Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And of course there's this ..........

Stand alone first movement, taken from Giuseppe Sinopli's Philharmonia recording - sampled, electronically treated?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post

Has anyone heard the VPO with Daniel Harding? I only had time for part of the first movement today, after my second-movement explorations; it sounds like perfection in instrumental playing but I'm not sure there's very much expressivity in it.
      Well, it was the recording which conquered my doubts about the Cooke performing version, largely because of the sheer beauty of the orchestral playing. The final minutes would break the hardest heart. But, I agree that it rather lacks expressivity - it can sometimes be a bit literal. It was recorded almost 15 years ago - and I suspect that Harding's interpretation might have deepended since then. Dausgaard is now my go-to version of the Cooke, although I often listen to Kurt Sanderling (and sometimes to Gielen). I'm afraid that I don't hugely care for Rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        Dausgaard is now my go-to version of the Cooke, although I often listen to Kurt Sanderling (and sometimes to Gielen). I'm afraid that I don't hugely care for Rattle.
        I will try the Dausgaard. I agree about Rattle, and as I mentioned I've been listening to Gielen in the last couple of days - although I have the feeling, without quite being able to put my finger on why, that his standalone Adagio was a more powerful performance than the same movement in the context of the five movement recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          And of course there's this ..........

Stand alone first movement, taken from Giuseppe Sinopoli's Philharmonia recording - sampled, electronically treated?
          I should really give that a listen too, though I don't feel too optimistic about it.

Comment

Just learned about this new BIS recording with a chamber orchestra version of Mahler 10 (haven't heard it myself):

Left unfinished at the death of the composer, Gustav Mahler's Tenth Symphony has exerted an enormous fascination on musicologists as well as musicians. Whether fully orchestrated

Review: https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au...tra-storgards/

Comment

An interesting 6 pages (346-52) in Bryan Magee's Confessions of a Philosopher on getting to know Cooke at a difficult period in his own life [he wrote a Memoir about Cooke], the Tenth, how he (Magee) tried to get Haitink to interest himself in it, parallels with Sussmayr and Alfano***, and how Cooke had planned a four-volume book on Wagner (about whom "Cooke's knowledge and understanding were if anything more prodigious than his knowledge and understanding of Mahler...". And on how Cooke was not a verbal person - "He was an object lesson in some of the realities of thinking without music".

(I was at the premiere of the second performing version on 15 October 1972, conducted by Wyn Morris - (was it the Philharmonia? can't remember). Cooke was in the RFH, stood up in his seat to take applause, brandished the score and pointed heavenwards.)

***Looking back through this fascinating thread I thought it worth resurrecting gradus's interesting post #96 here, and the much-missed Roehre's a few posts later...
              Last edited by Guest; 20-08-19, 09:02.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                Just learned about this new BIS recording with a chamber orchestra version of Mahler 10 (haven't heard it myself):

Left unfinished at the death of the composer, Gustav Mahler's Tenth Symphony has exerted an enormous fascination on musicologists as well as musicians. Whether fully orchestrated

Review: https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au...tra-storgards/
                See: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...0-Remade-Again

et al.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  Thanks for the link HD - and please, everyone who retains the essential musical curiosity - please ignore the flippancy about typefaces!

This is a wonderful Mahler 10 - open your ears, your mind, and enjoy it....
                  It led me to much closer investigation of other arrangements..... difficult to find now, but if you can seek out "Mazzetti II" with the Cincinnati/Lopez-Cobos, you'll find much to reward and inspire there too...

Comment

I've been listening to SJ's BaL on the 10th again and wish I had recalled its availability during a recent Facebook exchange regarding the validity of preparing performing versions of the sketches. It was a very good BaL in terms of making a strong case for not regarding the Adagio as having been completed.

Comment

I notice, also, that Simon Rattle may have stopped performing no. 10. There's no performance on the BPO's Digital Concert Hall archive.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                        I notice, also, that Simon Rattle may have stopped performing no. 10. There's no performance on the BPO's Digital Concert Hall archive.
                        And the LSO appear to have put only the Adagio from their 2018 Barbican performance of all 5 movements of a Cooke performing version, on Youtube. There again the omission could be specifically a Berlin Phil decision. After all, their fancy CD and Blu-ray Mahler multi-conductor set only has the Adagio (though not a Rattle performance, in that case, he only got the 7th and 8th).

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          And the LSO appear to have put only the Adagio from their 2018 Barbican performance of all 5 movements of a Cooke performing version, on Youtube. There again the omission could be specifically a Berlin Phil decision. After all, their fancy CD and Blu-ray Mahler multi-conductor set only has the Adagio (though not a Rattle performance, in that case, he only got the 7th and 8th).
                          Oops, forgot to check whether he'd done it recently (relatively recently) with the LSO!

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                            Oops, forgot to check whether he'd done it recently (relatively recently) with the LSO!
                            I was present at that Barbican performance in 2018, coupled, if I remember correctly, with a typically fine Tippett Rose Lake.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                            X