Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

[QUOTE=ardcarp;896230]I think many views expressed above, including mine, boil down to the fact that music competitions are impossible to judge at this level. The judges have to pick a winner however. It’s their job. In Cass Ardcarp we really don’t like the competitive side of music, but we’re nonetheless fascinated by this year’s BBCYM. We wish all the competitors a great future in the world of music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
        We were very appreciative of the flautist for the reasons you state.

I (we) aren't familiar with the Walton concerto, but it didn't hold our interest (I should give it another chance). Having no great insight into playing the viola, I wondered whether it limited appreciation of the competitors skill and expressive capability - except that I suppose we are expected to trust in the superior powers of the judges to have that insight.

The percussionist displayed great skill but inevitably, as long as it is well done, its quite a spectacle, so does that assist the competitor to succeed in winning?

All in all, it seems to me to be very difficult to choose one competitor above others in such different instruments, where there is such a strong field of players in the final.
        The viola player had the advantage of playing the only finalist concerto which is , IMV , a masterpiece. Even the Chopin has its flaws and the rest were pretty standard fare .

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Totally agree on the merits of the Walton. To your list I would add Kennedy/Previn as undoubtedly worth a listen.

As I was typing up my list, I had to go back and check that I hadn't misfiled that CD, as I thought I had it, but maybe in the olden days, on another medium.
          I'll have to hope I can stream it instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            I seem to be the only one who, from among the brilliant finalists, plumped for the flautist. Her stage presence was ‘contained’ but her musicality and command of the instrument was exceptional IMHO.
            Finally finished watching this sequence of programmes.

We always thought it was difficult, if not impossible, to judge, with different instruments, different pieces. The prizes for the competitors who didn't quite make it to the finals seemed very well deserved.

Some of the comments about what judges are/were looking for - not just this year - but in previous years also - seem crazy. I expected the flute player to come up with a very good performance - which she almost did - but I can't think of any flute concerto which is really going to raise excitement - one of the aspects mentioned.

The viola player was very accomplished, though perhaps I'd have preferred to hear another concerto -Bartók 's perhaps - even though not quite finished. I can believe that his tone was beautiful, though couldn't tell via the TV sound.

The pianist was amazing - a phenomenal achievement managing to get that performance together.

The trumpet concerto just didn't do it for me, though the playing was very good. I hope the player goes far - he has much more to offer.

Finally - the percussion concerto just seemed like a lot of noise - though I have enjoyed some of Jennifer Higden's works before.
            Very athletic and a spectacle - but is it good music?

We seem to be in a percussion mood - with two percussion winners in a couple of years.

I wish all the finalists well, and hope we hear some of them again, as well as some of the very fine musicians who didn't get to the final.

Comment

Mention of the piano player above reminds me of something I noticed before and after his concerto slot. The woman who was responsible for getting him onto the platform seemed rather insensitive as to how best to achieve it - possibly hadn't had a chance to discuss best or preferred ways and means - and gave the impression of towing him in, albeit with smiles and talk, and plonking him(with a sigh of relief?) at the piano. By contrast at the end of the concerto Ryan Wigglesworth moved swiftly and smoothly to Ethan's side, placed an elbow where it needed to be and guided him out to take his bow; it all looked perfectly natural and indeed normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                The pianist was amazing - a phenomenal achievement managing to get that performance together.

I had the good fortune to hear Ethan live 2 or 3 years ago at close quarters at a recital in the concert space at Steinways (just off Wigmore Street) which was the prize for a Scottish schools piano competition, to which I was invited because the son of one of my oldest friends was also a prize-winner/recitalist. It was phenomenal (if I may borrow your word) to witness and hear (though my ears were biased towards the playing of the person I’d known since a wee bairn… )
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

A timely reminder perhaps of past winners and concerns for the future in today's Sunday Times:

Comment

There IS! he's 65 and still performing. Had CFP LP of his Liszt B minor back in the day. https://bernard-dascoli.com/en/bernard-dascoli-english/

Comment

Working...
                    X