Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a little reminder that The Dancing Master will be broadcast during the Afternoon Concert this coming Friday, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q3ck

While we're at it. Might it not be worth trying to combine some of the 9 Malcolm Arnold threads together?

Comment

There's a Presto podcast that has just become available:
      The music of Malcolm Arnold, with Piers Burton-Page.

Author and President of the Malcolm Arnold Society, Piers Burton-Page, gives an overview of the life and work of this important voice in twentieth-century British music.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        There's a Presto podcast that has just become available:
        The music of Malcolm Arnold, with Piers Burton-Page.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...rs-burton-page

Thanks for this pulcie (the link on the neglected Brits thread appears to be incorrect)
        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post

Thanks for this pulcie (the link on the neglected Brits thread appears to be incorrect)
          Very odd, as I simply copied and pasted from one to the other.
          Edited out on the other thread and pasted in again: it worked fine then for me.

Comment

It is the 100 th anniversary of his birth next weds.
            Simon Heffer has a piece in the Telegraph to mark the occasion.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

R3 CotW from Monday (18/10/21)......

.......and a new release of the 9th Symphony just out (with a tasty side-dish).... haven't heard it yet....
              Listen to unlimited or download Arnold: Orchestral Music by Liepaja Symphony Orchestra in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

.......and a new release of the 9th Symphony just out, haven't heard it yet....
                https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/ar.../qhxf9ew5pvbob
                Thanks Jayne.
                Missed my chance to hear a MA symphony performed live at the Proms due to a diary clash. A rather significant one as it turned out.
                The new recording is on Apple , so that might make up for it a bit.
                Last edited by teamsaint; 17-10-21, 19:53.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  It is the 100 th anniversary of his birth next weds.
                  Simon Heffer has a piece in the Telegraph to mark the occasion.
                  Heffer also presented The Sunday Feature on ‘Malcolm Arnold the Tortured Composer’,
                  Simon Heffer champions one of Britain’s greatest symphonists, composer Malcolm Arnold.

Worth a listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                    Heffer also presented The Sunday Feature on ‘Malcolm Arnold the Tortured Composer’,
                    Simon Heffer champions one of Britain’s greatest symphonists, composer Malcolm Arnold.

Worth a listen.
                    Thanks for that.

Comment

.......and a new release of the 9th Symphony just out (with a tasty side-dish).... haven't heard it yet....
                      Probably true to say that most previous recordings have been by British or Irish orchestras - is there a link to Latvia in his history?

Comment

Fine R3 prog tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Probably true to say that most previous recordings have been by British or Irish orchestras - is there a link to Latvia in his history?
                          I think the link to Latvia is via the conductor: John Gibbons is an Arnold champion, having conducted on many occasions at the Malcolm Arnold Festival. He's also doing a symphony cycle with (I think) the Ealing Symphony Orchestra. Mr Gibbons has made several other recordings for Toccata with the Liepāja Symphony Orchestra, of music by another neglected British composer: William Wordsworth.

Incidentally the 16th International Malcolm Arnold Festival was held online over this very weekend. If as last year recordings are made available online, I'll post a link here.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                            I think the link to Latvia is via the conductor: John Gibbons is an Arnold champion, having conducted on many occasions at the Malcolm Arnold Festival. He's also doing a symphony cycle with (I think) the Ealing Symphony Orchestra. Mr Gibbons has made several other recordings for Toccata with the Liepāja Symphony Orchestra, of music by another neglected British composer: William Wordsworth.

Incidentally the 16th International Malcolm Arnold Festival was held online over this very weekend. If as last year recordings are made available online, I'll post a link here.
                            Thanks Andrew.

Comment

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post

Worth a listen.
                                For anyone who might have missed it first time around, this very fine, unflinching portrait, was re-broadcast last night, and can be obtained by clicking on the above link.

Comment

Working...
                                X