What British, commonwealth, or similar 'neglected' composer are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
    How very sad that our jayne has been treated this way, makes me wonder whether I want to remain a member
    What? You need to be around to share the agonies and ecstacies of County’s return to the league on the Round Ball thread!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      What? You need to be around to share the agonies and ecstacies of County’s return to the league on the Round Ball thread!
      Indeed

Comment

There is a great deal of utter nonsense going on in the world. A very great deal.

I’m not sure that we can do much else than stick rigidly to our principles ( battered and bruised though they may well be), plod on day to day in the best way we see and feel fit, and hope and work for better times.

The damage of the last two and a half years is going to take quite a while to work out , and the tolerance required on all our parts to get us through the process of recovery is going to be very great, and it will be hard work. And our political leaders ( not just the govt) unhelpfully set a shameful and divisive example far too often.We need to do better than they do.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

This looks interesting.

Anybody invested in this ? Just listening to the Katherine Stott disc of Frank Bridge piano works including the sonata, and happened upon this set.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            This looks interesting.

Anybody invested in this ? Just listening to the Katherine Stott disc of Frank Bridge piano works including the sonata, and happened upon this set.
            Full list of items and performers here:

Twentieth Century British Piano Sonatas. Heritage: HTGCD407. Buy 4 CDs or download online. Peter Jacobs, John McCabe, Malcolm Binns, Phyllis Sellick, Colin Horsley, Marguerite Woolf, Philip Martin

Comment

I know some, but not all, of those sonatas. Bax 2 is a splendid Lisztian work, probably his finest for the piano; though overshadowed by the Bridge of 1923, considered by some to mark the start of his more radical turn, it is imv in the same league, written earlier around the same time as Tintagel and November Woods, and similarly emotionally charged. The Tippett is in the early, folk-influenced period, and the Bliss a fullsome, quite tough work, showing some influence from Prokofiev. I'll be listening to the other pieces over the next few days, as time allows. Thanks for reproducing these.

Comment

Richard Itter's Lyrita Recorded edition began by issuing LPs of British piano sonatas, and they were my introduction to several of the composers listed here. Most of them have been reissued on CD by Wyastone under licence. Unlike his later recordings thes were actually made by Itter himself at his home so they have recording details. My own favourite here (not a Lyrita choice) is the Lambert, a most original work I got to know in a BBC performance by Philip Challis. This is on YouTube but in a poor transfer which does not do it justice.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I have a number of CDs filed under the composer's name to which I have not listened for a while, so, proceeding alphabetically, am now enjoying William Alwyn's decidedly dramatic 1st Symphony (the Naxos recording).
                  I think it’s a splendid series not only the symphonies ( I think the Fourth that I have been listening to this morning is my favourite but also his violin concerto . Must get round to getting the piano concerto recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I think it’s a splendid series not only the symphonies ( I think the Fourth that I have been listening to this morning is my favourite but also his violin concerto . Must get round to getting the piano concerto recordings.
                    I have only heard the excellent Alwyn Fourth by Hickox and the composer, on Chandos and Lyrita respectively, and really liked the Hickox by some margin, I listen to that recording quite often. I believe the Fourth was a summation of a tetralogy (the Fifth is a slighter work).
                    Last edited by akiralx; 22-04-24, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                    X