What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Precisely my point - good musicians 'using' the punk tag. If you're going to quote me, include my last sentence which confirms what you say!
    Crass ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Crass ?
      Yes you probably are!

Comment

Yes you probably are!
        No I mean these folk

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

At last someone else who didn't get punk - it was not refreshing it was awful and very poor musically.
          I think I did get punk, within a few minutes

What came out of punk were the musicians who would have made it without the punk tag.
          ...such as Killing Joke, at their best astonishingly potent. Was Jaz Coleman the only truly talented one, though?

Comment

No I mean these folk

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not heard them before (hence my response)- propbably not go out of my way to hear them again but I concede that of their genre they're not bad and quite creative.

Comment

Not heard them before (hence my response)- propbably not go out of my way to hear them again but I concede that of their genre they're not bad and quite creative.
              So, hang on a moment
              that's a bit like me saying
              "I don't like Classical Music, not that i've ever heard any Mozart" ................

Crass are hardly niche punk ? or is it just me ?

Comment

Crass ?
                Stop it!

Comment

They were from down the road from me. Part of the Small Wonder firm, which was in the same road as my school. Ah, those were the days!

Comment

So, hang on a moment
                    that's a bit like me saying
                    "I don't like Classical Music, not that i've ever heard any Mozart" ................

Crass are hardly niche punk ? or is it just me ?

Quite so - I'm sure you'd love Mozart if you heard some - try K452!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                      They were from down the road from me. Part of the Small Wonder firm, which was in the same road as my school. Ah, those were the days!
                      Never mind all that what about Jakko and Fripp - is it anty good?

Comment

Never mind all that what about Jakko and Fripp - is it anty good?
                        Don't dismiss my teenage years like that

Jakko and Fripp is pretty good, but not as good as the cover! listen to a bit here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOxn2GTGa2U

Comment

Labels like "Punk" or "prog rock" are just that..labels, which might loosely connect groups with some core value.
                          The new york punk bands, Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie , Television, were very different to each other. really. Cloughie's point that the good ones would have been successful without punk is probably true..but punk did cause a huge surge of artistic creativity that lasted well beyond 1977....British Ska, post punk, new Romantics ,(and especially in the fashion industry) 80's electro pop to name a few , all had their roots in punk. The DIY ethic, in the pre home computer age, was really important, and very liberating for a lot of people.
                          Often , the creativity is channelled is down to the time you live in. Queen I think are a great example. They could turn their hand to anything they wanted. If they had been 5 years younger, its not impossible that they might have picked up on punk, and been the greatest punk band of them all, before developing their music in the way that,for instance, Elvis Costello did.Just an idle speculation of course !!
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 28-05-12, 08:23.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                            Don't dismiss my teenage years like that

Jakko and Fripp is pretty good, but not as good as the cover! listen to a bit here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOxn2GTGa2U
                            Sounds Ok but I reckon ambient noodling rather than vintage Crimson (whatever that is - choose your own line-up/vintage). Jakko's vocals are good - when I saw him live I was impressed at the way he got into the Greg Lake mould.

Comment

You punk fans can rejoice! Starting this Friday, there is
                              a 3-part series on BBC Four entitled Punk Britannia

The first programme is Pre-Punk 1972-1976, notice how the write-up throws in that cliche "Reacting against overblown super rock of the day...", but at least it also says "...and the glam their younger sisters like on Top of the Pops".

Why don't social factors come into the generalist claims made? It was a decade of economic gloom, double-digit wage increase demands, and strikes galore. Things were so bad that bankrupt Britain went to the IMF with its begging bowl. There was a lot of justifiably disenchanted youth back then with far more important things to rebel against than 15-minute Yes and Pink Floyd songs! You have to laugh when commentators attribute the rise of Punk, in the main, to pre-existing musical rather than social factors.

Comment

Boilk I think you are right about some of the root causes of punk. The "Anti dinosaur " part of it was just the direction that the music took, pre empted as the preview to the BBC series says, but the pub rockers.

Feels sad that the blast of excitement that punk was for many of us, is now just a series of documentaries.
                                Great to see the Feelgoods getting some top billing...I recommend "Oil City Confidential" as a decent watch if you like your R and B /Pub rock.
                                There is no substitute for Wilko on form ! Took Mrs TS to see him for my birthday treat (I know what the girls like !!) and she had never seen anything like it. And as for Norm....he is a nights enterrtainment on his own. Pure bass playing genius !!
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X