• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

A version of Kim’s Game perhaps!
    A tennis fan asks: 'Are you sure you've got the right Novak old chap?'

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I agree with Heldenleben's view of Russell's composer films. I did enjoy his second Elgar film (also on YouTube) but it's not a patch on the classic first one. 'Song of Summer' was terrific; and what a fine cast, Max Adrian absolutely perfect (Eric Fenby himself said Adrian was exactly like Delius).

I'm afraid I didn't get anything out of the Bruckner film. But coincidentally, talking of Bruckner oin TV, the SkyArts series of the symphonies, flimed at S. Florian's, is still running. Yesterday was the Seventh. I expect it will be repeated,as their Beethoven and Schumann series have been.
      I didn't know Ken Russell had made a second Elgar film, but having just watched it I have to say I wasn't that impressed. Apart from the fact that doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, it's occasionally self-indulgent and downright silly (the cycle ride through the cathedral). One of the more irritating aspects is the inclusion of superfluous images and sequences that deprive the viewer of the opportunity to use his or her imagination to conjure up his or her own. I suppose it might serve as a useful introduction to the composer for anybody who hadn't had the good fortune to see the 1962 film.

Comment

The only bit I recall is the 'upskirt 'shot of Dorabella on a swing, which I think was KR questioning Elgar's interest in her .

Comment

Working...
        X