• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I will be interested to see your reaction on receiving it. The content may not quite match the artwork's listing.
    Are you going to give me a clue?
    Here's a review that suggests otherwise, surely?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      I hadn't seen that before! I can't find it on Qobuz either, that's a shame.
      Eh? https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/ma.../0743218623622

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Eh? indeed - it doesn't turn up on the Qobuz app under any of the composers, or the conductor, or the orchestra, or the label. Not where I am anyway (which is in Germany as far as Qobuz is concerned).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Said it before, I'll say it again.... the classic Honegger 4th is the ORTF/Munch, and the loveliest refresh is the Suisse Romande/Luisi... in idiomatic beauty and intensity they get you further into the essence of the music, than the Dutoit or Baudo offerings (good though they both are, latter especially in the symphonies generally & outstanding in 2 & 5, if bested by the mono Munch...).
          I do think a French orchestra makes a difference here. There's a lovely coupling of Honegger 4/Dutilleux 2 with Munch on Erato (Lamoureux/ORTF), CD maybe rare/expensive now...

(The Apex issue with the Metaboles and the earlier Erato c/w Roussel have the same Honegger 4th recording, but I haven't heard them for SQ...)

(I have the Arte Nova CD as Bryn lists on Qobuz.... well, it's OK, but for the Honegger see above.. Honegger Symphonies are - very different from each other, difficult to get just right...the 4th is a delicate, exquisite flower really, with a gaudy dance at the end...a challenge in performance...)
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 14-03-19, 01:22.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Are you going to give me a clue?
            I have the series in an earlier version of the artwork. I forget, right now, which works were misattributed. I will have to search the discs out. They may have corrected the errors in your version. I seem to recall a Martinu work being attributed to Tippett but will check though it may take some time. The discs have been stored away in unlabeled stackable plastic boxes/bins holding around 40 CDs on jewel cases each.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Eh? indeed - it doesn't turn up on the Qobuz app under any of the composers, or the conductor, or the orchestra, or the label. Not where I am anyway (which is in Germany as far as Qobuz is concerned).
              I simply Googled "QOBUZ Hogwood Martinu". Searching within QOBUZ can be as unrewarding as searching within the BBC site using their own engine.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Said it before, I'll say it again.... the classic Honegger 4th is the ORTF/Munch, and the loveliest refresh is the Suisse Romande/Luisi... in idiomatic beauty and intensity they get you further into the essence of the music, than the Dutoit or Baudo offerings (good though they both are, latter especially in the symphonies generally & outstanding in some...).
                I do think a French orchestra makes a difference here. There's a lovely coupling of Hongger 4/Dutilleux 2 with Munch on Erato (Lamoureux/ORTF), CD maybe rare/expensive now...
                As well as the Dutoit I have a Toulouse/Plasson version of number 4: do you rate that, jayne?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

I have the series in an earlier version of the artwork. I forget, right now, which works were misattributed. I will have to search the discs out. They may have corrected the errors in your version. I seem to recall a Martinu work being attributed to Tippett but will check though it may take some time. The discs have been stored away in unlabeled stackable plastic boxes/bins holding around 40 CDs on jewel cases each.
                  There is some Tippett on Volume 2 of the series, mentioned in my post #6916.
                  Maybe early releases got the works mixed up?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

I simply Googled "QOBUZ Hogwood Martinu". Searching within QOBUZ can be as unrewarding as searching within the BBC site using their own engine.
                    Well, it isn't available at German Qobuz, that's for sure.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Néère’ – Véronique Gens
                      French Song Recital – Hahn, Duparc & Chausson

Véronique Gens (soprano)
                      Susan Manoff (piano)
                      Recorded 2015 Studio Teldex, Berlin
                      Alpha Classics

Onslow
                      String Quartet No. 28 in E, op. 54
                      String Quartet No. 29 in D minor, op. 55
                      String Quartet No. 30 in C minor, op.56
                      Diotima Quartet
                      Recorded 2009, MC2, Grenoble, France
                      Naïve

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Berio - Ritorno degli snovidenia - Ensemble Intercontemporian/Boulez

… Chemins II, Chemins IV, Corale and "Points on the curve to find" await me... I am finding Ritorno really excellent.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Arnold for Band
                          Four Scottish Dances, Op.59; Overseas, Op.70
                          Water Music, Op.82; The Padstow Lifeboat, Op.94
                          Little Suite No.2, Op.92; Fanfare for Louis 1970
                          English Dances Book 1, Op.27
                          HRH The Duke of Cambridge, Op.60
                          Dallas Wind Symphony
                          Jerry Junkin

Lincolnshire Posy
                          Music for Band by Percy Grainger

Dallas Wind Symphony
                          Jerry Junkin
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Berio - Ritorno degli snovidenia - Ensemble Intercontemporian/Boulez

… Chemins II, Chemins IV, Corale and "Points on the curve to find" await me... I am finding Ritorno really excellent.
                            That's a fine collection of works - although Ritorno is a beautiful piece, for me it's the least interesting of them. Points is one of my very favourite Berio pieces. (It's also contained within Concerto II - Echoing Curves which is a more extended piece with full orchestra, that's well worth hearing too.)

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

That's a fine collection of works - although Ritorno is a beautiful piece, for me it's the least interesting of them. Points is one of my very favourite Berio pieces. (It's also contained within Concerto II - Echoing Curves which is a more extended piece with full orchestra, that's well worth hearing too.)

It's become clear to me the influence of Berio on Boulez (and perhaps vice versa). I am pleased to have discovered these works - I know I'll want to return to them and explore more Berio… at some point I'd like to learn the guitar Sequenza.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                It's become clear to me the influence of Berio on Boulez (and perhaps vice versa). I am pleased to have discovered these works - I know I'll want to return to them and explore more Berio… at some point I'd like to learn the guitar Sequenza.
                                That's one of the more interesting ones I think (there's also Chemins V which adds a chamber orchestra to it, very nice). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6_rynz9FN0 Some other works I particularly like: Coro, Concerto for two pianos, Sinfonia of course, all the others in the Chemins series...

Comment

Working...
                                X