Clear All

Thank you guys!!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      No Bbm!
      I'm in the fan club too... but run out of time tonight...maybe later.
      Bbm,

There are at least 3 of us I agree with JLW, just haven't had time to pen more and but I am a fan for many years.

BS

Comment

<< I realise there are plenty of people who don't share this opinion, but for me Adams seems to go to the supermarket to choose a few preexistent stylistic characteristics, then goes home, mixes them together and waters them all down...>>

Succinctly put.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          << I realise there are plenty of people who don't share this opinion, but for me Adams seems to go to the supermarket to choose a few preexistent stylistic characteristics, then goes home, mixes them together and waters them all down...>>

Succinctly put.
          Chir-py Chirpy Cheep-Cheep

Chir-py Chirpy Cheep-Cheep

CHIRP!
          All Together Now!!

Not only, but also ...

Last edited by Guest; 31-08-14, 11:39.

Comment

I'm with BBM, JLW, and Black Swan here!
            Many composers whose music I'd throw out of the balloon basket to stay in the air before that of Adams.
            Shaker Loops, Violin Concerto, Chairman Dances, and Harmonium all much enjoyed in Casa Pulcinella.
            Indeed, when trying out a new CD system, not remotely of the spec JLW has, along with a choral CD and a piano one I took the Nonesuch Chairman Dances to see how they came across.

But I can appreciate that it might drive other folks crazy!

Comment

I don't know enough of his work to pronounce judgement meaningfully. We saw Nixon in China at ENO a few years ago but I don't have a recording. It was an exciting staging and a most enjoyable evening in the theatre. I have only two CDs: The Simon Rattle Harmonienlehre disc on EMI and the Chamber Symphony with Reinbert de Leeuw and the Schönberg Ensemble on the Radio Nederland Box, both of which make rather compelling listening to my ears.

Comment

I'm a fan of Harmonium - and I still have the CD of it I bought nigh on 30 years ago

Comment

I had the privilege of attending a performance of Doctor Atomic at ENO in 2009. Adams' setting of Donne's sonnet, 'Batter my heart, three person'd God', is one of the greatest arias in opera; immense the genius that created it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Well according to a recent TV series I hear that John Adams "Saved" contemporary music

Comment

I saw 'Death of Klinghoffer' at the EIF about 8 years ago. Interesting music and premise well performed by Scottish Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Well according to a recent TV series I hear that John Adams "Saved" contemporary music
                        Mebbe - but Ferneyhough got the rebound.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Mebbe - but Ferneyhough got the rebound.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Well as we all known you can't believe everything you hear on TV or Radio. I think this is a bit of a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                              I think this is a bit of a stretch.
                              A bit! Anyone who thinks contemporary music needed "saving" can't have anything else much of interest to say about it, surely.

Comment

Richard B.

I totally agree, I was being nice, but I agree Contemporary music did/does not need saving.

Comment

Working...
                                X