Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve actually played a lot of his brass band music. A good listen these works are!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      The string quartets are really fine works IMO.

Looking forward to this, when I can get time to hear it. Arnold's music deserves a higher profile in live performance IMO.

Cue discussion about conservative/cautious concert programming. ticket sales, cost of hire of scores etc etc etc
      Yes ts,the string quartets are amazing

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      Yep but on a budget note Amazon have the 4 disc Hickox complete symphonies for a mere £16...
      Even cheaper from Presto,£12.25.
      It’s a marvellous set (7 to 9 are BBC Phil/Rumon Gamba).
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Intriguing reference to a legal issue with this week’s programmes in this tweet from DM earlier....

Enjoying the series very much
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Intriguing reference to a legal issue with this week’s programmes in this tweet from DM earlier....

Enjoying the series very much
          The most recent previous CotW series on Arnold was in 2006. Since then there has been the litigation relating to his estate and who was entitled to what proportion of the royalties from his music, and related matters. Perhaps such issues had an impact on how this new series was constructed? I feel sure you have the wherewithal to dig deeper.

Comment

Interestingly this is the only COTW I have ever heard that has links to mental health support at the end of the programme . Links that are repeated on the playlist. Difficult to see how Donald’s mellifluous style or Arnold’s music might render these necessary.

Comment

I'm finding the biographical details and the music equally interesting.

Comment

A touch of the mambo from West Side Story in the Allegro from the 4th symphony?

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  A touch of the mambo from West Side Story in the Allegro from the 4th symphony?
                  On 14/10/2018 the BBC Concert Orchestra played at Northampton Derngate as part of the Malcolm Arnold Festival; the programme included the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story 'and [Arnold's] 4th Symphony which was inspired by it (sic)'.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    I feel sure you have the wherewithal to dig deeper.
                    I might be able to, but given Donald’s desire (indeed, obligation, it sounds like) for discretion, I sense it would be inappropriate.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      On 14/10/2018 the BBC Concert Orchestra played at Northampton Derngate as part of the Malcolm Arnold Festival; the programme included the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story 'and [Arnold's] 4th Symphony which was inspired by it (sic)'.
                      Thanks very much - my ears didn’t deceive me!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        ....& this year's BBC CO Concert from the 14th MA Festival is still available for 15 days:
                        The BBC Concert Orchestra and Barry Wordsworth perform music by Arnold and Shostakovich.

Comment

Barry Wordsworth conducted the BBCCO in the gala concert at the 14th festival. At the Malcolm Arnold Society dinner he said that he and the BBCCO are enthusiastic about doing all of the symphonies, although I doubt it would result in a Proms cycle, but we might see a cycle spread over a few years. Having said that, 2021 is the 100th anniversary of Arnold's birth, and I think we can expect the Arnold Festival (see facebook page) to do something special then: in 2011 (the 90th anniversary) they did all of the numbered symphonies over a weekend, and I think people are hoping for a repeat!

Comment

Thx, Andrew. Good info.

Comment

There's a fascinating musical dissection of the 5th Symphony from Discovering Music archive here. Well worth a listen.

Charles Hazlewood delves into the world of Malcolm Arnold's Fifth Symphony.

Comment

Time to merge the two Malcom Arnold threads?

Comment

Working...
                                X