What Rock/Pop/Jazz-rock/Fusion/Prog/Experimental etc album are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott 2. Scott Walker.

Pretty fabulous stuff, really. A fine demonstration of what pop music can be at its best.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Kernow Malc View Post
      I have never listened to a Talking Heads album and not much liked the odd tracks I have heard. Just lately I have been on a kosmische binge with much Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze to the fore.
      I never fell completely in love with TH really, although they were as cool to like in the late 70s as they are now. Not the biggest fan of Byrne
      ’s vocals for one thing , although they are quite individual, and clearly a lot of people enjoy them.
      But you might be swayed by a listen to the whole of Fear of Music. Worth a punt IMO. It is a very good record, and a cultural touchstone, I’d venture to suggest.

Lined up for later: The Correct Use of Soap by Magazine. An absolute highpoint in rock music history, the best album from a very fine band indeed.

Amph was a big fan IIRC It would be nice if he were to return to the board. Not enough folk around who love both Haydn and Magazine
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        I've mentioned this album before, but I recommend Blur's Think Tank, which we had on while I made tea earlier today. I think it really shows the variety of influence in Blur's music, and there is plenty in the textural and timbral departments to enjoy, not to mention some strong song-writing. I think the first two songs are the best, but there's much to enjoy in the remainder of the album too. The second song, 'Out Of Time' was a single and is the best track IMO, it is really beautiful, with verses based around a Phrygian mode, changing to the relative Ionian for the choruses - and the textural aspects are lovely, especially the sounds of a Moroccan orchestra during the guitar solo. Not all the songs are great but the album is definitely worth listening to.

Blur - Out Of Time (Official Music VIdeo) - YouTube

Well I listened to it, and your comments seem pretty spot on . Very strong first three songs, and plenty of interesting stuff after that.I felt it began to lose its way eventually, though I didn’t get to the end as of yet.
        Good recommendation.
        currently, Luminous by Bill Nelson. Good one, this.

Comment

My In-laws gave me the new LP by the Stones for my birthday. I have to say it wasn't something that I would have chosen but I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's definitely Mick's record - he is in fabulous voice throughout. There's a track with Lady Gaga accompanying him - I wouldn't know a Lady Gaga record from a meat dress to be honest, but she sounds fantastic accompanying Mick. It's probably the best I've heard from them since 'Exile on Main Street'. I think my favourite track is 'Whole Wide World'.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGcxTYlg7o

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            My In-laws gave me the new LP by the Stones for my birthday. I have to say it wasn't something that I would have chosen but I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's definitely Mick's record - he is in fabulous voice throughout. There's a track with Lady Gaga accompanying him - I wouldn't know a Lady Gaga record from a meat dress to be honest, but she sounds fantastic accompanying Mick. It's probably the best I've heard from them since 'Exile on Main Street'. I think my favourite track is 'Whole Wide World'.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGcxTYlg7o
            That isn’t going to be a cover of Wreckless Eric’s “Whole Wide World” , is it ?!

I suppose I will have to give at least that one song a spin……

Comment

Just spotted this - sorry it's such short notice:

Kathryn Tickell chats to producer Lu Edmonds about his album Lost in Tajikistan.

I met Lu at Lol Coxhill's funeral some years ago now, and he is a man of much wisdom and wide-ranging musical tastes. I have some free improv of Lol duetting with Lu, and very good it is. I don't know if he still plays the customised bass made (and designed, from memory) by himself: it resembles a latter day version of an antique bed pan - and, like an antique bed pan, it has great p-coustics!

Incidentally I remember Lol saying that with The Damned he just did his "usual stuff", which the band seemed to like, although he had no idea whether he could be hears above the noise, and that the main thing he remembered of the experience was having beer poured over his head!

Comment

Some very early National Health [sic] for other lovers of Canterbury Progrock. I came across this accidentally, I think it's more than worth a listen. That's Amanda parsons singing - not Norma Winstone (though it sounds like her) - who came up with Hatfield & The North, which in turn came out of another intriguing and intriguingly named band around the turn of the 70s, Egg. Make allowances for sonic inadequacies if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jidbJZnTMLw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnwpwzG4ucU

Comment

I have just received news of the death of Martin Davidson, founder and runner of EMANEM Records, indomitable documenter of free jazz and improvised music for more than 40 years, with an initial accent on British artists which increasingly spread its scope worldwide, as did the music. All the news I have is that he had been in hospital following a fall.

Martin's passing leaves a huge gap.

Comment

Programme likely to be of interest this coming Saturday, on Radio 4:

16 Dec - 8pm
                    Archive on 4: Jim Kerr on Jim Morrison

Jim Kerr, the co-founder and lead singer of Simple Minds, describes the impact of poet and singer Jim Morrison from the Doors has had on his personal and professional life, and makes a pilgrimage to Père-Lachaise cemetery in Paris where Morrison is buried. Featuring previously unheard Morrison poetry, studio outtakes and archive interviews with Morrison.

Jim Kerr from Simple Minds describes the impact and influence of The Doors' Jim Morrison.

Comment

The Birds, the Bees and the Monkees.
                      The Monkees.
                      some very interesting songs on here, not least Writing Wrongs.

Comment

This weekend I shall do something I have never knowingly done before. Listen to a complete Queen album.

Ok, they may be just a decent warm up for Alex Harvey in their field, but they deserve their chance.
                        Sheer Heart Attack, I think it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          This weekend I shall do something I have never knowingly done before. Listen to a complete Queen album.

Ok, they may be just a decent warm up for Alex Harvey in their field, but they deserve their chance.
                          Sheer Heart Attack, I think it will be.
                          I trust you had the Zantacs to hand for such a masochistic ordeal?

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            The Birds, the Bees and the Monkees.
                            The Monkees.
                            some very interesting songs on here, not least Writing Wrongs.
                            He wrote some fine songs did the guy with the bobble hat, ts. Thanks for this. I haven't listened to them for ages. I notice it was produced by Davy.

Comment

Annie Nightingale (1940-2024)

R.I.P.

When consumerism took over music culture Annie Nightingale was one of the few DJs who hosted without pretentious posturing. She - unlike myself - remained forever enthusiastic, keeping up to date with new trends and genres right through. Her passing was only announced in the past hour, I expect many tributes to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Annie Nightingale (1940-2024)

R.I.P.

When consumerism took over music culture Annie Nightingale was one of the few DJs who hosted without pretentious posturing. She - unlike myself - remained forever enthusiastic, keeping up to date with new trends and genres right through. Her passing was only announced in the past hour, I expect many tributes to come.

Really sad to hear this news earlier. I think it is true to say that almost nobody ever had a bad word to say about her. She remained very enthusiastic about new music to the end. The Sunday request show was surely a deserved career highlight. It was really enjoyable required listening, with a great connection to her audience with a shared love of music. And she just did radio so well.

Through her broadcasting,her spirit and influence will live on.

She has a special place in music history

Comment

Working...
                                X