New Year Honours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnificat

I support the Honours system but only for service over and above the call of duty not just for being good at your job or profession be it actor, film star, sportsman, politician, civil servant or choirmaster etc.

A friend of mine was awarded the OBE last year gazetted as being for services as a civil servant in the Cabinet Office but I like to think that it was also because of his voluntary work over many years as executive trustee of the St Albans Cathedral Music Trust. He was not a professional fundraiser but through his drive, enthusiasm and imagination raised millions of pounds towards the restoration of the Abbey organ and to securing its choral tradition through chorister endowments. The money is still coming in although he has now retired.

All this in addition to being a choir parent ( with a son who sang for BR and a daughter who was a founding member of the Abbey girls' choir ) which at St Albans takes over your life for at least seven years if involved with one choir let alone two.

I am sure that there are others just as dedicated to maintaining our great choral tradition. I hope that the church authorities make sure that they are recommended for honours.

Comment

Working...
    X