What British, commonwealth, or similar 'neglected' composer are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to hear that version of the viola Sonata.Mine is by The Bridge Duo on London Independent.

What a piece that is. "Find of the week" for me!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Humphrey Searle Symphony #2. London Philharmonic Orchestra, Josef Krips

Comment

Back in my comfort zone after Black Angels.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Not sure which division this is but it's wonderful stuff.
          This - and I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            This - and I agree.
            A great disc of English music and wonderfully recorded too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              A great disc of English music and wonderfully recorded too.
              Yes, tremendous. I am beginning to get my bearings more on the rarely played English (Scottish, Welsh and Irish). This You Tube clip of Ruth Gipps's Piano Concerto in G Minor (1948) is not for sound technicians who are worried about wow and flutter etc. It has though been my other listening overnight and I really like it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krfbm3ePmRw

If you Stanfordian, or someone else, can advise me whether this is it or there is another I'd be grateful. About halfway between 1948 and today, she referred to one in a letter written within a mile of where I was then and still am now. (Actually, I did leave the area for 15 or so years after 1980 but that's another matter!) Anyhow, it has got me wondering:

Footnote: The Ruth Gipps Biography - http://www.concertino-goettingen.de/...uth_gipps.html - 'Sir Thomas Beecham once said, 'There are no women composers, never have been and possibly never will be'. He was wrong; Ruth Gipps is a case in point. Almost completely ignored by the British music establishment in her lifetime, this tireless servant of music was neither honoured nor acknowledged by the BBC after her death'. I have definitely taken to her!

The Piano Concerto in G minor Op. 34 received its premiere recording in 2011. It was made by Cameo Classics for CD (CC9046CD). The soloist was Angela Brownridge, who had been conducted by Gipps as a child prodigy. No full score existed, and this was created from a set of parts by Elizabeth Smith as a commission from Cameo Classics. The orchestra was the Malta Philharmonic conducted by Michael Laus. Suffolkcoastal - have you still got the R3 stats?
              Last edited by Guest; 28-01-13, 10:58.

Comment

A must for British music nuts ts.
                Beg ,steal,borrow,BUY.

Not too sure, reading some of the reviews on amazon?
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I've ordered it. Got to be some good stuff. internet reviews? Hmmmm
                  trust you lot a bit more !!

Now : Rubbra 5. Hickox.

Just fabulous.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Not too sure, reading some of the reviews on amazon?
                    Take no notice BBM,what do they know.
                    Our very own Roehre rates it,'nuff said.

Comment

Only one piece of Gipps broadcast since the beginning of 2009 and that was last year as far as I can see.

Comment

Comment

That bantock Hyperion Handley CD is quite marvellous . Indeed I think the Celtic Symphony is just what I need to hear before going to bed .

Comment

Lovely disc, Edgy - the first orchestral Music by Parry I ever heard.

I can't do the images, but:

Anthony PAYNE: Time's Arrow; BBCSO/Andrew Davis

... because of the Elgar Third "elaboration", Payne's name and work isn't so "neglected" (although there seem to be fewer performances these days than when the work first appeared) - but Payne's own compositions don't get much of a look in. Time's Arrow is a masterpiece - as fine an orchestral work as any produced from these shores (and better than many from elsewhere). The NMC link I give has copious track samples to give a good idea of what the work is like - I hope that anyone who doesn't know it may give in to the temptation to treat themselves to a copy.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Lovely disc, Edgy - the first orchestral Music by Parry I ever heard.
                              as it was mine in 1978 iirc
                              I can't do the images, but:

Anthony PAYNE: Time's Arrow; BBCSO/Andrew Davis

... because of the Elgar Third "elaboration", Payne's name and work isn't so "neglected" (although there seem to be fewer performances these days than when the work first appeared) - but Payne's own compositions don't get much of a look in. Time's Arrow is a masterpiece - as fine an orchestral work as any produced from these shores (and better than many from elsewhere). The NMC link I give has copious track samples to give a good idea of what the work is like - I hope that anyone who doesn't know it may give in to the temptation to treat themselves to a copy.
                              Can't agree more

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                That bantock Hyperion Handley CD is quite marvellous . Indeed I think the Celtic Symphony is just what I need to hear before going to bed .

How true barbirollians! I love his Pagan Symphony.

I remember a story that /elgar was commenting on the contemporary composers and when he talked about Bantock, he said "poor Gran". Rather perplexing biut i know some of bamtock's are probably not top drawer and he was rather prolific but with quite a few of his scores, there is some rather good musoc, like his symphonies, for instance. i dont think he compsoed a piano concerto did he?
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X