• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of completions......

Last night
    Elgar/Payne
    Symphony 3
    BBCSO/Andrew Davis

In memory of Payne, but I remain unconvinced.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Last night
      Elgar/Payne
      Symphony 3
      BBCSO/Andrew Davis

How appropriate.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Messiaen: Quartet for the end of time
        Michael Collins (clarinet)
        Isabelle van Keulen (violin)
        Paul Watkins (cello)
        Lars Vogt (piano)

BBC Proms, 20 July 1999
        A BBC MM CD (Volume 27, number 2)

After having had my second jab yesterday, I thought that I'd be playing something bright and cheerful this morning, but somehow this seemed to suit my contemplative mood better.

Comment

Last night
          Elgar/Payne
          Symphony 3
          BBCSO/Andrew Davis

I agree Pulc, Pet and RB. I always think of it as the Payne Symphony inspired by Elgar. In no way should it have the status earned by two superbly brilliant, fantasmagoriphically wonderful symphonies written, published and conducted by the master in his lifetime.

Comment

Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsodies - Maltempo

Recently downloaded for a pittance (more than just the Rhapsodies). Aside from one or two, I've never listened to Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies before, would you believe.

I wish the notes told you who the various pianists playing are and what they're playing on this set.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsodies - Maltempo

Recently downloaded for a pittance (more than just the Rhapsodies). Aside from one or two, I've never listened to Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies before, would you believe.

I wish the notes told you who the various pianists playing are and what they're playing on this set.
              Is this what you're looking for?

Liszt: The Great Piano Works. Brilliant Classics: 95564. Buy download online. Vincenzo Maltempo, Enrico Pace, Philipp Kopachevsky, Mariangela Vacatello, Goran Filipec, Jean Dubé, Klara Würtz, Mischa Dacic, Irene Russo, Vanessa Benelli Mosell, François Dumont, Mark Viner, Michele Campanella, Nelson Freire (piano)

Contents/players listed.
              Not ideal, but you could perhaps contrive your own list somehow.

Comment

Comment

Is this what you're looking for?

Liszt: The Great Piano Works. Brilliant Classics: 95564. Buy download online. Vincenzo Maltempo, Enrico Pace, Philipp Kopachevsky, Mariangela Vacatello, Goran Filipec, Jean Dubé, Klara Würtz, Mischa Dacic, Irene Russo, Vanessa Benelli Mosell, François Dumont, Mark Viner, Michele Campanella, Nelson Freire (piano)

Contents/players listed.
                  I made a point of saving that page. After all, the offer will not last forever. I thought the booklet pdf distinctly lacking. Just the essay and no listing. Have those who have listened to this set (I have only just downloaded it) heard any instruments used which were clearly from the 19th century?

Comment

Catharticized (Is that a word? I feared that it would be auto-corrected to catheterized!) by the Messiaen, something a little brighter:

Heifetz playing three violin concertos

Sibelius (Chicago SO/Hendl)
                    Prokofiev 2 (Boston SO/Munch)
                    Glazunov (RCA SO/Hendl)

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      I thought the booklet pdf distinctly lacking. Just the essay and no listing.
                      My complaint exactly.

Have those who have listened to this set (I have only just downloaded it) heard any instruments used which were clearly from the 19th century?
                      I've listened thus far to the first of the two Legends and the first Hungarian Rhapsody. It doesn't sound like it's a 19th Century piano - or at least, not like the piano in Daniel Grimwood's recording of the Years of Pilgrimage. But this doesn't bother me much if at all, personally.

Comment

Stravinsky - Mavra - Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra/Rozhdestvensky

Comment

Now playing: Guillaume de Machaut, Messe de Nostre Dame, a 2010 release by Ensemble Musica Nova (on Aeon, a label better known for contemporary music). There are (deservedly) so many recordings now of this magnificent and ground-breaking work that I'd missed out on this one, which incorporates some fascinating and original research (documented in the liner notes) on almost every aspect of the work, which together with the ensemble's beautiful singing style, at the same time full-throated (but not exaggeratedly so, as in some other recent recordings) and intensely precise, with three voices on the top part and two each on the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            Now playing: Guillaume de Machaut, Messe de Nostre Dame, a 2010 release by Ensemble Musica Nova (on Aeon, a label better known for contemporary music). There are (deservedly) so many recordings now of this magnificent and ground-breaking work that I'd missed out on this one, which incorporates some fascinating and original research (documented in the liner notes) on almost every aspect of the work, which together with the ensemble's beautiful singing style, at the same time full-throated (but not exaggeratedly so, as in some other recent recordings) and intensely precise, with three voices on the top part and two each on the others.
                            I have tried to find that on QOBUZ, without success. Do you, perhaps, have a link you could offer?
                            Last edited by Bryn; 02-05-21, 22:14.

Comment

I have tried to find that on QOBUZ, without success. Do you, perhaps, have a link you could offer?
                              It's a bit difficult for me to do Qobuz links but the title of the CD is "In Memoriam Guillaume de Machaut", that ought to find it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                It's a bit difficult for me to do Qobuz links but the title of the CD is "In Memoriam Guillaume de Machaut", that ought to find it for you.
                                Thanks. Hit the nail squarely on the head.

Comment

Working...
                                X