X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... there was a thtead on'bizarre' covers -

https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/pl...ghlight=covers
    Thanks, enjoyed looking back through those.

Comment

... not forgetting -

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... not forgetting -

Thanks again, lots of old friends there!

Comment

Rossini 'Elisabetta regina d’Inghilterra'
          Opera in 2 acts (prem. Naples 1815)
          Jennifer Larmore (Queen Elisabetta), Bruce Ford (Leicester), Majella Cullagh (Matilde),
          Antonino Siragusa (Norfolk), Manuela Custer (Enrico), Colin Lee (Guglielmo)

Geoffrey Mitchell Choir,
          London Philharmonic Orchestra / Giuliano Carella (conductor)
          Recorded 2002 St. Clement's Church, London
          Opera Rara, 3 CDs

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Another clue then!

There are two more 'Suffolk' composers you've not mentioned, but not in either Snape or Aldeburgh.....in fact they both lived in the same house!
            Oh dear, half of that couple flickered crossed.my consciousness only to be dismissed without due diligence . Full marks to Sir Velo for riding across the quiet roads of Suffolk and putting the matter to bed.

A well composed question , Roger!

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Oh dear, half of that couple flickered crossed.my consciousness only to be dismissed without due diligence . Full marks to Sir Velo for riding across the quiet roads of Suffolk and putting the matter to bed.

A well composed question , Roger!

Ed
              Yes Ed. Well done Sir Velo......my own Pashley would be more use on the gently undulating Suffolk byways than the challenging ups and downs on the Herefordshire border country herebouts!

Comment

For me, it's the 'seventies covers that date more than others. The Leinsdorf Mahler First on 'Phase Four', with the long-haired grl in the nightie and the white (is it?) horse, is more redolent of The Moody Blues and Procul Harum than Mahler. I prefer the 1950s 'generic ' designs used by HMV, Columbia and Decca with a 'corporate' background over which the disc details were printed, but I think my favourites were Eclipse with the photos of National Trust properties, and rthe Oiseau-Lyre OLS series with 18th-century flower prints. Very collectable (though now I think ,they were both 'seventies' ideas!). Thanks for the links, and the memories

Comment

Verdi 'Un ballo in Maschera' opera in three acts
                  Riccardo - Carlo Bergonzi (tenor), Renato - Robert Merrill (baritone),
                  Amelia - Leontyne Price (soprano), Ulrica - Shirley Verrett (mezzo),
                  Oscar - Reri Grist (soprano), Silvano - Mario Basioli (baritone),
                  Samuel - Ezio Flagello (bass), Tom - Ferruccio Mazzoli (bass)
                  RCA Italiana Chorus & Opera Orchestra / Erich Leinsdorf
                  Recorded 1966, RCA Italiana Studios, Rome
                  Orig. RCA, remastered & reissued
                  on Sony, 2 CD set

Comment

Shostakovich : Symphony no.11. The Houston Symphony Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski.

This symphony received three recordings, in France, Russia and America when it was quite new. Yet it had a poor critical reputation . I've been pleased to see it has since become more respected, for instance in the fine performance atthe 2019 Proms by the BBC Philharmonic.

Comment

Frederica von Stade ‘French Opera Arias’
                      Arias by Berlioz, Massenet, Thomas, Meyerbeer, Gounod & Offenbach
                      Frederica Von Stade (mezzo soprano)
                      London Philharmonic Orchestra / John Pritchard
                      Recorded 1976 Henry Wood Hall, London
                      Sony

Georg Frideric Handel
                      Complete Violin Sonatas
                      Bojan Čičić (baroque violin) & Steven Devine (harpsichord)
                      Recorded 2023 St Martin’s Church, East Woodhay, Hampshire, England
                      Delphian, new CD

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        Shostakovich : Symphony no.11. The Houston Symphony Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski.

This symphony received three recordings, in France, Russia and America when it was quite new. Yet it had a poor critical reputation . I've been pleased to see it has since become more respected, for instance in the fine performance atthe 2019 Proms by the BBC Philharmonic.
                        That was my only recording for years, but I haven’t heard it recently, as you noted that there have been a spate of newer ones. I also have the Cluytens

Comment

Yes, I like the Cluytens. I think Testament did a splendid job on the stereo tape.

Three lesser-known string quartets:

Priaulx Rainier, her only quartet, played by the Amadeus.
                          Bernard van Dieren. Quartet no. 5. The Allegri Quartet.
                          Otto Klemperer: quartet no. 5. The Winterthur quartet.

These were all downloads. very few commercial discs have ever been issued of these composers' works.

Comment

(Yesterday late evening)

KS Sorabji - Le Jardin Parfumé - Poem for Piano
                            Djami - Nocturne for Piano
                            Gulistan (The Rose Garden) - Nocturne for Piano

Michael Habermann (Piano)
                            Naxos 8.571364 (disc 2 of a 3CD set)
                            The booklet contains valuable information about this composer and the works played. His works deserve to be better-known, but I understand why so few pianists are willing to take them on. Maybe university music departments who give free concerts could find a pianist able and willing to play one or more of Sorabji's shorter works? I assume that the severe restrictions on who was allowed to play the music have gone since the composer's death.

Comment

Verdi – ‘Rigoletto’
                              Piero Cappuccilli (Rigoletto), Ileana Cotrubas (Gilda), Plácido Domingo (Il Duca), Nicolai Ghiaurov (Sparafucile),
                              Elena Obraztsova (Maddalena), Hanna Schwarz (Giovanna), Kurt Moll (Monterone), Luigi de Corato (Marullo),
                              Walter Gullino (Borsa), Dirk Sagemuller (Conte di Ceprano), Olive Fredricks (Contessa di Ceprano)

Wiener Staatsoper,
                              Wiener Philharmoniker / Carlo Maria Giulini
                              Recorded 1979, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien
                              Deutsche Grammophon (The Originals series of Legendary Recordings) 2 CDs

Comment

Sorabji: Toccata Terza

Composer Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji
                                Artist Abel Sánchez-Aguilera piano
                                Format 2 CD / Download mp3
                                Cat. number PCL10304
                                EAN code 5029365103046
                                Release April 2024
                                Piano Classics is a label of Brilliant Classics​

Just bought this. The fourth Piano Classics volume of Sorabji works.
                                I don't think Sorabji has ever been Composer of the Week or played at the Proms. I live in hope!

Comment

Working...
                                X