Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

This was a very welcome series of programmes and she was among many composers I had suggested for CoTW. I know her 3 symphonies well and have heard her chamber works and piano pieces and for me Farrenc is by far the best female composer of the 19th century. Her larger works have both an energy and impressive depth that are very engaging and satisfying and her smaller works are nearly always a pleasant delight.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      ... [and no effin phone ins...]
      Ah but there were! Donald spoke to some of those who had proposed her.

I enjoyed her music too. I had never heard of her. I don't think she's even been mentioned on the AA thread!
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Louise Farrenc was not actully the listeners choice. In response to an email I sent to COTW, it transpires that this composer was actually chosen by the programmes own people before listeners were ever asked for their comments- and, it would appear, no one actually suggested this person. I have asked, among other things, why the programme wasted listeners time, and, who did the listeners actually suggest. See my posting on the subject.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

well there you are same ol mendacity eh

.... but still a most welcome programme whatever gerrymandering and electoral fraud were involved
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
            This was a very welcome series of programmes and she was among many composers I had suggested for CoTW. I know her 3 symphonies well and have heard her chamber works and piano pieces and for me Farrenc is by far the best female composer of the 19th century. Her larger works have both an energy and impressive depth that are very engaging and satisfying and her smaller works are nearly always a pleasant delight.
            many thanks for your efforts Suffolkcoastal; i share your enthusiasm for her music
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

I note that in his series on symphonies for the Guardian Tom Service included Farrenc's Third . I was intrigued by coming across a contributor to YT who uploads a great deal of recordings of largely forgotten 19th century music by playing the opening minutes of her first symphony and have picked up a cheapish secondhand copy of her Symphonies 1 and 3 on CPO .

On first hearing I am very impressed - as the note writer suggests this is music written very much in the German tradition 0 she was a pupil of Reicha and a friend of Hummel apparently but there is real depth to these works and I am looking forward to getting to know them a deal better .

I see that not a note of her music has ever been played at the Proms .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Although I may well be talking to myself I am entirely smitten by Farrenc's symphonies .The Second has terrific charm and vim a sort of symphony Mendelssohn might wish to have written . All three symphonies are so well written and lots of splendid tunes . The second movement of the First is charming me now - I would swop any of her three for the Reformation Symphony.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Although I may well be talking to myself
                  ... at least that way, you can be assured of good conversation, Barbs!

I've regularly listened to Farrenc's chamber music since coming across her sextet on R3 (the Vents Français recording - was it on Record Review? Can't recall).

But never got round to the symphonies, till now. Thanks for the recommendation. The CPO performances you mention (NDR Radio Orchestra / Goritzki) are all on Qobuz, and No 1 is playing as I type. Engaging stuff, indeed - well performed and recorded too
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

I am totally smitten with Farrenc's Second Symphony - the influence of Beethoven is very strong but what a dramatic ,tuneful and splendidly orchestrated work it is .

Comment

Working...
                    X