sort of feeling one might have in comparing Mahler's 8th symphony to the relevant bits of Schumann's Szenen aus Faust - there's nothing wrong or defective about the latter, it just obviously isn't on the same level.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                Honegger. Cris du Monde

Unearthed a libretto online; have become obsessed by this searing piece, and did a quick Amazon review:
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006PV4YU
                That sounds really interesting, though the other reviewer has some harsh words about the recording quality. I guess this is the only release of Cris du Monde though...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Hamelin's repertoire has covered quite a variety of music over the years but I have to admit to some surprise on discovering that he would record this...
                  It's beautifully recorded, too. Damper and key sound are clearly audible, without being in any way intrusive. All part of the musical performance.

Now moved on to the Knoop & Co. playing "Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello" (dodocool pocket player to Bose noise cancelling headphones while heading into London by Greenline bus).

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                    Honegger. Cris du Monde

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006PV4YU

Many thanks for this tip off, Master; on the strength of your recommendation, I have just ordered the final, new copy in stock. I know most of the works well, including Nicolas de Flue, but have only vestigial memories of hearing Cris du Monde on the wireless, many moons ago.

Comment

Gustav Mahler
                      Das Lied von der Erde
                      New Philharmonia & Philharmonia Orcgestras
                      Otto Klemperer

Richard Strauss
                      Also Sprach Zarathustra
                      Dance of the Seven Veils
                      Ein Heldenleben
                      Chicago SO, Fritz Reiner.
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

‘French Music for String Orchestra’
                        Koechlin

Sur les flots lointains, Op. 130
                        Lekeu
                        Adagio pour cordes
                        Honegger
                        Hymne pour dixtuor à cordes, (arranged for string orchestra)
                        Symphonie No. 2, pour cordes avec trompette ad libitum
                        Castérède
                        Symphonie No. 1, pour orchestre à cordes
                        Saint-Saëns
                        Sarabande, Op. 93
                        Ciconia Consort/ Dick van Gasteren
                        Emmy Storms, violin (track 8); Rianne Schoemaker, trumpet (track 11)
                        Recorded 2018, Westvest Kerk, Schiedam, Netherlands
                        Brilliant Classics - An outstanding album
                        I would never have noticed this CD had Stan (to whom big thanks) not brought it to our attention. Dutch-based orchestra of young musicians, who play beautifully a really interesting programme. Partly crowd-funded so I hope that investors enjoy it as much as I have done. Difficult not to, really.

Comment

Walton
                          Sacred Music
                          Coronation Te Deum; Drop, drop slow tears; Magnificat and Nunc Dimitis
                          Where does the uttered music go?; Jubilate Deo; Cantico del Sole; The Twelve
                          Set me as a seal upon thine heart; Antiphon; Missa Brevis
                          Touch her soft lips and part & The Death of Falstaff (organ solos)
                          Christopher Whitton (organ)
                          Choir of St John's College, Cambridge
                          Christopher Robinson
                          Recorded 2001 St John's College Chapel, Cambridge
                          Naxos

Beethoven
                          Sonata No. 7 in C Minor, Op. 30/2
                          Sonata No. 8 in G Major, Op. 30/3
                          Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 47 ‘Kreutzer’
                          Sonata No. 10 in G Major, Op. 96
                          Renaud Capuçon (violin) & Frank Braley (piano)
                          Recorded 2009, L’heure bleue, Salle de musique, La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland
                          From ‘The Complete Violin Sonatas’
                          Virgin Classics

Comment

Hi Stan. That’s a very good recording of Walton’s choral music. Very enjoyable.

Brahms
                            Piano Concerto No.1 in D minor, Op.15.
                            Artur Rubenstein, (Piano)
                            Chicago SO
                            Fritz Reiner.
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Many thanks for this tip off, Master; on the strength of your recommendation, I have just ordered the final, new copy in stock. I know most of the works well, including Nicolas de Flue, but have only vestigial memories of hearing Cris du Monde on the wireless, many moons ago.
                              You will be pleased to read that the Am_.com reviewer comes down on the side of Tzipine, as against a Czech recording under Baudo:

https://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Honegg.../dp/B00008FLIB

Comment

Klassizistiche Moderne, Vol 2
                                Basle Chamber Orchestra/Christopher Hogwood, with Emma Kirkby
                                Arte Nova

A very nicely arranged programme:
                                Stravinsky: Suite No 1 for small orchestra
                                Tippett: Divertimento on Sellinger's Round
                                Stravinsky: Pastorale; Lied ohne Name for two bassoons; Three Songs from William Shakespeare; Fanfare for a new theatre; Aria and Cabaletta from The Rake's Progress (No word from Tom)
                                Britten: Sinfonietta
                                Stravinsky: Suite No 2 for small orchestra

Comment

Working...
                                X