X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Please enlighten me...

So many of the folks in here swoon at the mere mention of his name that he can do no wrong !
    I"m sure Elgar was more than capable of writing dross along with the best of them , not that i'm suggesting for one minute that he ever did

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      I wonder how many of those are for the actual score in question
      rather than the feeling that the composer is neglected ?
      You mean - neglected compared with John Williams? Or neglected in not being chosen by the BBC film experts?

Good result, though (thanks Suffy) - I've posted the result (top three) on our Fb page to show what a pretentious bunch we are I have actually seen Scott of the Antarctic and Henry V but nothing post-1950

Probably the general distaste for lists of Top Things stopped people attempting the final choices.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks from me too, sc.

Comment

I am glad that RVW won the top vote. Also pleased with Morricone and Bernard Herman(two entries!)
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post

Scott of the Antarctic: Vaughan Williams 12
            Henry V: Walton 11
            Alexander Nevsky: Prokofiev 9
            The Good the Bad and the Ugly: Morricone 8
            The Third Man: Karas 8
            For a few Dollars More: Morricone 7
            Murder on the Orient Express: R R Bennett 7
            Once upon a time in the West: Morricone 7
            Psycho: Herrmann 7
            Things to Come: A Bliss 7
            Vertigo: Herrmann 7

!
            ... so first prize to Morricone

Morricone : 21 points
            Herrmann : 14 points
            Vaughan Wms : 12 points
            Walton 11
            Prokofiev 9
            Karas 8
            Richd R Bennett 7
            Bliss 7

( ... so pleased to see that Vaughan Williams came third... )

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              so pleased to see that Vaughan Williams came third... )

Comment

But he needed three goes to overhaul RVW
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  But he needed three goes to overhaul RVW
                  Good, Bad and Ugly?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Morricone : 21 points
                    Herrmann : 14 points
                    Vaughan Wms : 12 points
                    Walton 11
                    Prokofiev 9
                    Karas 8
                    Richd R Bennett 7
                    Bliss 7

( ... so pleased to see that Vaughan Williams came third... )
                    Off topic, I was listening to Sir A Previn on DID and he recounted the tale of introducing the Tallis Fantasia to the Vienna Phil. He claimed all/most of the orchestra had never heard of either Tallis or RVW!

Comment

Thank you, salymap, you've done it for me !

gamba

Comment

Where have you lot been ?

How about Georges Auric & his wonderfully imaginative scores for Cocteau's films.

For many years the country producing the most intelligent, poetic & worthwhile films was France - they have lived in my memory from the day first seen. Probably the greatest of them all, ' Les Enfants du Paradis ' was never once mentioned in these lists - shame on you !!

thank you, Alain, good to see Flaherty's ' Louisiana Story ' listed. I have the CD of this great music.
                        Last edited by gamba; 10-08-14, 09:55.

Comment

Somewhat belatedly, I have just come across this 'sticky' thread. It seems like a good opportunity to wax lyrical about Franz Waxman and his score for A Place in the Sun which I recommend to anyone who enjoys the sound of Hollywood scores played by studio orchestras of the 50's. The score rarely gets an outing nowadays although John Wilson included Waxman's suite from the film in his 2014 Hollywood Prom in a particularly smouldering performance.
                          Waxman; how many other composers can claim to have beaten Shostakovich to the punch?

Comment

Robin Hood - Korngold.

I think that this is one of my favourite films. It is easily the best Robin Hood film.

I agree with the nominations for Miles' "Lift to the scaffold" but could bot see any reference to Jerry Goldsmith's music to "Breakheart pass." This is a film that I loved as a kid and always enjoyed the music.

We went to see the "Taar" film back in March and both of us nearly fell asleep. It was really underwhelming - a case of "Taar - no thanks."

Comment

I'm very late to the party on this. In fact, the party is over, but FWIW here are some of my favourites: Michael Nyman's soundtracks to Peter Greenaway's films; Florian Fricke's (Popol Vuh) soundtracks to Werner Herzog's films; Angelo Badalamenti's soundtracks to David Lynch's TV and films; Brain Easdale - The Red Shoes; Dave Grusin - Three Days of the Condor; Hans-Werner Henze - Un Amour de Swann; Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown; Thomas Newman - American Beauty; Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas; Lalo Schifrin - Bullitt and Dirty Harry; Isaac Hayes - Shaft; Michael Small - Klute; Philip Glass - Mishima; Vangelis - Blade Runner.

Comment

Apart from Vaughan Willams and Walton, one of my favoiurite film scores is Fernando Previtali's for Visconti's first film , Ossessione. I find it intensely haunting and it's one of the reasons I re-watch the film.

Comment

Working...
                                X