Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
    Well, that was pretty awesome, I thought. I said it at Christmas, but Daniel Hyde has got this choir back up to top notch. The beautifully nuanced Bainton at the end was deeply moving. The tenors make or break this piece and the ones on show here were to die for. I hadn't previously come across Chilcott's "Now the green blade riseth", but was very taken with it. A very striking setting - and not at all a bad impression of a Song Thrush.

I completely agree. The Bainton and the Byrd were the highlights for me, which was also the case live, back in December, with the superlative tenor contributions to both being particularly striking and moving.

Seated just under the organ, the opening bird call in the Chilcott made me jump as I thought a mobile phone had gone off at maximum volume...

I thought “Were you there...” was especially beautifully sung, too.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Lots I didn't know about Bainton on Wiki, but I thought this extract particularly interesting: first Englishman to conduct the Concertgebouw.

In the summer of 1914 Bainton visited Germany to attend the Bayreuth Festival, but was arrested after war broke out. As a male enemy alien of military age he was sent to the civilian detention camp at Ruhleben, near Berlin, where he remained for the next four years. Bainton was put in charge of all the music at the camp and became acquainted with Ernest MacMillan, Edward Clark and Arthur Benjamin, among other later successful musicians. He maintained many of these friendships throughout his career. In March 1918 his health deteriorated and he was sent to The Hague to recuperate. Following the Armistice, he became the first Englishman to conduct the Concertgebouw Orchestra, in two concerts of British music before returning to England.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        BBMk2. He's called Dan(iel) Hyde, and was I think Cleobury's preferred successor. He came from doing a short-ish spell at St Thomas Fifth Avenue New York, but is a King's man.
        Oh right. That's great to know that he is a King's man and the preferred chap to be Cleobury's successor.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Lots I didn't know about Bainton on Wiki, but I thought this extract particularly interesting: first Englishman to conduct the Concertgebouw.

In the summer of 1914 Bainton visited Germany to attend the Bayreuth Festival, but was arrested after war broke out. As a male enemy alien of military age he was sent to the civilian detention camp at Ruhleben, near Berlin, where he remained for the next four years. Bainton was put in charge of all the music at the camp and became acquainted with Ernest MacMillan, Edward Clark and Arthur Benjamin, among other later successful musicians. He maintained many of these friendships throughout his career. In March 1918 his health deteriorated and he was sent to The Hague to recuperate. Following the Armistice, he became the first Englishman to conduct the Concertgebouw Orchestra, in two concerts of British music before returning to England.
          That's very interesting, thanks. Here is the programme for the two concerts Bainton gave with the Concertgebouw in December 1918:

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Since we're discussing Bainton, I can really recommend this CD: there's some very attractive music here (which you can also find on YouTube).

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              That's very interesting, thanks. Here is the programme for the two concerts Bainton gave with the Concertgebouw in December 1918:

http://archief.concertgebouworkest.n...rchive/search/
              The following BBC feature about Ruhleben is still available: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00013y8
              Last edited by mopsus; 13-04-20, 15:02. Reason: Thought 44 minutes was how long you left before the programme was deleted, but it's the length of the programme.

Comment

Which of them hasn't been?
                ...Stephen Cleobury!

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                  If you are quick you can catch the following: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00013y8
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by organista View Post
                    ...Stephen Cleobury!
                    True. Mental hiccup there. Sorry.

Comment

True. Mental hiccup there. Sorry.
                      A.H. Mann, Ord?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterboroughDiapason View Post
                        A.H. Mann, Ord?
                        Yes, but they pre-dated the era of organ scholars.

Comment

Yes, but they pre-dated the era of organ scholars.
                          True. It’s actually split 50/50 3 non Kings men and 3 ex Kings. But the non KIngs men jointly racked up 118 years since 1876. It’s interesting how our perceptions can distort things.

Comment

Daniel Hyde is a great musician. Plus, he reminds me of Postman Pat. I thought the music and performances excellent. Donal McCann stands out to me, even among Kings organ scholars. Loved the guest soprano too. Shame not to get the full voluntary but as usual/expected!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

After that truly sublime performance of 'And I saw' under Daniel Hyde's inspiring direction, I feel prompted to write that latterly Edgar Bainton emigrated to Sydney, Australia, to become the director of the Conservatorium of Music. He was also acting organist of my Cathedral, St Andrew's, after one of my predecessors met an untimely end. Bainton also had his funeral at St Andrew's, after suffering a heart attack at the beach, where he used to swim every day. There are still several around who remember him, I think particularly of my son's piano teacher who had him as her principal. She found him extremely pompous!

Comment

Agree about the Bainton (tenor heaven, BTW). They sang the Byrd very beautifully, though I personally like a more Westminster Cathedral sound for it. The nearest I can find online is New College Oxford...the complete Ne Irascaris...and they avoid that ficta sharp (which I hate with a passion).

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesCantiones Cacrae: Ne irascaris Domine · Choir of New College Oxford/Edward HigginbottomByrd: Cantiones Sacrae 1...

Comment

Working...
                                X