No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adams, John

I have tried, I really have.

But I just cannot shake off the gut feeling that the guy is having the longest and most lucrative laugh in musical history at us all.

What is it that you have tried?

Comment

I've said it before - I experience a strong physiological reaction, over which I have no control. I feel a knot of tension at the back of my head, which increases the longer it goes on, and which stops when the music stops. Shaker Loops (for instance) is on the exact frequency to cause this.

He seems such a nice guy.

Comment

I think of Adams as a kind of capitalist Tikhon Khrennikov. I mean that's probably an unfair comparison, he's yet to send anyone I know of to the gulags or ruin the career of a fellow composer for collaborating with the enemy, but his art seems to play a similar role in the American culture industry and is on a similar aesthetic level (harmless at best, agitprop at worst)

Most of the new music coming out of Beijing seems to be similar, in fairness, if not even more vapid.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

I've said it before - I experience a strong physiological reaction, over which I have no control. I feel a knot of tension at the back of my head, which increases the longer it goes on, and which stops when the music stops. Shaker Loops (for instance) is on the exact frequency to cause this.
          Yes, me too. I tried Loops again this morning. Lasted maybe 90 seconds before I thought, I just don't need this. Off.

Life's too short.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Really interest comments. For my personal taste I don't agree. I have been listening to and enjoying Adams music for many years. But I understand the comments. The music one likes is all personal, I am sure we would always disagree on some composers but support the right to agree or disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
              Really interest comments. For my personal taste I don't agree. I have been listening to and enjoying Adams music for many years. But I understand the comments. The music one likes is all personal, I am sure we would always disagree on some composers but support the right to agree or disagree.

Comment

Short Ride In A Fast Machine is entertaining. I've heard it live a few times now as it has become a popular curtain raiser. Dr. Atomic is a compelling Opera but not compelling Music . Nixon In China and The Death Of Klinghoffer did less for me. Gnarly Dances is worth the occassional listen.
                Adams Music is hardly compelling. If it dissapeared from the Planet I don't think that I would notice. It is nice to see a Contemporary Composer have some success and a Public Profile. It isn't his fault that he is more of a Grieg than a Beethoven.

Comment

I'm quite fond of some of the works composed in the 1980's and 90's. The Wound Dresser I find very moving and works very well, the Violin Concerto also comes off rather well, the Chamber Symphony is entertaining and I do like Harmonium with the fascinating rhythmic interplay in the last section and Nixon in China I find far more involving then any of Philip Glass's operatic efforts. His more recent efforts I find rather vacuous and he seems to be struggling to find any sort of direction.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Short Ride In A Fast Machine is entertaining
                    I'm afraid short is my preference when listening to JA.

Comment

I must be the only one then!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        I've always had you down as unique, Bbm!
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          I've always had you down as unique, Bbm!
                          To the tune of Guantanamero:

There's only one Brassbandmaestro
                          One Brassbandmaestro
                          There's only one Brassband maeeeeestro
                          One Brassbandmaestro...

Etc etc - da capo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            No Bbm!
                            I'm in the fan club too... but run out of time tonight...maybe later.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Etc etc - da capo.
                              Are you sure that isn't a John Adams tune?

I realise there are plenty of people who don't share this opinion, but for me Adams seems to go to the supermarket to choose a few preexistent stylistic characteristics, then goes home, mixes them together and waters them all down...

Comment

Working...
                              X