Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
    I’m enjoying this Bruckner 8 with Barenboim and the Berlin Statskapelle at the RFH in 2012 which is currently on R3 . With the Bruckner 5 from Abbado earlier in the week it has been a good few days for Bruckner enthusiasts …no doubt quite a few forumites were at this concert as well.
    Yes indeed, I was one of them! If I remember correctly this was the concert when a couple of the double basses failed to show up, for what reason I can't remember supposing I ever knew. Got lost? Traffic trouble? Got the wrong evening? Whatever it was Barenboim went ahead without them. No doubt they faced his wrath later on.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Yes indeed, I was one of them! If I remember correctly this was the concert when a couple of the double basses failed to show up, for what reason I can't remember supposing I ever knew. Got lost? Traffic trouble? Got the wrong evening? Whatever it was Barenboim went ahead without them. No doubt they faced his wrath later on.
      How very unusual .. . Bass line sounded fine tonight . Horns had a few trying moments . ‘‘Twas ever thus…

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Martin Handley was explaining this morning on Breakfast the slight difficulty getting the performance started. Previous concerts in the series had had a Mozart piano concerto to begin the programme, and some orchestra members had assumed the same for this one and were having a meal as they weren't needed until later - as they thought. Barenboim didn't want to start until the full complement was present but pressure was brought to bear as it was a live transmission. I think MH said that Barenboim continued to grumble between movements.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Martin Handley was explaining this morning on Breakfast the slight difficulty getting the performance started. Previous concerts in the series had had a Mozart piano concerto to begin the programme, and some orchestra members had assumed the same for this one and were having a meal as they weren't needed until later - as they thought. Barenboim didn't want to start until the full complement was present but pressure was brought to bear as it was a live transmission. I think MH said that Barenboim continued to grumble between movements.
          Amazing story - thanks !

Comment

What happened to the harp arpeggios at climax of (iii)?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              What happened to the harp arpeggios at climax of (iii)?
              Were they lost in the mix or was it the other edition? I thought the harps were a bit faint tonight and I am a bit hazy on Bruckner editions without the score in front of me …

Comment

I’m pretty sure they form part of Haas. Looking forward to a second and more concentrated listen during the week.

Some lovely instrumental stuff but wasn’t so impressed with the tutti sound of the orchestra.

Not sure Barenboim truly nailed the adagio or finale either, the excellent first movement had promised more somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Thanks for that explanation. I always did wonder what had happened. Interesting that similar pressure wasn't brought to bear on Gennadi Rozhdestvensky back in 1979 when the BBCSO bass trombonist for a complete performance of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty was stuck in traffic necessitating a half hour delay and a live broadcast that went on until around 10.30.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    I’m pretty sure they form part of Haas. Looking forward to a second and more concentrated listen during the week.

Some lovely instrumental stuff but wasn’t so impressed with the tutti sound of the orchestra.

Not sure Barenboim truly nailed the adagio or finale either, the excellent first movement had promised more somehow.
                    I agree that the performance failed to deliver on the promise of the first movement. It’s sum was less than the total of its parts. I was expecting more authority.
                    Last edited by edashtav; 27-07-21, 11:27.

Comment

Totally agree. A disappointment for me. Sorry............

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                        Were they lost in the mix or was it the other edition? I thought the harps were a bit faint tonight and I am a bit hazy on Bruckner editions without the score in front of me …
                        Haas has the harps exposed (a thrilling effect, especially after their expressive prominence in the trio); Nowak maintains the violins in support. But in several of Barenboim's recordings ostensibly of Haas, they are subdued-to-inaudible, suggesting an adjustment by the conductor. In his Teldec BPO recording, the violins play right across those harps just after the adagio climax as per Nowak(**). (He's not alone in this type of adjustment, of course....).

In his latest Berlin Staatskapelle cycle, they are literally inaudible. They might as well not be there. But there is a wide variation in their audibility generally, due to acoustic character, and the sustain from the climax. And conductor-attentions, of course...

(**) In his BPO Teldec 2nd, Barenboim plays the 1877 Carragan, but..... brings in the 1892 first published edition peroration....
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 27-07-21, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Haas has the harps exposed (a thrilling effect, especially after their expressive prominence in the trio); Nowak maintains the violins in support. But in several of Barenboim's recordings ostensibly of Haas, they are subdued-to-inaudible, suggesting an adjustment by the conductor. In his Teldec BPO recording, the violins play right across those harps just after the adagio climax as per Nowak(**). (He's not alone in this type of adjustment, of course....).

In his latest Berlin Staatskapelle cycle, they are literally inaudible. They might as well not be there. But there is a wide variation in their audibility generally, due to acoustic character, and the sustain from the climax. And conductor-attentions, of course...

(**) In his BPO Teldec 2nd, Barenboim plays the 1877 Carragan, but..... brings in the 1892 first published edition peroration....
                          Thanks very much . Might listen again with the Score(S) but tbh despite a good first movement things started going awry in the second.

Comment

Listening to the 8th now from a boxed set I got from amazon, was very cheap with rave reviews, the box does not mention the orchestra but think it was something associated with a radio station. Anyway, is nice and something to enjoy before the 2pm afternoon concert from Tokyo.
                            Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Working...
                            X