What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Proud owner of all three albums! Bought them as they came out. Don't forget the live album 'The Bruford Tapes'

I have quite a few H&TN recordings, but have not replaced my National Health album from vinyl to CD Seen Bruford and Holdsworth live a few times down the years.
    It was the Bruford albums (having been a Yes fan) that launched me into fusion ... subsequently followed the careers of Stewart, Holdsworth and Annette Peacock. Have seen all three live in London doing their own thing too! Also Bruford whilst in KC and Earthworks modes.

Comment

I don't know, but I wish the licensed premises across the road would get air conditioning so they didn't have to open the windows on warm Saturday Evenings. Ah well, at least it's live music with actual musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post

It was the Bruford albums (having been a Yes fan) that launched me into fusion ... subsequently followed the careers of Stewart, Holdsworth and Annette Peacock. Have seen all three live in London doing their own thing too! Also Bruford whilst in KC and Earthworks modes.
        Wow! Bruford in KC, if only I could have been at one of those gigs - I envy you!

And what about the amazing Jamie Muir? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiRJoXLvjPs

Comment

Wow! Bruford in KC, if only I could have been at one of those gigs - I envy you!

And what about the amazing Jamie Muir? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiRJoXLvjPs
          I gather the Yes alumnus learnt (learned?) a lot from Muir - probably covered in BB's recent highly acclaimed autobiography. If you like Bruford and King Crimson, you'll likely adore (as do I) the David Torn album Cloud About Mercury. Quite unlike other fusion of the era, and with Bruford and Levin on board as co-writers/improvisers, that's the more experimental 50% of 1980s KC! I thought the lean-and-disciplined anarchy of KC's 1982 Beat couldn't be topped, then this fusion wildcard came my way...

Comment

I gather the Yes alumnus learnt (learned?) a lot from Muir - probably covered in BB's recent highly acclaimed autobiography. If you like Bruford and King Crimson, you'll likely adore (as do I) the David Torn album Cloud About Mercury. Quite unlike other fusion of the era, and with Bruford and Levin on board as co-writers/improvisers, that's the more experimental 50% of 1980s KC! I thought the lean-and-disciplined anarchy of KC's 1982 Beat couldn't be topped, then this fusion wildcard came my way...

Sounds very interesting - I will check it out. Must be available on youtube(?).

I bought the Bruford autobiography 2/3 years ago, but I am so reverent towards Mr Bruford that I will only open it when I am sure I can give it my total attention and finish it in a maximum of two sittings. I have therefore been unable to read a single sentence to this day!

Comment

I bought the Bruford autobiography 2/3 years ago, but I am so reverent towards Mr Bruford that I will only open it when I am sure I can give it my total attention and finish it in a maximum of two sittings. I have therefore been unable to read a single sentence to this day!
              That's odd. I've been meaning to buy it for a couple of years, but will do so when I have not just the time, but the quality time to sit down and properly enjoy!

Comment

A King Crimson Projekct - A Scarcity Of Miracles. 2011.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  (Prog /country Rock fusion was never a successful genre.. perhaps its time is yet to come)
                  Completely disagree that is was "never a successful genre" - many albums sold in the millions, in both the 70s and 80s. It certainly outsold punk and many post-punk outfits.

One myth perpetrated which really annoys me is when commentators, who ought to know better, say that Punk came along as a backlash to the Prog "dinosaurs" ... utter nonsense! 3-chord punk became near-extinct within a couple of years (quickly morphing into New Wave so we're told), and Prog was too off-the-radar for most punk artists to be able to revolt against (just look at those 1970s episodes of ToTP to see how niche it was). Some of Prog's biggest commercial successes (Yes's Drama and 90125 and Asia's Asia) came along AFTER Punk's heyday, and in the case of those Yes albums, still contained songs far too long for mainstream airplay, so happily not every prog band did a radio-friendly reinvention a la Genesis.

Comment

Boilk, it was the fusion of prog rock and country rock that never took off !! (unless I missed some Gentle Giant album recorded in Nashville !!)

I would never diss prog....my elders and betters at school could never get enough of it, and I have the scars to prove that it is better than punk !!

I do fail to grasp how you can suggest that punk wasn't a reaction to things like prog rock, though, when it quite clearly was,at least in part, and plenty of punks at the time said so.People like me who listened to punk certainly thought it was.
                    The fact that some prog rock was produced after 1977 is surely irrelevant ? As for sales, well some Prog sold well, and so did some punk.
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 27-05-12, 21:29.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Boilk, it was the fusion of prog rock and country rock that never took off !! (unless I missed some Gentle Giant album recorded in Nashville !!)

I would never diss prog....my elders and betters at school could never get enough of it, and I have the scars to prove that it is better than punk !!
                      Apologies, I misread your post!

I do fail to grasp how you can suggest that punk wasn't a reaction to things like prog rock, though, when it quite clearly was, at least in part, and plenty of punks at the time said so. People like me who listened to punk certainly thought it was.
                      I really don't think most punks back then (fans and performers in their late teens/early 20s) were even aware of the contents of Yes / Genesis / King Crimson albums. But they might have been bored to death of the easy listening offered up by the likes of The Carpenters, New Seekers, Three Degrees, Leo Sayer, et.c, pretty unchallenging middle-of-the-road product that populated 90% of Top of the Pops.

The fact that some prog rock was produced after 1977 is surely irrelevant?
                      Not some prog, but most prog. But Punk hardly killed off Prog - what it did do is put more aggression into mainstream pop ... also, listening to the whole Bee Gees / disco phenomenon in the late 70s, you might be forgiven for thinking punk never happened for an entire European and American generation

Comment

Completely disagree that is was "never a successful genre" - many albums sold in the millions, in both the 70s and 80s. It certainly outsold punk and many post-punk outfits.

One myth perpetrated which really annoys me is when commentators, who ought to know better, say that Punk came along as a backlash to the Prog "dinosaurs" ... utter nonsense! 3-chord punk became near-extinct within a couple of years (quickly morphing into New Wave so we're told), and Prog was too off-the-radar for most punk artists to be able to revolt against (just look at those 1970s episodes of ToTP to see how niche it was). Some of Prog's biggest commercial successes (Yes's Drama and 90125 and Asia's Asia) came along AFTER Punk's heyday, and in the case of those Yes albums, still contained songs far too long for mainstream airplay, so happily not every prog band did a radio-friendly reinvention a la Genesis.
                        At last someone else who didn't get punk - it was not refreshing it was awful and very poor musically. What came out of punk were the musicians who would have made it without the punk tag.

Comment

A King Crimson Projekct - A Scarcity Of Miracles. 2011.

[IMG][/IMG]
                          Wow - is it good or is it good and should I buy it? - I saw Jakko fronting Twentyfirst Century Schizoid Band back in 2002 - doing a very good job, alongside former members of King Crimson's early line-ups, playing Fripp's guitar licks and doing Greg Lakes's vocals. An evening to remember forever.

Comment

Manfred Mann - Five Faces of Manfred Mann!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              At last someone else who didn't get punk - it was not refreshing it was awful and very poor musically. .
                              Really ?
                              you might not like the aesthetic but many punk bands were very tight musically speaking
                              the whole "sex pistols" can't play myth was very successful as a marketing tool

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Really ?
                                you might not like the aesthetic but many punk bands were very tight musically speaking
                                the whole "sex pistols" can't play myth was very successful as a marketing tool
                                Precisely my point - good musicians 'using' the punk tag. If you're going to quote me, include my last sentence which confirms what you say!

Comment

Working...
                                X