Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one's for lovers of Vaughan Williams's music. As everyone knows, his "Serenade to Music" was written for 16 singers.and smallish orchestra. Here it is from the Hannover Proms in 2022 with the North German Radio Philharmonic conducted by Andrew Manze. The solo parts are sung by the various sections of a mammoth choir numbering about 400 voices! ... As someone remarks in the comments underneath, the assembled forces would be enough for Mahler's 8th. In any case, "a beautiful performance" pretty much sums up what the majority of the viewers think of it ...

Comment

Following a comment on the Andrew Davis thread about Tippett's The Mask of Time at the Proms, I had no idea that the 1984 world premiere (conducted by the other Davis, Sir Colin) was on YouTube:

1984 world-premiere live broadcast of Sir Michael Tippett's oratorio THE MASK OF TIME. Faye Robinson, soprano; Yvonne Minton, mezzo-soprano; Robert Tear, ten...

Comment

I imagine we're all familiar enough with the "Enigma Variations" so it's particularly fascinating to come across a performance of the work from Germany under the baton of a French conductor. What makes this one particularly special is the virtuosity of the playing. Doubtless the burst of applause after "Troyte" would get 'shushed' in this country but a German audience, presumably less familiar with the work than the English, would feel less inhibited in reacting to the fireworks on display. Anyway, the comments under the video are unanimous in their praise of the performance and many will feel deservedly so. Here it is, played by the Frankfurt Radio Symphony, conductor Alain Antinoglu, from a concert given last December ...,

Edward Elgar: Variationen über ein eigenes Thema für Orchester op. 36 »Enigma-Variationen« ∙[Thema]. Andante 00:00 –Variation I »C. A. E.«. L’istesso tempo ...

Comment

Working...
        X