This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sub-Forum: Composers

Following an excellent suggestion from BeefO, and with many thanks to Andrew Slater for arranging the facilities, welcome to the new Composers Sub Forum.

There have been many Threads in which comments on individual composers have been posted, sometimes off-topic - or at a tangent to it - from the Thread itself. Interesting comments and discussions on matters such as the Bruckner Editions, the completion of unfinished Symphonies, OVpP etc etc have appeared in Posts not directly/immediately connected to the topics of the Threads in which they appeared, making it difficult to find where these Posts have appeared. Over the next few days, I'm going to try to bring these Posts into this new sub-forum - and I hope that it will be used by Forumistas to comment on any composers whose work (and/or the events in their lives) interest/puzzle them.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

May one hope that you will copy the Posts into this sub-forum rather than move them entirely. It would be regrettable if the original threads were to have gaps; I enjoy the way tangents can arise - it makes the threads like conversations, rather than debates, or in some cases, wrangles.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
      May one hope that you will copy the Posts into this sub-forum rather than move them entirely. It would be regrettable if the original threads were to have gaps; I enjoy the way tangents can arise - it makes the threads like conversations, rather than debates, or in some cases, wrangles.
      - absolutely.

Comment

Won't this lead to threads being diluted? For example, in 'Essential Shostakovich Discs' we are debating various recordings but we are of necessity discussing the composer himself and his impact on our lives and CD collections? Won't there also be confusion where the 'right' place is to post?

Sorry if I've misunderstood but you get my drift, I hope.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I'm not sure that I understand your point, Pet. Forumistas who wish to start Threads will continue to post wherever they think the topic is best suited; if posts appear in that Thread that are suited to the new sub-Forum, they'll be copied here, where they can be quickly accessed. A Thread title with "Shostakovich" in it is clearly about Shostakovich - a discussion about Shostakovich appearing under a Thread title such as "What are you listening to now?" is less easily accessed.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, but I am not entirely sure, Ferney?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Sounds like a good idea, but I am not entirely sure, Ferney?
              Well - I might have made a rod for my own back by having to seek out suitable posts from the other Threads (the difficulty of finding which is the whole point of the exercise) but I would suggest that we wait until the thing is actually up and running before the new sub-Forum is criticised. If it turns out to be a bad idea, we can quietly give it a job in the Forum Vaults where it can quietly disappear, unwanted, unloved, unmourned. On the other hand, if it proves a useful addition to the Forum ...

Comment

Actually, I have always been a bit surprised that general threads on composers aren't more popular. A bit odd really. Hopefully this bold new initiative () will help to correct that.
                The other day I was thinking about starting a general thread on Poulenc, promoted by a listen to his harpsichord concerto, but didn't. True fact.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  The other day I was thinking about starting a general thread on Poulenc.
                  ...and you hope nobody would start tangents which include guillotines, Black Madonnas, Maurice Duruflé, Soissons or car crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                    ...and you hope nobody would start tangents which include guillotines, Black Madonnas, Maurice Duruflé, Soissons or car crashes.
                    But do we know that ts is telling the truth?
                    In this post-truth alternative fact world he was probably listening to the two-piano concerto and is too embarrassed now to admit that he could not remember the instrument(s) being played. After all, there was some recent confusion with the role of a celesta, I seem to recall.

Comment

Would this include singular works, or be a general thread? Hmm I think I be looking forward to this.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        People have been "called out" for making lesser suggestions, and meet in the dunes at Blankenberge, I am certain that ts would not knowingly mislead.

This is fun: tangents in a thread about tangents, which was not originally about tangents.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          In this post-truth alternative fact world he was probably listening to the two-piano concerto and is too embarrassed now to admit that he could not remember the instrument(s) being played. After all, there was some recent confusion with the role of a celesta, I seem to recall.

And yes,I also listened to the two piano concerto, which had ,as per tin, two Pianos.

All very straightforward really, Pulcers.
                          Now where is that french style whistley smiley thing.....?
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            I'm not sure that I understand your point, Pet. Forumistas who wish to start Threads will continue to post wherever they think the topic is best suited; if posts appear in that Thread that are suited to the new sub-Forum, they'll be copied here, where they can be quickly accessed. A Thread title with "Shostakovich" in it is clearly about Shostakovich - a discussion about Shostakovich appearing under a Thread title such as "What are you listening to now?" is less easily accessed.
                            I think that it's a great idea! Somehow I imagine that Shostakovich might have agreed!...

Comment

Ferney, please feel free to move my rather short Holmboe thread here, to give the sub forum a rip roaring start !!

Comment

Working...
                              X