Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Interesting that they also go for the cod mediaeval peasant accent favoured by Steeleye and Partridge. Clearly a cultural meme. Is there a medievalist who can tell us who would have sung this Carol and whether there was any real class based accent variation in Medieval England? My guess is monks and none other than the division between Norman French speakers and the rest .
    Here be a medievalist but I can't answer the question in this case. It's not clear where or when the words were written. Wikipedia suggests the collected songs, of which Gaudete is one, were sung in Finnish cathedral schools at the time. The rest is supposition, I think. Not sure that Latin would have been sung with a rustic accent.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Here be a medievalist but I can't answer the question in this case. It's not clear where or when the words were written. Wikipedia suggests the collected songs, of which Gaudete is one, were sung in Finnish cathedral schools at the time. The rest is supposition, I think. Not sure that Latin would have been sung with a rustic accent.
      I misread Finnish as Flemish - oh dear.

this seems fairly definitive. It’s not medieval at all but 16th century . All those rustic accents are so much 20th cent romanticising.Did Donald get into all this?

After spending the past two days researching the Christmas carol “Gaudete,” two things are clear: 1) This is a really popular carol, and 2) Everyone thinks it’s medieval. Well, I …

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        Interesting that they also go for the cod mediaeval peasant accent favoured by Steeleye and Partridge.
        My favourite such accent is in Purcell's "King Arthur" with Trevor Pinnock / English Concert, "Your Hay It Is Mow'd" -​ they really sound as if they're enjoying themselves.

Comment

VG prog. More, more!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              VG prog. More, more!
              VG today as well.

Perotin seems to be quite a regular on R3 for some time now and today's programme was helpful to recognition of his sound. I also enjoyed the use of bells.

Comment

Working...
              X