Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Which is why Interpretations on Record was such a fascinating programme in the past - not only did you get an expert talking head but lots of different illustrations.
    That was a wonderful high-quality, thought-provoking and thoroughly educational and enjoyable series, wasn't it Bariollians

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

How did it differ from Building a Library (genuine question - I never heard Interpretations on Record)?

It seems to me that the two programmes, BaL and DM, were/are/have been - in concept, if not always in realisation - equally detailed, in-depth examinations: the one of the artistic interpretation and recording of a composition, the other focusing on the musicological detail. CD Review will be the last refuge of such programming on R3.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

well my tuppence is on CD Review becoming a chart show ....
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          well my tuppence is on CD Review becoming a chart show ....
          I wondered about that a few of weeks ago when Andrew MacGregor and David Fanning were some reviewing new recordings of Shostakovich String Quartets. DF made it fairly clear that he wasn't impressed and kept referring back to the first Borodin Quartet recordings (available on Chandos) but AM seemed very eager to say nice things about the new recordings (it seemed a bit odd at the time).

(Apologies for going off topic.)

Comment

• johnb
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            How did it differ from Building a Library (genuine question - I never heard Interpretations on Record)?

It seems to me that the two programmes, BaL and DM, were/are/have been - in concept, if not always in realisation - equally detailed, in-depth examinations: the one of the artistic interpretation and recording of a composition, the other focusing on the musicological detail. CD Review will be the last refuge of such programming on R3.
            I think the crucial difference is that BAL is a process of whittling down a list of recordings to arrive at a single 'winner'. This means the reviewer has to discard what might be very good (even outstanding) recordings because of, say, a fluff, a slightly non-mainstream reading, a particular passage, etc, etc. Necessary in view of the task at hand but, IMO, a traversty of what music should be about.

Interpretations on Record was able to take a much more rounded view.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              That was a wonderful high-quality, thought-provoking and thoroughly educational and enjoyable series, wasn't it Bariollians
              Absolutely - the Mahler 6 programme was a highlight .

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

A little more information in reply to my enquiry to the programme:

Discovering Music will be moving to enhance our Monday to Friday 'Live
                in Concert' live music broadcasts. Each week, in a concert interval,
                Stephen Johnson will introduce listeners to a work from the second half
                of the concert.

The dates will be more flexible than our current weekly slot, but here
                are the first 4 transmission dates:

15th Sept Duruflé: Requiem
                23rd Sept Elgar: Caractacus
                27th Sept Liszt: Piano Sonata in B minor
                3rd Oct Beethoven: Grosse Fuge

Well ... it will be interesting to see how much - and what - can be said about the Grosse Fuge (as one example) in 20 minutes. I believe DM was always 45 (?) minutes long, even without the following performance.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  A little more information in reply to my enquiry to the programme:

Discovering Music will be moving to enhance our Monday to Friday 'Live
                  in Concert' live music broadcasts. Each week, in a concert interval,
                  Stephen Johnson will introduce listeners to a work from the second half
                  of the concert.

The dates will be more flexible than our current weekly slot, but here
                  are the first 4 transmission dates:

15th Sept Duruflé: Requiem
                  23rd Sept Elgar: Caractacus
                  27th Sept Liszt: Piano Sonata in B minor
                  3rd Oct Beethoven: Grosse Fuge

Well ... it will be interesting to see how much - and what - can be said about the Grosse Fuge (as one example) in 20 minutes. I believe DM was always 45 (?) minutes long, even without the following performance.
                  A awful lot more than can be said about the Liszt Piano Sonata in that time!

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Liszt Piano sonata! One of my favourites! (from the channel 4 testcard, of course.) JUst 1 mvt and half an hour.

I always fancied having a bash at discovering Music. Well, that won't happen now.

Another thing about the show, it even featured composers talking about their music and other peoples! eg. Maxwell Davies 8 songs for a Mad King, Alwynne Pritchard, George Benjamin.

Can't imagine they are going to do this sort of stuff in a 20 minute interval!

3VS

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Radio 3. Aka Classic FM-lite.

Comment

Working...
                      X