Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a major work, but Holst's setting of the Nunc Dimittis for double choir is a staple in the cathedral choir repertoire. Particularly useful as a partner to Magnificats which have no Nunc Dimittis of their own. It was written for Westminster Cathedral during the First World War but forgotten about until I think the 1980s when it was published.

Comment

While we're talking about Holst, in addition to the other suggestions listed above I would nominate The Hymn of Jesus as a masterpiece - so definitely not a one hit wonder!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Gustav Holst is my nomination as a 'one hit wonder'.
        Holst's Sāvitri is a small marvel, especially with Janet Baker in the title role.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          I'm sure there are enough examples to fill a second week of programmes on the same theme.
          Petroc has taken up the idea, and kicked off with an alternative Ponchielli piece so will be open to suggestions? Who knows, if there's enough interest at Breakfast time it might prompt another COTW programme.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            RichardB mentioned Holst in post #19, but the case was roundly dismissed in post #21.
            I haven't heard any of those other Holst pieces... I mean I've heard them but I didn't know they were Holst... I mean I did hear other pieces by Holst but it was in a work context so it doesn't count... ummm... I resign

Comment

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
              While we're talking about Holst, in addition to the other suggestions listed above I would nominate The Hymn of Jesus as a masterpiece - so definitely not a one hit wonder!
              You beat me to it - this is my desert island Holst work!

Comment

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Probably his finest work.

Comment

In the organ world, a very notable OHW is Julius Reubke’s Sonata on the 94th Psalm. Rebuke died in 1858 at the age of 24, having been a pupil of Liszt for five years. His equally Lisztian Piano Sonata in B flat minor doesn’t receive as much attention, but is also a remarkable work. Written in the penultimate year of his short life, the organ Sonata’s four sections are each inspired by a verse from Ps.94, concluding with a turbulent fugue in which God wreaks vengeance upon the wicked. The transformation of themes and other characteristics of his teacher’s art are apparent in this dramatic piece of high romanticism.

There are many recordings on YT, notably Richard Gowers at King’s, Cambridge - https://youtu.be/yLa-1ONtXC0
                    and Gillian Weir in Boston, Mass. - https://youtu.be/U9gCvM7PaYA (with music score; fugue begins at 16’54)

Comment

Oh dear, now you've mentioned organ music, I suppose one has to mention that dratted Sortie by Lefébure-Wély. Loved by some. Detested by me.
                      Fairground music? A one flop blunder?

Comment

I think if Sir Adrian, Sir Malcolm or Si Charles (Groves) had been asked if Holst was a ‘one hit wonder’ then the reply would have resembled John
                        McEnroe’s when challenged by the umpire!

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Holst's Sāvitri is a small marvel, especially with Janet Baker in the title role.
                          Are we not talking about the popularity of works here, meaning 'hit'?

Yes, I agreee Sāvitri, The Hymn of Jeus and several others by Holst are super works yet they are very rarely played and therefore not part of any hit parade I know.

No mattter how good his works may be if you ever hear a Holst work played or programmed it is envarably Holst's 'The Planets' the popularity of which transcends any other of his works by miles.

Comment

Working...
                          X