“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Haydn: Symphony No 96

[interval]

Bruckner: Symphony No 4

Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam
      Bernard Haitink
      One of my favourite "mainstream" Bruckner cycles (not Andreae or Venzago..., never mind Kna!)...I've put this in my Qobuz-Hearted for later attention.
      I loved it for its lean-ness and swiftness back in the day - and more recently, for 6 and 7 (that earlier 7th was the BaL choice just a few years ago).
      Haitink gets Straight to the heart of it. Always preferred it to the later VPO or RCOA readings..

I just noticed the new set has the Original Jacket packaging, so very temptingly nostalgic of those LPs I once borrowed.....trouble is I still have 6 and 7 (Philips Duo), there may be others lurking here somewhere, and I wouldn't play 5 or 9 (overplay-moratorium), so...
      They do sound very good on a quick dip... OK! Streaming it is!
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-03-19, 23:07.

Comment

Haydn - symphony no. 95 in C minor

❤️ Join us on our WhatsApps fanpage (our preview releases): https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va8GWC7ICVfrh2QjcM3yFranz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) - The ‘’L...

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          One of my favourite "mainstream" Bruckner cycles (not Andreae or Venzago..., never mind Kna!)...I've put this in my Qobuz-Hearted for later attention.
          I loved it for its lean-ness and swiftness back in the day - and more recently, for 6 and 7 (that earlier 7th was the BaL choice just a few years ago).
          Haitink gets Straight to the heart of it. Always preferred it to the later VPO or RCOA readings..

I just noticed the new set has the Original Jacket packaging, so very temptingly nostalgic of those LPs I once borrowed.....trouble is I still have 6 and 7 (Philips Duo), there may be others lurking here somewhere, and I wouldn't play 5 or 9 (overplay-moratorium), so...
          They do sound very good on a quick dip... OK! Streaming it is!
          The 'original jacket' packaging, particularly of the companion Mahler set, induces overwhelming nostalgia in me. Takes me back to buying the LPs or, in the case of the Bruckner '0' borrowing from the local library (along with the 1951 Knappertsbusch Parsifal, I recall, circa 1974).
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Stravinsky
            Chant Funèbre (Funeral Song)
            L'Oiseau de feu (The Firebird) Suite 1919
            Shostakovich
            Symphony No. 12 ‘The Year 1917’
            ORF Radio-Symphonieorchester Wien / Cornelius Meister
            Recorded Live, 15 February 2018 (Stravinsky); 2017 (Shostakovich), Wiener Konzerthaus, Austria
            Capriccio - new release

Rodion Shchedrin
            ‘The Sealed Angel’ a Russian liturgy for soloists, two boys voices, mixed chorus a-cappella and flute
            Inese Romancane (soprano), Zane Zilberte (mezzo-soprano), Jurgis Liepnieks (tenor) Boys voices: Patriks Stepe (soprano) and Matiss Circenis (alto), Dita Krenberga (flute),
            Latvian State Choir/Masis Sirmais
            Recorded Live 2009 Great Basilica, Kloster Eberbach, nr. Weisbaden, Germany
            Wergo

Comment

Pollini/Abbado The Complete DG Recordings
              Piano Concertos Nos.1-5; Fantasy for Piano, Chorus & Orchestra, Op.80
              Maurizio Pollini
              Berliner Philharmoniker
              Claudio Abbado.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Sibelius Symphony No.6; No.5. Orchestre de Paris/Paavo Järvi. Sony 24/96 New Release, Qobuz Studio Stream.

The 6th goes better for me than the 3rd or 4th in the set. Bright-eyed and keenly-observed first movement, building beautifully to the climax, phrasing and dynamics very subtly graded, perhaps just a little over-manicured. Similarly with the middle two (cf. the ending of the allegretto, too expressively drawn-out), but the finale is a touch slower and more thoughtful than usual, less frantic in the allegro than many; a Berglundian pace which I tend to prefer. So… darker at the close, less beatific or serene; how beautifully the Parisians sing their Palestinian chant.
                Absorbing reading which I played twice…..

If Sibelius 6th were the last music you heard on Earth, that would be…. alright really, wouldn’t it?

With the 5th you get the typical Paavo-J upsides: well-defined clarity of line, inner parts, wind solos; finely managed transitions through part one; a good blaze of brasses at the end of Parts One and Three. No fudge or approximation. (In the andante, the powerful brass began to remind me, beneficially, of Estonia…)
                But I missed some longer-term tensions, some light and shade (particularly shade); the music seemed “all on the surface”, lacking atmosphere or mystery. Still, quite enjoyable as a one-off….
                (Andrew Mellor’s general comment: “Very little is substandard; nothing is library choice, the playing is bold and the lack of interpretative baggage can be refreshing......distinctly less Nordic in feel"...came to mind again).

Comment

Brahms
                  Ein deutsches Requiem
                  Margaret Price, Samuel Ramey, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Andre Previn

Rec. 1987 apex

Wonderful recording

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    Brahms
                    Ein deutsches Requiem
                    Rec. 1987 apex
                    Wonderful recording
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Wagner: Overture - Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
                      Mahler: Symphony No 7

Bernard Haitink

Mahler himself conducted this programme with the Concertgebouw on October 7 1909.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Wagner: Overture - Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
                        Mahler: Symphony No 7

Bernard Haitink

Mahler himself conducted this programme with the Concertgebouw on October 7 1909.
                        That looks quite an attractive programme Pet!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          Brahms
                          Ein deutsches Requiem

Rec. 1987 apex

Wonderful recording
                          Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Bought as a tribute/in memoriam and listened to earlier in the week.
                          I also bought the Klemperer, which I used to have on LP and thought I had on CD, but haven't listened to that yet.

This morning, before BaL:
                          JSB Trio sonatas BVW 525–530
                          Peter Hurford

Comment

Anything but [sorry...] again and again BERLIOZ!

Comment

Anything by [not sorry in the least ...] again and again BERLIOZ!

Comment

Tippett: SQ4 and SQ5
                                Lindsay Quartet
                                With their original couplings (Britten SQ3, Recreation of concert at which Tippett SQ5 was premiered).

Heath Quartet versions perhaps tomorrow.
                                I feel more expense coming on (and I blame Richard B, ); I probably need the scores too (only have the first three!).

PS: Scores ordered!
                                Last edited by Pulcinella; 09-03-19, 15:45. Reason: PS added!

Comment

Working...
                                X