What British, commonwealth, or similar 'neglected' composer are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Grace Williams - Symphony #2. Lyrita

Played the whole CD earlier, Fairest Of The Stars is wonderful!

"[The Second Symphony is] an absorbing work whose mix of styles and models serves as a reminder that pluralism in music is not just a phenomenon of the years since 1980. The symphony begins by evoking Shostakovich and Vaughan Williams but, by the finale, it is late-romanticism recalling both Wagner and Mahler that provides the source for William’s most powerful utterances. The orchestral compositions reveal a distinctive personality, but Williams is still more impressive in the neo-Straussian opulence of Fairest Stars, a setting of Milton whose vocal line seems to reflect the wonder and ecstasy of Ariadne auf Naxos … here projected with admirable sensitivity by Janet Price" Arnold Wittall, Gramophone

Just finished symphony #2 - Wow! What an underrated work!

Comment

How wonderful! It is a thrilling piece and I adore the impressionistic poeme for vioin and orchestra 'Heaventree of Stars' on the same disc.
      Both works which surely deserve programming at the Proms!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
        How wonderful! It is a thrilling piece and I adore the impressionistic poeme for vioin and orchestra 'Heaventree of Stars' on the same disc.
        Both works which surely deserve programming at the Proms!
        Don't hold your breath Rosie!!!

Comment

Orchestral music of such variety, not heard at the Proms since his Euphonium Concerto in 2004 - available to download here and a fine piece of writing

Comment

Happy listening!

I have the Naxos CDs with the Lyrica Angelica and I also have the Lyrita, which I just about prefer. it also has the added interest of having the composer conducting.

The Naxos releases are of course much cheaper!
            Many thanks for your reply.

Comment

Charles Duncan-Rubbra - Symphonies 3 & 4. Lyrita.

I have a few Hickox recordings of Rubbra's symphonies on Chandos, but I seem to prefer these Lyrita prformances for some reason.

Comment

It seems churlish to criticize Hickox's recordings of the Rubbra given his rare commitment to the works, but they've always sounded underpowered to me: Groves, Del Mar, Handley and others have so much more fire. I so hope that NAXOS do a cycle with David Lloyd Jones or Andrew Penny at the helm.

I suppose my fantasy that Belohlavek would record a Rubbra cycle with the BBCSO will never now happen - I'm convinced he'd reveal links/similarities with Martinu, and put Rubbra on the international map where he belongs.

John Foulds, anyone?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  George Lloyd / Violin sonata.Lament air and dance.

Tasmin Little and Martin Roscoe.

One of my favourite 2nd division composers.Should have been promoted years ago if you ask me, but I suppose it's a tough league to get out of.
                  I quite agree. I'm particularly fond of the 7th Symphony, especially the slow movement, which is...well...special.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    It seems churlish to criticize Hickox's recordings of the Rubbra given his rare commitment to the works, but they've always sounded underpowered to me: Groves, Del Mar, Handley and others have so much more fire. I so hope that NAXOS do a cycle with David Lloyd Jones or Andrew Penny at the helm.

I suppose my fantasy that Belohlavek would record a Rubbra cycle with the BBCSO will never now happen - I'm convinced he'd reveal links/similarities with Martinu, and put Rubbra on the international map where he belongs.

John Foulds, anyone?
                    Egg wetter gree - I suppose that makes me a churl!

Comment

Egg wetter gree - I suppose that makes me a churl!
                      I still bought them - I'm just a churl who can't say "no"!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

BENJAMIN DALE

Sonata in E major op 11
                        Ballade op 15

Lorraine McAslan (violin) / Michael Dussek (piano)

From a delightfull Dutton disc - Dale is a new composer to me, apparently a contemporary of Arnold Bax and York Bowen but rather less well known which is a pity if these works are anything to go by. I shall be exploring more from this composer - viola music and the piano sonata next I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          I still bought them - I'm just a churl who can't say "no"!
                          Me Too!

I missed your John Foulds reference on post #52.

One of the best CDs I ever bought was a Foulds orchestral/vocal collection on Warner classics. Gonna play it next - thanks for reminding me of this amazing composer!

Comment

John Foulds:

Three Mantras from Avatara
                            Lyra Celtica
                            Apotheosis (Elegy)
                            Mirage

If you've never heard these pieces you are in for a very special experience when you do!

Here's a link to the first Mantra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLR21wbcSnU

Comment

Great to see so much love here being expressed for the generations of British composers who emerged before Malcolm Arnold and have been overlooked as unfashionable, one just assumes. I had thought to write a book on 'em all, but new names I'd never even heard of just kept on coming up and coming up, and still do.

Frank Bridge is still my favourite - I've always rated him above his most illustrious pupil.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                ...Frank Bridge is still my favourite - I've always rated him above his most illustrious pupil.
                                Oh yes! I'd forgotten Bridge - a member of Wood's Queen's Hall Orchestra (as were John Foulds and Eric Coates) and apparently a most reliable conductor.

Comment

Working...
                                X