Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like, if I may, to raise at this point a
    Schubertvorschaugrundschweinereivereingesellschaft erversammlungstagesordnungspunkt.
    By the way, I see that Sunday morning's offerings include, post-Schubertathon, arrangements of pieces by Schubert. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water....

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
      Schubertvorschaugrundschweinereivereingesellschaft erversammlungstagesordnungspunkt

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... think of the film - "Groundhog Day"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_(film)
        Thanks everybody. Never saw that film.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          But Grundschwein oder Grundsau are much funnier than Waldmurmeltier.
          Oh, I don't know, Waldmurmeltier 'forest murmur animal' is rather amusing (but I see the real etymology of murmel- here is from Latin murem montis 'mountain mouse' – even nicer.)

Didn't Schubert write a fine song, Das Waldmurmeltier (or was it a short story by Kafka) ?

Comment

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
            Oh, I don't know, Waldmurmeltier 'forest murmur animal' is rather amusing[...]Didn't Schubert write a fine song, Das Waldmurmeltier (or was it a short story by Kafka) ?
            Surely this was Bruennhilde's endearment to Siegrfried as they woke up on the rock?

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
              Schubertvorschaugrundschweinereivereingesellschaft erversammlungstagesordnungspunkt.
              Bless you!!

*Passes tissue emoticon*
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Melvin Tan at Finchcocks on at the moment - interesting.

Comment

Surely this was Bruennhilde's endearment to Siegrfried as they woke up on the rock?
                  Funnily enough, 'Forest Murmurs' is Waldesrauschen in German (no, I didn't know either until recently)., though what the difference is between rauschen and murmeln I couldn't say offhand. I'll have to ask the German half of this household when she's back from buying simnel cake (at exoooorbitant cost, no doubt) from Fortnums.

Comment

Funnily enough, 'Forest Murmurs' is Waldesrauschen in German (no, I didn't know either until recently)., though what the difference is between rauschen and murmeln I couldn't say offhand. I'll have to ask the German half of this household when she's back from buying simnel cake (at exoooorbitant cost, no doubt) from Fortnums.
                    You try growing sufficient simnels for a cake at this time of year

Comment

One could translate 'rauschen' as 'rustle' (especially in a forest) and 'murmeln' as 'murmur' (as in 'the murmur of innumerable bees'). However, in medicine 'Geräusch' is the normal word for 'murmur'.

Comment

Does anyone know if Richard Burnett is still at Finchcocks [his home I believe] and entertaining people as he did years ago? A wonderful musician, I'll never forget him playing Mozart's 'Turkish Rondo' on a 'prepared piano.'

Comment

from Fortnums.
                          Cor luvverduck! No slummin' rand 'ere eh?

Comment

simnel cake (at exoooorbitant cost, no doubt) from Fortnums
                            No Fortnums simnel cake or Grundschwein in this household - more like a (cold) Greggs pasty, if we're lucky

I'm rather sorry that simnel cake does not derive from the pretender Lambert Simnel who may have been the son of a baker. Perhaps someone could devise a 'pretender' simnel cake in his honour, looking like the real simnel on the outside but quite different inside.

By the way, Kafka did write a short story about a 'Riesenmaulwurf', giant mole.

Sorry, all hopelessly OT - rather losing interest in the Grundschwein Schubertathon.

Comment

Only caught one of the songs, but liked what I heard: Spanish mezzo-soprano and BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist, Clara Mouriz.
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

He played two fortepianos - don't remember the name of the first, the second was a Graf - and said that Schubert never had a decent piano (unlike LvB, who was given many), but the Graf was perhaps nearest to a contemporary sound, as I understood him. Having said that it was interesting, I didn't like Tan's performance in the Moments Musicaux.

I was also struck by how used we are to the resonance of the modern grand, which I think emphasises the romantic quality in Schubert's piano works. (Not a very piano-educated opinion, but my own, at least.) The abrupt changes in dynamic are also much more extreme on a modern instrument. I think I've taken it for granted that this is Schubert's sound....

Comment

Working...
                                X