What British, commonwealth, or similar 'neglected' composer are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What British, commonwealth, or similar 'neglected' composer are you listening to?

I am particularly fond of those 'second division' (not my term) British and Commonwealth composers; Cooke, Rootham, Benjamin, Wordsworth, Jacob, Joubert, Rawsthorne, Alwyn, Berkeley, Hoddinott, Rubbra, Bush, Musgrave, Still, Searle, Lilburn, Arnell, Jones, Grace williams, Malcolm Williamson et al, et al.

Are you listening to any?

Me currently:

oh noes, another thread that threatens to cost me a fortune.............
    Thanks Beefy, nice one !
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

To honour the opening of this thread I will put this on next.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        oh noes, another thread that threatens to cost me a fortune.............
        Thanks Beefy, nice one !
        Sorry ts, but Nonsuch, Sky Larking, English Settlement, Black Sea and Mummer were expenditures that I hadn't expected!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          To honour the opening of this thread I will put this on next.

- This CD is the sort of thing EMI and Decca should be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            Sorry ts, but Nonsuch, Sky Larking, English Settlement, Black Sea and Mummer were expenditures that I hadn't expected!!!!
            its a fair cop...you still saving up for "oranges and Lemons" , "Apple Venus 1" and "Big Express", then?

Black Sea and Mummer should be real treats......"No language in our lungs" on Black Sea is just wonderful.
            Sorry, Back to topic...........
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Malcolm williamson - Symphony #1 etc. Lyrita (check the link for full info on Lyrita)

getsimple, easy, content management system

Last edited by Guest; 27-06-12, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                Malcolm williamson - Symphony #1 etc. Lyrita (check the link for full info)

getsimple, easy, content management system

Been interested in Williamson for a while. Vast output...not sure what is available.....a starter recommendation would be great, if you would be so kind.
                thank you very much !

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Been interested in Williamson for a while. Vast output...not sure what is available.....a starter recommendation would be great, if you would be so kind.
                  thank you very much !
                  Vast output TS but a great deal of it not recorded AFAIK.

This is good though.

Comment

Vast output TS but a great deal of it not recorded AFAIK.

This is good though.

Much less worthy of neglect than Malcolm Williamson, imo, is Peter Racine Fricker, contemporary of Robert Simpson and btw a descendent of the 18th century French author Racine, who studied with the Hungarian-born Matyas Seiber. Likewise Don Banks, another Seiber pupil. One reason for their neglect may lie in their adoption of 12-tone serial compositional means, today no longer considered relevant by the criticalia. The same would apply to Elisabeth Lutyens.

Comment

Recently listened to a fine Lyrita disc comprising :-

BANTOCK Oedipus at Colonus Overture + HOLBROOKE The Birds of Rhiannon + ROOTHAM Symphony No 1 / Philharmonia Orch - Braithwaite / LPO - Handley

Now listening to another superb Lyrita disc :-

MOERAN Sinfonietta , Symphony in G Minor , Overture for a Masque / LPO + NPO - Boult

Incidently, there is a sale on the Dutton website with a reasonable number of Epoch and other discs mainly at £2-99 and £4-99 each - I've ordered a few, including some Rawsthorne, Scott, Dale and Howell.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                        Recently listened to a fine Lyrita disc comprising :-

BANTOCK Oedipus at Colonus Overture + HOLBROOKE The Birds of Rhiannon + ROOTHAM Symphony No 1 / Philharmonia Orch - Braithwaite / LPO - Handley

Now listening to another superb Lyrita disc :-

MOERAN Sinfonietta , Symphony in G Minor , Overture for a Masque / LPO + NPO - Boult

Incidently, there is a sale on the Dutton website with a reasonable number of Epoch and other discs mainly at £2-99 and £4-99 each - I've ordered a few, including some Rawsthorne, Scott, Dale and Howell.
                        I think I can feel more money leaving my pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Much less worthy of neglect than Malcolm Williamson, imo, is Peter Racine Fricker, contemporary of Robert Simpson and btw a descendent of the 18th century French author Racine, who studied with the Hungarian-born Matyas Seiber. Likewise Don Banks, another Seiber pupil. One reason for their neglect may lie in their adoption of 12-tone serial compositional means, today no longer considered relevant by the criticalia. The same would apply to Elisabeth Lutyens.
                          Yes, I agree. I have had this recording in my collection for more years than I care to remember:

Last edited by Guest; 28-06-12, 00:19. Reason: I don't want to say

Comment

George Lloyd / Violin sonata.Lament air and dance.

Tasmin Little and Martin Roscoe.

One of my favourite 2nd division composers.Should have been promoted years ago if you ask me, but I suppose it's a tough league to get out of.

Comment

George Lloyd / Violin sonata.Lament air and dance.

Tasmin Little and Martin Roscoe.

One of my favourite 2nd division composers.Should have been promoted years ago if you ask me, but I suppose it's a tough league to get out of.
                              Time to introduce play offs

When I am I supposed to get round to hearing all this stuff ?
                              If only they played it on the radio............

Comment

Working...
                              X