What British, commonwealth, or similar 'neglected' composer are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I die, I would like to see Rutland Boughton's Glastonbury Ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      before is a safer bet....
      Hope you do get to see it !
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        I am particularly fond of those 'second division' (not my term) British and Commonwealth composers; Cooke, Rootham, Benjamin, Wordsworth, Jacob, Joubert, Rawsthorne, Alwyn, Berkeley, Hoddinott, Rubbra, Bush, Musgrave, Still, Searle, Lilburn, Arnell, Jones, Grace williams, Malcolm Williamson et al, et al.

Are you listening to any?

Me currently:

Early Friday evening and it's Rawsthorne's marvelous Symphonic Studies again - if you haven't heard this piece, you should put it right!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          oooer mrs
          I'd like to hear it conducted by Sid James

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            When I am I supposed to get round to hearing all this stuff ?
            If only they played it on the radio............
            One day...

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
              Early Friday evening and it's Rawsthorne's marvelous Symphonic Studies again - if you haven't heard this piece, you should put it right!
              A superb work and a masterpiece of British music IMO. I wonder when it was last broadcast on R3?

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                A superb work and a masterpiece of British music IMO. I wonder when it was last broadcast on R3?
                I am listening to it on youtube. (Philharmonia)

Its had 721 views. !!
                722 now.
                Last edited by teamsaint; 30-06-12, 11:29.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  One day...

Ah the "North" . Nice.

Comment

Is there a "third division"? I'm wondering about William Wallace (1860-1940), championed by Hyperion, Martyn Brabbins and the BBC SSO who led the way by recording four of his symphonic poems in the mid-1990s.

Wallace had an amazing CV: composer, painter, classical scholar, eye surgeon......

Comment

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post
                      Is there a "third division"? I'm wondering about William Wallace (1860-1940), championed by Hyperion, Martyn Brabbins and the BBC SSO who led the way by recording four of his symphonic poems in the mid-1990s.

Wallace had an amazing CV: composer, painter, classical scholar, eye surgeon......
                      Not heard of Wallace, will look him up. Sounds very interesting, and yes, quit a CV!

Comment

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post

Another composer (though probably not "third division") with an impresssive CV was William Alwyn. I've read he was a composer, painter and poet. He was also a virtuoso flautist and multi-lingual. It's a shame his symphonies, especially the brief but dramatic fifth, are not more widely known.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                          Another composer (though probably not "third division") with an impresssive CV was William Alwyn. I've read he was a composer, painter and poet. He was also a virtuoso flautist and multi-lingual. It's a shame his symphonies, especially the brief but dramatic fifth, are not more widely known.
                          Ah Alwyn,one of my faves,I listen to a lot of his music (so grateful to Chandos,Lyrita and Naxos).
                          Not only the symphonies,if you are not familiar with his concertos and chamber music Boilk,I urge you to investigate further.
                          A PREMIER LEAGUE composer IMO.

Comment

Ah Alwyn,one of my faves,I listen to a lot of his music (so grateful to Chandos,Lyrita and Naxos).
                            Not only the symphonies,if you are not familiar with his concertos and chamber music Boilk,I urge you to investigate further.
                            A PREMIER LEAGUE composer IMO.
                            Definitely premier league!

Prompted me to play this....

Comment

Not sure which division this is but it's wonderful stuff.

Comment

Not sure which division this is but it's wonderful stuff.
                                SPL?
                                always enjoy his stuff, really ought to buy some.
                                Am going to buy some.
                                A box set !!
                                If there is one.
                                Sponsored by Irn Bru hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X