• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Sadly, not available as a boxed set - in fact, the number of "Used" copies on Amazon (and the paucity of "New") suggests that Hyperion have discontinued them. Perhaps this means they're about to be repackaged for Helios.
    I thought you were going to say that Brilliant have bought them and are releasing them as a box set on Thursday for £5.99

Comment

• DublinJimbo
      • Nov 2011

Sadly, not available as a boxed set - in fact, the number of "Used" copies on Amazon (and the paucity of "New") suggests that Hyperion have discontinued them. Perhaps this means they're about to be repackaged for Helios.
      Yes, I see on Hyperion's site that, while all are available to download, the majority of the SQ recordings on CD are described as 'Archive Service only'.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Please please have a look at his brass band music too! Desford Colliery band/James Watson some very fine playing, recording as well. My personal favourites are his Symphonic Study 'Energy' and his brass band symphony The Four Temprements.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          I thought you were going to say that Brilliant have bought them and are releasing them as a box set on Thursday for £5.99
          Yes; I've had that dream, too.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Please please have a look at his brass band music too! Desford Colliery band/James Watson some very fine playing, recording as well. My personal favourites are his Symphonic Study 'Energy' and his brass band symphony The Four Temprements.
            Seconded!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Yes; I've had that dream, too.
              #

If we all manifest that thought together, miraculous things may happen.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I'd start with the Ninth Symphony, Karafan, in this recording:

... which includes a substantial track devoted to the composer introducing this work. Simpson was almost as fine at talking about Music as he was writing it; I think you'll find the prospect of emerging the entire foot, leg and body after this irresistable - the ebb and flow of this Music makes for great swimming. (And, if the convoluted metaphor doesn't appeal, look at the price of the Second-hand disc!)
                I agree with you entirely !

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                  Thanks all - have bitten the bullet and got the Handley set, so shall have to devote some time to it over the next few weeks. Thanks for the tips and pointers
                  You're gonna get hooked

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

If anyone fancies dipping a toe into his String Quartets there are a few teasers here http://www.earsense.org/chamberbase/...itle=&keysig=0

Comment

Working...
                    X