Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
    I see that Amazon is offering all Schubert's songs suitable for baritone, with Fischer-Dieskau and Moore, for £33.99 - 21 CDs. Might be a decent alternative if the promised/threatened R3 Schubert marathon turns out to be hijacked by the witterers ..... A pity, though, that the texts are not included, but have to be retrieved from the web:

All sung texts and translations in German, English and French are available through a web-link, details of which are found within the accompanying printed 36-page booklet. The booklet includes full track lists and an alphabetical index of titles

36 pages and no song-texts? What on earth have they filled it with? (Oh yes, I forgot, probably translations of a 2-page introduction into all the languages of the EU.)
    For those who want to have the songtexts: Hyperion has put all the texts of the songs together in a quite luxurious book, which quite regularly features in their Please, somebody's buy me site for a tenner (incl. p&p). Keep an eye on it, it will appear there.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Roehre. One splendid feature of the Hyperion site is that on their web-page detailing all the Schubert songs by Deutsch number (http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDS44201/40), you can click for the German text and English translation, side by side, of every song. What's more, on this page, under 'Alphabetical listing of all musical works', clicking on each song brings up a fairly detailed note on each song by Graham Johnson.

I have a book by Fischer-Dieskau called Texte deutscher Lieder: ein Handbuch, which gives the texts of about 600 German songs, including over a hundred by Schubert (in German only, of course), and another book by him called Auf den Spuren der Schubert-Lieder ('On the track of Schubert's songs'). Not just a pretty voice!

Comment

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
        Thanks for the tip, Roehre. One splendid feature of the Hyperion site is that on their web-page detailing all the Schubert songs by Deutsch number (http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDS44201/40), you can click for the German text and English translation, side by side, of every song. What's more, on this page, under 'Alphabetical listing of all musical works', clicking on each song brings up a fairly detailed note on each song by Graham Johnson.

I have a book by Fischer-Dieskau called Texte deutscher Lieder: ein Handbuch, which gives the texts of about 600 German songs, including over a hundred by Schubert (in German only, of course), and another book by him called Auf den Spuren der Schubert-Lieder ('On the track of Schubert's songs'). Not just a pretty voice!
        JFLL, I've got those DFD books as well. Though I myself am not a real Lieder-admirer, these books are among the most used ones in my library.

Not just a pretty voice!
        No, and have you ever listened to his Schubert-, Schumann-, and Brahms-recordings of their symphonies?
        Very revelatory I have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          ....have you ever listened to his [Fischer-Dieskau's] Schubert-, Schumann-, and Brahms-recordings of their symphonies?
          Very revelatory I have to say.
          I'm sorry to say I haven't, Roehre, but I can imagine that they must be as thoughtful as his Lieder interpretations. I think he has a son who is a conductor and another who is a cellist.

Comment

quite a lot of detail here about what will be played when
            The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...-schubert.html
              Including a straightforward lie:
              As the biggest commissioner of new music BBC Radio 3 is to commission leading Schubert authority Brian Newbould to complete Symphony D, D.708a. This will be the first time he has attempted to complete this work (having previously finished the Unfinished Symphony amongst others).

Newbould made a performing edition of this work in the late 1970s.
              However: Completing this work might mean he put a recapitulation and coda to the end of the 1st and last mvts, as well as a kind of extension to the slow mvt. (The scherzo only needed some additional orchestration).

And in the context of Schubert this IMO is risible: As the biggest commissioner of new music

Comment

The trailers for this unimaginative wall-to-wall programming is out in full force. The sickly tones of the advertisement during CD Review this morning exceeded any yukkiness that Radio 3 has managed before. I wasn't sure whether it was a 1960's advert for Daz or Omo, or whether it was Oil of Ulay, such were the sickly and suggestive dulcet tones of the announcer.

I just take any more.

Comment

I caught a glimpse of the schedule and have now heard the advertising. I was expecting the week to be bad but I now expect it to be awful. The radio will be turned off at the start and it will remain off until the end. Recordings of Through the Night (currently being stockpiled) will cover the hiatus. On its own the idea of playing only the music of one composer for more than a week is pretty barmy. Add to it the new dumbed down style of presentation which is starting to pervade and it is a recipe for insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
                    I caught a glimpse of the schedule and have now heard the advertising. I was expecting the week to be bad but I now expect it to be awful. The radio will be turned off at the start and it will remain off until the end. Recordings of Through the Night (currently being stockpiled) will cover the hiatus. On its own the idea of playing only the music of one composer for more than a week is pretty barmy. Add to it the new dumbed down style of presentation which is starting to pervade and it is a recipe for insanity.
                    Oh, go on ....give Radio 4 a try, even it's only for Just A Minute (boom! boom!)

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                      Oh, go on ....give Radio 4 a try, even it's only for Just A Minute (boom! boom!)

I am an avid listener to Bells on Sunday but I worry if I listen too much to Radio 4 I could eventually end up hearing John Humphrys and, for me, that would be to enter Room 101.

Comment

I won't be adopting quite such an extreme approach, but just looking through the schedule, my stomach heaved to see each evening 2 - 3 hours of "Schubert Requests and Dedications"....

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I caught a glimpse of the schedule
                          One problem is that much of the schedule is lacking in sufficient detail to enable one to choose when to listen. Many programmes give no indication of content. Some that do show some content have no indication of order or timing. Without basic information about what is being played when I do not feel inclined to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                            One problem is that much of the schedule is lacking in sufficient detail to enable one to choose when to listen. Many programmes give no indication of content. Some that do show some content have no indication of order or timing. Without basic information about what is being played when I do not feel inclined to participate.
                            Like this one for Breakfast Monday March 26th:

Petroc Trelawny presents Radio 3's Breakfast Show celebrating The Spirit of Schubert including between 8.00 and 8.30 the world premiere of Brian Newbould's completion of Schubert's Minuet and Trio D2f.

I'd be very interested, but this simply is too much to ask for at most 4 minutes of music.

Comment

Maybe I'll get more housework, TV watching, catching up with my CDs etc done. It takes a lot to kill my love of Schubert's music but this sounds dire.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...-schubert.html
                                I've just glanced through this schedule. I will probably tune in to the Lieder sessions, especially if Graham Johnson is in charge, although I do usually prefer Lieder (and chansons for that matter) done by native speakers and they all seem to be English speakers. It is good to see quite a few younger singers being given chance to show what they can do and it will be interesting to see how they get on.

Comment

Working...
                                X