What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Joy Division 'Closer' the album of my second year at university.

[IMG][/IMG]
    but this ISN'T over rated.
    Passion this intense is a rare commodity indeed.
    Their early music has really stood the test of time.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
      PC's drumming at Genesis gigs ( when he wasn't singing ) was always something to enjoy - especially the duets with Chester Thompson ( I once saw him with Weather Report ) who was equally good, if not better.
      and if I am not very much mistaken, he did a great drumming job on Adam Ant's "Puss in Boots " !!
      he certainly produced, and the drumming is class.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Teamsaint/cloughie

I have only ever played Petsounds through once and didn't feel compelled to take a second listen!!

By all accounts, I'm missing out
        I remember Pet Sounds being released and being one of those LPs (only Americans called them albums then) and for a while it was never off my turntable, and vied with Revolver for needle-time! Here Today was one of my favoured tracks!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Roxy Music - Roxy Music. Island Records, 1972.
          Great musicians but spoiled by Bryan Ferry's voice. He was later guilty of murdering Dylan and his 'As Time Goes By' had super arrangements but what a dreary voice!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Great musicians but spoiled by Bryan Ferry's voice. He was later guilty of murdering Dylan
            Much as I have no time for the Bobster
            I would draw the line at homicide

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

Agreed - Chester Thompson is amazing. I love his performance on Squonk on Seconds Out......
              I remember seeing them at Earls Court on that tour.
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                I remember seeing them at Earls Court on that tour.
                I remember deciding not to go!!!!!!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  .......Incidentally, and its probably not wise to say this, I feel the same about "Whats going on".....
                  Me too!!!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Great musicians but spoiled by Bryan Ferry's voice. He was later guilty of murdering Dylan and his 'As Time Goes By' had super arrangements but what a dreary voice!
                    Ferry's performance on the first two Roxy albums is too amazingly good to be able to be put into words.

His performance on the next two and the Live album are almost as good as the former.

Apart from Desire, I'm happy living without playing as much as note of Dylan's performances.

I think everybody does great covers of Dylan's stuff, including Ferry.

You're opening a can of worms with drawing conclusions about covers!!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Camel - Snow Goose. Decca, 1975.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Boilk
                        • Dec 2010

Are people on this thread not aware of some of the finest jazz/rock/prog fusion ever to hail from these shores, back in the late '70s? Highly intelligent music making, free from the pomposity of, say, Pink Floyd or ELP.

Constantly-shifting time signatures, virtuoso playing and a harmonic/rhythmic palette that left other bands of the day sounding like they need to undertake a foundation course in the mechanics of music...

A large part of the success of these albums was the highly attuned playing of keyboardist Dave Stewart, (I'd also recommend the Hatfield and the North / National Health albums he was on) and stellar guitar playing of Bradford-born Allan Holdsworth.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Ferry's performance on the first two Roxy albums is too amazingly good to be able to be put into words.

His performance on the next two and the Live album are almost as good as the former.

Apart from Desire, I'm happy living without playing as much as note of Dylan's performances.

I think everybody does great covers of Dylan's stuff, including Ferry.

You're opening a can of worms with drawing conclusions about covers!!
                          I get the impression you quite like Mr Ferry then.

Your sweeping statement on Dylan does you no favours - some Dylan covers suck!

The covers topic, generally, is indeed the most fascinating can of worms!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                            Are people on this thread not aware of some of the finest jazz/rock/prog fusion ever to hail from these shores, back in the late '70s? Highly intelligent music making, free from the pomposity of, say, Pink Floyd or ELP.

Constantly-shifting time signatures, virtuoso playing and a harmonic/rhythmic palette that left other bands of the day sounding like they need to undertake a foundation course in the mechanics of music...

A large part of the success of these albums was the highly attuned playing of keyboardist Dave Stewart, (I'd also recommend the Hatfield and the North / National Health albums he was on) and stellar guitar playing of Bradford-born Allan Holdsworth.
                            Proud owner of all three albums! Bought them as they came out. Don't forget the live album 'The Bruford Tapes'

I have quite a few H&TN recordings, but have not replaced my National Health album from vinyl to CD Seen Bruford and Holdsworth live a few times down the years.
                            Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 22:10. Reason: took an 'F' out of one of me Brufords

Comment

• Beef Oven

I get the impression you quite like Mr Ferry then.

Your sweeping statement on Dylan does you no favours - some Dylan covers suck!

The covers topic, generally, is indeed the most fascinating can of worms!
                              I am not that interested in Ferry, I love Roxy(first 5 releases), always have. Didn't buy anything after 'Viva!'

My 'sweeping statemernt' came across wrong! What I meant was, I prefer ANYBODY'S cover of BD to the real BD!!!!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

I am not that interested in Ferry, I love Roxy(first 5 releases), always have. Didn't buy anything after 'Viva!'

My 'sweeping statemernt' came across wrong! What I meant was, I prefer ANYBODY'S cover of BD to the real BD!!!!
                                Don't know if you've heard Ferry's Dylanesque album but to my ears it is quite nasty!

..and if you want another bad example of Dylan covery try Mick Hucknall.

Comment

Working...
                                X